Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rome: Stafford Auto Supply

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wayne Buys Lunch

I got a big suprise this weekend from Wayne showing up. I had just asked Wayne on Thursday if he was ever get another job up here in Houston. Like always we have agreat time when we are together. We have never been mad at each other even when I called a gun jumping on him in FT. Worth. He still thinks I was blind that day. Thanks for all the great years of being a wonderfull friend and all the good times.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It was a great day

It was great day as any day I get to spend time with Wayne . Wayne and I have had more fun in over 40 years. I dont ever remember either one of us ever getting mad at each other .Even when I threw him out of a world championship.He will tell you I wes blind for a day,but he knew I was doing my job .They can never say I gave my friend a special break. Thanks for all the good times Wayne.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You were blind that day Joe, or maybe just that one heat. I have been tossed out before when I thought I was legal, but I never challenged a ruling. I was a good two seconds behind, and you know that unlike the early years I was making good starts by then. But you were the man in stripes that day. I knew you would never be influenced, and that's not why I told you that you were wrong. When it comes to boat racing and the rules, you do not compromise one inch. How could we ever get mad at one another. We owe each other for helping get out of a few tight spots, plus all the fun we had. Still have. If it weren't for Joe, I wouldn't be here at this forum getting back in touch with old friends and making new ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple of shots of Joe at the Pro Nationals at Winona, Minn. in 1975. I believe that is Homer Kincaid behind him. I figure the second pic is when Joe is contemplating lunch. It was a great race course, and the whole event was a big success, except the only thing to eat was hot dogs. When you are there for a week, it gets old after awhile. I think Joe is thinking if there are any different ways to fix it. I'm not sure he still eats hot dogs anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default winona food and drink

Hi Wayne:

Your story about Joe and the hot dog reminds me of the Grain Belt beer tent there. I don't remember which year it was, but early in the afternoon of the last day, Grain Belt had a LOT of beer left. They made an announcement that from then on the rest of the day the beer was free. It was so bad even the boat racers wouldn't drink it even though they were giving it away. Perhaps Grain Belt had the hot dog stand also. First and last time I ever saw beer a boat racer wouldn't drink, especially since it was free.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot Dogs - Ugggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

That's right, no hot dogs for me!! I never ate so many hot dogs in my life. Every time I see someone eating a hot dog, I have to tell them why I don't eat them and about the week in Winona. We got to the race early in the morning and left late at night. So, all we had to eat was the hot dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default & that's not all folks...........

..........Joe doesn't drink....so the free beer meant nothing to him. Joe does like methanol with a touch of castor oil though. That smell and the sound of an army of angry bees will keep Joe planted in the pits.

Post Thanks / Like

These two pics are from the PRO Western Divisionals at Marine Creek Lake near Fort Worth, Texas 1975.

I don't know what Joe is laying on our good friend Reles LeBlanc. Joe doesn't golf so he couldn't have been explaining how a bad grip messed up Reles' shoulder. No....it must have had something to do with boat racing or the concession stand. Maybe explaining how he knocked the legs out from under the table holding all the weiners. I went up to Houston to tag up with Joe, then we went by Houston intercontinetal in his B&W pickup in the background. We picked up a friend that had flown in from Chicago. We rode to the races in the back with the camper shell.

The next one is Joe helping Al Davis to his left and Troy Dunn on the other side of the transom lift Jim McKeans boat. Jim was piggybacked by a TV newsreporter. The cameraman was outside this frame. To the left observing were Alan Ishii and Kenneth James. Hidden behind the spray was motor cranker "Big Jim" Richardson the bear wrestler.
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 07-27-2008 at 06:46 AM. Reason: addition

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple from the Baytown Joe Bowdler Memorial race on Memorial Day in 1975. I took these just hours before I stuffed my brand new Butts "Texas Tornado" and went out of action.

Joe and Louis are wondering what to do with that cable. The other is Louis, Joe and Roddy. What a trio. It's a shame I can't tell some of the stories those three were involved in.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe never ceases to amaze me. His "stepson" heads up the Texas Rangers (the real ones....not the baseball team), was friends with one of the most famous bootmakers, used to hang around AJ Foyt's shop, knew Red Adair, friends with Marshall Grant and Carl Perkins, and on and on.

Today I call up Joe to ask who he is rooting for in the Superbowl and he just said "Aw....I don't know. I'm just going to lay around and watch it." Normally I don't watch it, but this year some part time neighbors's son will be playing. They live in San Antonio, but have a lake house just down the road and play spades with us. Their son Michael Toudouze is an offensive tackle for the Colts. He has one ring, but was injured and had surgery last year. He recouped and they resigned him in December. I wanted to Saints to win until then....but now I guess I'll just be like Joe and watch.

But, when I told Joe we got another spades player who lives straight across the water from us whose son played for the Buffalo Bills, Joe asked "Who". I told him it was Shane Nelson who was a linebacker. Joe says, "I've met him before." So I said "How in the world did you meet an NFL player from Buffalo"?
    He proceeded to tell me how he came to know Elijah Pitts who coached at Buffalo. Joe met him when he was with the Oilers and who finished his career with the Saints. Everytime they played in Houston, Joe went to dinner with him and his family. Joe used to send BBQ wood to Elijah up in Buffalo. Elijah started out as a player with the Green Bay Packers and in the very first superbowl scored two touchdowns from 5 yards out, and 1 yard. Elijah gave Joe a Buffalo Bills jacket signed by himself, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith. So even on Super Bowl weeked, Joe has a good story to tell. With Joe, you never know when you jump off into a subject. You can ask Ron. I thought we would never get out of the Cracker Barrel the morning he first met Joe. I don't think Ron mentioned hardly anybody in boat racing that Joe didn't know something about.

Thread Information