Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Opinions requested re: overlap rule

Post Thanks / Like

Listen, this conversation could and has gone on for weeks. Bottom line is that the call needs to be made from the driver seat in the boat. If your the slower boat than it makes no sense what so ever to slam the door on a faster boat coming up the inside. What do you accomplish? NOTHING if your slower he's going to pass you in another lap or so anyway. If your the faster boat same question. What sence does it make to slam the door on the slower boat because your faster and are going to outrun him anyway.

It comes down to knowing what the hell is going on around you when driving the boat. 99% of the crashes we have are because of the pit guy on the bank telling the driver to slam the door or move over a lane. Take away the radios and make a driver look in his mirrors and be aware of his surroundings and half these crashes won't happen.

Damn guys, if we can't learn to give and take and drive these boats with our heads we don't need to be racing.

This shouldn't even be a topic for discussion because it's day one sh!t. Respect your fellow drivers and yourself and pay attention to whats going on around you. It shouldn't be so close of a call that a turn boat judge should have to be asked, leave a lane for another boat and make a CLEAN pass. I do and I can tell you that I've NEVER hurt anyone and never had anyone pissed off at me after a race for driving like and idiot!
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

You can have any rule in place that you want. If drivers do not use their heads or their right foot to make decisions, you are always going to have these kind of accidents. You should have a pretty good idea on what that person you are going in to the turn with is going to do. This is called racing and your boat is going to get damaged at times.
    "Racin Is Livin, Everything Else Is Waitin"

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=tthibodaux;55858]It comes down to knowing what the hell is going on around you when driving the boat. 99% of the crashes we have are because of the pit guy on the bank telling the driver to slam the door or move over a lane. Take away the radios and make a driver look in his mirrors and be aware of his surroundings and half these crashes won't happen.QUOTE]

Again, as drivers we are driving from the boat using our judgement! Just because a radio guy might say something over the radio does not mean he has to do it or will do it. For some of who use the devices like the HANS and other equipment, we need radio guys since we cant turn our heads. Taking away radio men creates just more stupidity on the race course.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jose jr21.;55861]
    Quote Originally Posted by tthibodaux View Post
    It comes down to knowing what the hell is going on around you when driving the boat. 99% of the crashes we have are because of the pit guy on the bank telling the driver to slam the door or move over a lane. Take away the radios and make a driver look in his mirrors and be aware of his surroundings and half these crashes won't happen.QUOTE]

Again, as drivers we are driving from the boat using our judgement! Just because a radio guy might say something over the radio does not mean he has to do it or will do it. For some of who use the devices like the HANS and other equipment, we need radio guys since we cant turn our heads. Taking away radio men creates just more stupidity on the race course.
    HANS device or not all boats have mirrors on them and I can see perfectly clear in mine. Maybe in the first turn madness there is some doubt about where a boat is but after that you can't tell me as a driver your not aware of who is around you. These moves in question on the race coarse aren't being done by accident there intentional and pointless. I didn't have a radio at Port Neches and never one time lost track of where another boat was. In the middle of my own battle I was aware of the leaders coming up and left room for them to SAFELY get by while I continued to race the boat I was racing with. Not tooting my own horn just stating the facts, It's possible to know what the hell is going on around you and drive safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim hit the nail on the head !!!! I think radios are only good for the starts and the first turn. Other than that, I think you just talk to the driver. I have never used them and I don't need a radio guy to tell me when to turn or who is coming up on me. I have always used my mirrors and know who is coming up on me. If I step up and use the radios, my guy is noty gonna tell me how to drive. I won't listen. If I dont like a situation then I back off and try again. If not, who cares about one spot, points wise, verses a damaged boat and possible injury. Just use your head everyone!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott23 View Post
    Tim hit the nail on the head !!!! I think radios are only good for the starts and the first turn. Other than that, I think you just talk to the driver. I have never used them and I don't need a radio guy to tell me when to turn or who is coming up on me. I have always used my mirrors and know who is coming up on me. If I step up and use the radios, my guy is noty gonna tell me how to drive. I won't listen. If I dont like a situation then I back off and try again. If not, what is one position points wise verses a damaged boat and possible injury. Just use your head everyone!!!
    I remember one of my first races in my SST-70 boat. After a race where I had been chopped and ran all over the course I confronted the driver afterwards about it. He had no clue what he did, or so he said!!! He said I forgot you were out there or I didnt see you. How he never saw me I dont know cause I was all over him inside and out for the whole heat. As a racer or driver how do you "NOT" know what is going on around you. After I cooled down and thought about it, its actually pretty scary considering there people out there driving boats over 100mph who dont have a clue whats going on around them.

Steve Tabara
    Last edited by TabaraRacing12; 06-05-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like

AS WRITTEN BY TIM!
    Listen, this conversation could and has gone on for weeks. Bottom line is that the call needs to be made from the driver seat in the boat. If your the slower boat than it makes no sense what so ever to slam the door on a faster boat coming up the inside. What do you accomplish? NOTHING if your slower he's going to pass you in another lap or so anyway.

MY VIEW
    What? I have seen it done to me and done it to other drivers for 30 laps!! Just because your faster dosn't guaranty you a position in the final. On the short courses you don't have enough speed to get the 2 or 3 boat lengths that you can get on longer straits! This isn't NASCAR, we don't race the last hundred miles for first. Nor do we have pit stradagy come into play!We race the hole race. Steve brought up alot of good points on distances for starts and course length. I also feel that holding your line in the corners is a joke! You will almost never see a lap boat stay with the leader all the way down the front streach on a long course. If your fast you shine!

As for the 2 flag starts, The 1st guy on the second flag should have the same oppertunity to pass a boat or two in the fist turn as everyone else. thats another reason why on larger courses I suggested 1 flag. Larger meaning width not length!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=tthibodaux;55862]
    Quote Originally Posted by jose jr21. View Post
    HANS device or not all boats have mirrors on them and I can see perfectly clear in mine. Maybe in the first turn madness there is some doubt about where a boat is but after that you can't tell me as a driver your not aware of who is around you. These moves in question on the race coarse aren't being done by accident there intentional and pointless. I didn't have a radio at Port Neches and never one time lost track of where another boat was. In the middle of my own battle I was aware of the leaders coming up and left room for them to SAFELY get by while I continued to race the boat I was racing with. Not tooting my own horn just stating the facts, It's possible to know what the hell is going on around you and drive safe.
    Just because some of us have radio guys, does not mean they do not know what is going on around them. Last time I checked, I know my radio guy (my father) does not tell me how to drive. Again, the driver in the boat is responsible, not raido guys, crew guys, or w/e we want to blame accidents on. We all have ears, feet and a brain to make good moves on the race course.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jose jr21.;55872]
    Quote Originally Posted by tthibodaux View Post

Just because some of us have radio guys, does not mean they do not know what is going on around them. Last time I checked, I know my radio guy (my father) does not tell me how to drive. Again, the driver in the boat is responsible, not raido guys, crew guys, or w/e we want to blame accidents on. We all have ears, feet and a brain to make good moves on the race course.
    Your taking this all wrong. I wasn't speaking of YOU or what your dad tells you on the radio. I was talking about in general what goes on. If you have never heard a crew guy tell his driver to slam the door then you haven't spent much time standing on the dock at a race. I personally have spent the better part of 30 years and have been guilty myself of telling my driver to slam the door. Your correct a driver shouldn't listen but fact is they do or we wouldn't be having the conversation. It all goes back to the driver needs to pay attention to what is going on around him and make good moves. A lot of the time when someone slams the door it's because their pissed off because they got held up to long as was the case in a previously discussed topic from Port Neches.

I watched you get run all over the race coarse in Port Neches for two heats in a row. I was also standing next to the guy with the RADIO who was helping drive the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,

Let me correct how my last post came across, I was by no means trying to say that you meant me. I was just using myself as an example. I just do not think its correct to say that radio men increase the amount of accident. My overall point on this topic, we are in the boat, we drive the boat, the boat does not drive us, radio men does not drive us. If you get in a compromising position, the driver has options to get out of them. Sometimes accidents just happen. We should be able to race hard, aggressive and at the same intelligently.

To clarify my original post when I mentioned the Hans. What I meant by that is, I can see perfectly fine out of the mirrors, I was just referring to how you can't move your head side to side to see what is exactly next to you

Your right about me getting pushed all over the course and hit in the middle of the straighaway in Texas. Its all part of racing, and to be honest if I would have done a better job behind the wheel, I should have been able to pass him easily. There was no excuse for me to be in that position in the first place.
    See you in a couple weeks
    Last edited by jose jr21.; 06-05-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: grammar

Thread Information