Thread: Opinions requested re: overlap rule

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jose jr21. View Post
    tiff made a mistake and turned in too early,,,,,,,,thats all,,,,
    as a rookie to 45,,,you see it that way,,,,,,,,
    and thats refreshing for others to see
    and hopefully act on in same manner
    john

First of all, I was watching Tiffany the whole race and I have to step in here and say that it was totally a clean pass, and from our vantage point at the dock, it looked liked the other boat just went through the roostertail.
    Lets just admitt it, it was Tims fault! His pickel was to long.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default overlap on start

I like the idea of maintaining your lane on the start all the way around the first turn.

And I totally agree that when space allows there should never be a two flag start with the second group of boat all being sent to the inside to follow up the pack. It is more dangerous to have the second group following tight behind in the roostertails than to have one big line of boats. There is no vision and no time to avoid someone spinning out in the group of boat ahead especially when it is the inverse start and the fast boats are at the back.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cnunez55 View Post
    Lets just admitt it, it was Tims fault! His pickel was to long.
    probably the first time Tim has been accused of that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foxjay5419 View Post
    I like the idea of maintaining your lane on the start all the way around the first turn.

And I totally agree that when space allows there should never be a two flag start with the second group of boat all being sent to the inside to follow up the pack. It is more dangerous to have the second group following tight behind in the roostertails than to have one big line of boats. There is no vision and no time to avoid someone spinning out in the group of boat ahead especially when it is the inverse start and the fast boats are at the back.

Jay
    If you require everybody to maintan there lane thrugh the first turn you might as well use the start dock draw as the order of finish. Unless somebodey doesn't start that will be your finish in one big parade.

You can't make it completly safe with rules but the drivers can sure up their odds by using common sense when it is needed.

If you can't see what is in front of you then maybe you better take your foot of the pedal or make a safe lane change for better visibility.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

it is obvious and easy to say take your foot out of it (changing lanes is not so easy on the start when the roost if not just one lane wide and there are boats on either side) and some people will do just that but the reality is when drivers are in the heat of the moment many will not do what they say they are going to do from the office chair. I think we have gotten into the habbit of 2 flag starts with the second group diving under but I think it might be better racing and better for safety when space allows to all start on one flag.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DKL View Post
    probably the first time Tim has been accused of that
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foxjay5419 View Post
    it is obvious and easy to say take your foot out of it (changing lanes is not so easy on the start when the roost if not just one lane wide and there are boats on either side) and some people will do just that but the reality is when drivers are in the heat of the moment many will not do what they say they are going to do from the office chair.
    Jay
    Thats what seprates someone with experience from a rookie. They know what to do when they need to without even thinking about it.

It's naturaul for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sst45jefff View Post
    Thats what seprates someone with experience from a rookie. They know what to do when they need to without even thinking about it.

It's naturaul for them.

I know everyone has their own opinions on this, but there was a situation in St Louis one year (a long time ago) where it was the experienced (but slower) driver who caused a fast rookie to lose his chance at a hard fought win.

The scenario:

The "rookie" 120 driver (actually a champion sst 45 driver who had moved up in class) had some bad luck in previous heats, making him start last on the dock, and was kicking butt and making great strides in moving up in position rapidly. It was clear that he had the speed on the entire field.

As he entered the first bouy of the judges stand turn coming around the island (George Winter Park) there was a slower boat just ahead, who had passed the first bouy and then went wide, and was making a large "arc" type turn in front of the judges stand.

The "rookie" saw how wide the other boat had gone, and since it was clear from our view that he now had the inside lane with many boat lanes separating the two, the rookie opted to take the exit pin as close as possible -- closest inside lane -- as any of us would have done when we know that our boat is so much faster than the other guy.

But the "experienced" driver was still a few boat lengths in front - in other words, he had the "overlap" still. Just as the rookie was setting up for the buoy, the other driver ended his wide "arc turn" and decided to turn hard, now aimed directly for the bouy (keep in mind he was also being lapped by the rookie).

So in a flash, the rookie had no choice but to take evasive action and crank to the right to avoid spearing or driving over the guy, which caused him to shoot through the veteran driver's rooster tail. He was going so fast at the time, that by the time he regained control, he was nearly on docks!

The chance of him getting a win was now impossible.

Now, I was sure that the veteran driver was going to get a penalty for this act, since where I grew up (on the west coast) we always were taught that we couldn't do anything during the turn that could cause a wreck - that includes slamming the door on another boat that has already begun overtaking you.

In fact, at every single Havasu Classic Championship race we were drilled by George May, over and over with the words "MAINTAIN YOUR LANE", meaning, where you enter is also where you exit when taking the corners.

So I was just shocked when the race committee said there was no infration made during that turn. They said, "The first boat had overlap". Period.

What was most shocking to me was even the father of the rookie (and my husband too) agreed with this, and stated that his son shouldn't have "stuck his nose" in there.

I said, "Why not? He was LAPPING the guy who wasn't even in that lane at the time he "stuck" his nose in there!"

But I had no argument. Rules are rules.

Even today, it still doesn't make sense to me....I'd much rather see the fastest guys win without getting taken out by slower boats. But that's what the majority want, so that's what we'll get, I guess?

My point is that those unwritten "gentleman's rules" that bring back sanity aren't always followed no matter which experience level is involved.

I'm not racing anymore, so I don't have any voice. But just something for those who are racing to think about......

I'm off my soapbox now...thanks for listening! lol

Val

jimsummers

here is the deal, if you think they wont slam the door on you Think again. if your behind even if your lapping a boat going into a turn better give them room. I had the door slamed on me last year by boats I was lapping not laped, lapping during a race. We asked if we could have the inside line give us some room, yea yea yea come on in the water is fine, next thing I know door gets slamed on me. guess what? its RACING

some time these boats do things we dont want them to do so Think before you just dive in there

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimsummers View Post
    here is the deal, if you think they wont slam the door on you Think again. if your behind even if your lapping a boat going into a turn better give them room. guess what? its RACING

some time these boats do things we dont want them to do so Think before you just dive in there

amen
    “Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen”

Thread Information