Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Opinions requested re: overlap rule

Post Thanks / Like

If I am in the going into a turn and I am racing someone(whether I am in the front or back of the pack), I will hold my lane and race them. If I am being lapped then I always move to the outside and let the front runners race. Most of the drivers on our circuit know I will move outside if they are going to overtake me. If it is not costing me a position then why hinder them? If you can't pass them safely before you reach the pin then hold your lane and try for the next straight or turn. To me it is a great race if I go out and have fun and put me and the boat back on the trailer in one piece! If you have a vendeta for someone leave it on shore. 100 + mph is no place for it! I don't know about the rest of you but I have a ball racing. When it stops being fun then it's time for me to quit! There's my .02 worth.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I have stayed out of this till now, and to me it is a very simple and very clear rule.

Leave it alone, and the turn judges need to enforce BOTH parts of the rule, not just the cockpit-to-cockpit part of it.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jose jr21. View Post
    Tim,

Let me correct how my last post came across, I was by no means trying to say that you meant me. I was just using myself as an example. I just do not think its correct to say that radio men increase the amount of accident. My overall point on this topic, we are in the boat, we drive the boat, the boat does not drive us, radio men does not drive us. If you get in a compromising position, the driver has options to get out of them. Sometimes accidents just happen. We should be able to race hard, aggressive and at the same intelligently.

To clarify my original post when I mentioned the Hans. What I meant by that is, I can see perfectly fine out of the mirrors, I was just referring to how you can't move your head side to side to see what is exactly next to you

Your right about me getting pushed all over the course and hit in the middle of the straighaway in Texas. Its all part of racing, and to be honest if I would have done a better job behind the wheel, I should have been able to pass him easily. There was no excuse for me to be in that position in the first place.
    See you in a couple weeks
    Jose, I want to appoligize. Seems like both of us have misspoken so that our words seemed directed unintentionally.

You guys know what I mean about drivers using their heads and also about crew members driving boats from the dock. I just ran it all into one sentence. We have all said the same thing in that drivers need to pay attention and drive smart. If you read back it becomes repetitive. I think we all get the point.

Lets just be safe guys and have fun for the rest of the season! Good luck to everyone! I'll do my part to drive smart and hope my fellow competitors will do the same.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

To all who have contributed to this very important and touchy thread, I would like to thank and commend every one of you for the extremely civil way this discussion has been conducted.

For Ron, Ted, Jeff and myself ... thanks for making BRF the place to present the differing opinions on this issue without fighting or name calling that happens too often on other sites.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I really thought the overlap rule was only in effect when the turn judge could see throught the spray in the turn. Other than that if you were in a position to probably live through your lane or position change you did it. I guess I'm old school.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by largecar91 View Post
    If I am in the going into a turn and I am racing someone(whether I am in the front or back of the pack), I will hold my lane and race them. If I am being lapped then I always move to the outside and let the front runners race. Most of the drivers on our circuit know I will move outside if they are going to overtake me. If it is not costing me a position then why hinder them? If you can't pass them safely before you reach the pin then hold your lane and try for the next straight or turn. To me it is a great race if I go out and have fun and put me and the boat back on the trailer in one piece! If you have a vendeta for someone leave it on shore. 100 + mph is no place for it! I don't know about the rest of you but I have a ball racing. When it stops being fun then it's time for me to quit! There's my .02 worth.
    :::::APPLAUSE:::::APPLAUSE:::::

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

how is it written?, if it says some thin like, once the cockpit is a head of the cockpit of the hull bein passed, you Can Take the lane once your hull's ( the one makin the pass) cockpit is ahead of his and cut him off. cuzz thats what that says.

if it says some thing like, once your transom has cleared his bow plus 1/2 a boat length you should never get "cut off".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Fred View Post
    how is it written?, if it says some thin like, once the cockpit is a head of the cockpit of the hull bein passed, you Can Take the lane once your hull's ( the one makin the pass) cockpit is ahead of his and cut him off. cuzz thats what that says.

if it says some thing like, once your transom has cleared his bow plus 1/2 a boat length you should never get "cut off".
    Hi Fred,

The OPC rules are different than the "minimum distance" rules found in other categories. In OPC, they say it's an infraction only when "contact" is made. But yet they say the overlap is established when the cockpit "is even with the cockpit of the overtaken boat".

So the way this rule reads, if you are about to pass another boat on the inside but you aren't yet "cockpit to cockpit", maybe your cockpit is at his transom --and the boat you are passing suddenly chops you and your reflexes are quick enough to avoid that collision, then there's no infraction. But if you have slow reflexes and you hit the boat that is chopping you off - then there IS an infraction, but it's not the "chopping" boat getting the infraction --- the boat being chopped is going to get the penalty, because the rules read: "A safe overlap is the responsibility of the overtaking boat."

Here's how the OPC rules read (from apba-racing.com OPC rule book)

RULE 9 OVERLAP
    1. An overlap is established only when two boats are on the same course, or approximately the same course, and the cockpit of the overtaking boat, if
    overtaking from the inside, is even with the cockpit of the overtaken boat. When overtaking from the outside, an overlap is established when the overtaking boat has passed the overtaken boat sufficiently to change lanes without contact. The following rules shall apply to an overlap:
    ..A. The lead boat has the right of way until an overlap is established.
    ..B. A safe overlap is the responsibility of the overtaking boat.
    ..C. Once an overlap is established, the overtaken boat must give the overtaking boat room to clear any course markers.
    ..D. The overtaking boat cannot force an overlap after the lead boat has begun to alter course to negotiate a turn.
    ..E. An overlap can occur from port or starboard.
    2. Bearing away as defined in the General Racing Rules is defined as occurring from either port or starboard in OPC racing.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

-and the boat you are passing suddenly chops you and your reflexes are quick enough to avoid that collision, then there's no infraction. But if you have slow reflexes and you hit the boat that is chopping you off - then there IS an infraction, but it's not the "chopping" boat getting the infraction --- the boat being chopped is going to get the penalty, because the rules read: "A safe overlap is the responsibility of the overtaking boat."
    interesting, well not goin into what i think about said drivin. thinkin letter "C"
    maybe could be moded to cover said things with out messin with the intent.
    the intent beenin from what i read is Real Racin No Rubbin. maybe no rubbin for any one be best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK View Post
    So, to be subject to a penalty, they should have ended up like the two boats in the video - both destroyed?

In other words, since the second boat in the St Louis story was quick on the wheel and averted disaster, (but lost his second place position), that's why there was no penalty?
    My point was that there should have been a penalty and if you dont give the penaltys when they are do than the ofending driver either
    1. Has no clue and keeps doing it or
    2. does it again because they got away with it.

The rules dont work if they are not enforced.

Thread Information