Thread: Super Swede ... Lars Strom

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It really is incredible Lars. When I took another look at the picture and saw all that tape, I figured then that was your trip. Then I looked at the other cats in the pits and yours were not there so I figured you didn't stay for the racing. What a chance encounter. And had it not been for the internet and BRF, those photos would have been just another couple of frames on a roll of film instead an early recording of the year you spent with Volvo Konig. Now it is a part of your incredible racing history. I was glad I happened to chance upon them and post them at this particular time of your story.

I would like to see you also Lars and talk about those days. Maybe we can make it happen.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Race in Gronningen, Holland 1977

The very good 3 hour Race of Amsterdam came to an end 1976.

I got a invitation from Holland 1977, to race OE in Gronningen instead and after some research I found
    out it was a pretty big race.

Curre and I took my new Chevy Van and the Molinari Volvo/Konig and headed for Gronningen/Holland.
    The City of Gronningen was really excited about the race and there was like a Party weekend
    and the Boat race.

If I remember right it was OE and ON, and I think this was one of the first races
    for Erwin Zimmerman in the ON class.

There was lots of OE boats and Paul Kalbs driver from Belgium, Willy Permanne was there.
    Michael Werner and his factory Mercury also.
    I think it was 2 X 30 minutes races and this was one of very few races that year when everything
    just went my way.
    The Volvo/Konig worked without any problems and I won both 30 minutes races and received
    a nice Trophy and some good price money.

In one way this was a very good year for me, but I could not use my Racing to sell more
    Evinrude Outboards.

The last Race of the season was Paris 6 Hours and back in Sweden I was working hard to find a way
    to get OMC Sweden ready to spend some money for my Racing.
    I know OMC hade a Policy that the only Racing expensies was thru Belgium, but I found out a
    way to get around that...

The next story is about how I got back to Racing with Evinrude 1978.....
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

A few more pics I found before you get to 1978 Lars. As I mentioned earlier I had remembered we had to move a few boats around at the time you were there. It was very crowded and Hans Krages Volvo Konig Danisch proprider and a Volvo Konig cat that looks like it was flying a flag from Netherlands. your Opel and boats were to the side of the bay where the cat was pushed to. I don't know why the boats had to be moved, because it looks like a straight shot out of the back, but maybe it wasn't. I wished I had a pic with you in it or at least a different angle, but at least here's one in color. I had been rigging up my boat when Dieter came to say he needed some help. So I guess I just grabbed a few quick photos and went back to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Thanks for your help.

Hans Krages OE boat was very interesting to watch at the Races.
    I remember he was a Porsche dealer and he took me for a spin at
    the Autobahn with one of his hot cars.
    That was a mistake by me.......

The cat with number 426 looks like a Scotti boat, but I dont think
    he ever built a OE boat.

I am still smiling at the photos you took of my two boats.

We where trying so hard to be secrete, but was not very successful
    I guess.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Wayne,

Thanks for your help.

Hans Krages OE boat was very interesting to watch at the Races.
    I remember he was a Porsche dealer and he took me for a spin at
    the Autobahn with one of his hot cars.
    That was a mistake by me.......

The cat with number 426 looks like a Scotti boat, but I dont think
    he ever built a OE boat.

I am still smiling at the photos you took of by two boats.

We where trying so hard to be secrete, but was not very successful
    I guess.
    That "426" boat sure looks a lot like a boat that Paul Bender had . A Shultze kneeler , that had been converted to a sit down boat .

Post Thanks / Like

You guys got me wondering about that boat, then I thought about that page I posted (#208) from the race program. You were right, but thought you weren't Lars. And I have a correction to make myself. The flag looked like it had a little green, but when I auto corrected and zoomed in it looked like blue. But it is Italian driver Remo Ranieri with a Volvo Konig on a Scotti.

I couldnt imagine what it would be like riding with Hans on an autobahn with him showing you what his Porsche would do. I did ride three blocks with him on Kurfurstendamm about 70 or 80 mph at about 1 in the morning. Hans was grinning the whole time. I don't know if you ever knew this about Hans, Lars. When he was about 18 he was caught by the East German guards trying to smuggle a magneto from West Berlin into the DDR. He raced motorcycles back then. He spent a year in the dark in solitary confinement in a room not much bigger than a telephone booth. I don't know if that had anything to do with the way he approached life, but he always seemed to live life to the fullest. He didn't seem to be afraid of anything, and the fast lane was his choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought you might like to see some photos of Dieter's shop Lars....about like it was when you first saw it. The office pic I think is Dieter's office, but it could have been the office of his right hand man Siegried Lubnow. But I'm pretty sure it is Dieter's.

Post Thanks / Like

Some stuff from Powerboat & Waterskiing. The first is part of an excellent article written by Mike Ward.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried to reach that part of my memory from way back when and after looking at the office pic, I think that it is Dieter's desk in the foreground and Sigfried's to the right and in the background and corner is the desk of Dieter's sister Margaret. If you look up on the shelf you will see a formula car. I don't know if it has anything to do with this picture, but about this same time a British car racing team wanted Dieter to make a proposal and build a prototype 12 cylinder motor for an F2 if my memory is correct. I may be totally mistaken about the particulars because I don't know anything about F2 except they are one of the launching grounds to get into F1. Whether or not 2 cycles are legal in F2...I don't know. I just remember Dieter saying he had been approached and that one of the things they required, or he figured it was necessary was to have a solid forged crankshaft and that seemed to be Dieter's stumbling block on whether he would plunge ahead or beg off. The engine was supposed to turn 12 or 15 thousand revs if my memory is not too delusional. I'm thinking the project didn't get much further.

Post Thanks / Like

This is from the June 1977 issue of Powerboat & Waterskiing.

Thread Information