Thread: Super Swede ... Lars Strom

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am writing about the Paris 6 hour race over in Sweden and need
    some help..

Where can I found info of all the US drivers in the Paris race, photos and or videos..??

Thank you

Lars
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lars, check in with Mike Ward in the U.K. He has checked in some here lately so you could try to pm him. He has a lot of info on all UIM outboard racing, and he has quite a few programs. It may be that he has some rosters from Paris. You didn't mention any specific year, so I gather you want a list of all US drivers that have competed???

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Paris race

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    I am writing about the Paris 6 hour race over in Sweden and need
    some help..

Where can I found info of all the US drivers in the Paris race, photos and or videos..??

Thank you

Lars
    Lars,

I have rosters of the 3 races that I ran in Paris, 1970 co-driving with Ron Hill, 1971 co-driving with Geoff Briggs & 1972 co-driving with Art Kennedy. Also Powerboat magazine usually provided great coverage of the race. I hace the magazine with the article written by Charlie Strang of the 1971 race where I had a 20 minute lead over second place, but blew the engine with about 50 minutes to go.If you would like copies of any of this let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Lars, check in with Mike Ward in the U.K. He has checked in some here lately so you could try to pm him. He has a lot of info on all UIM outboard racing, and he has quite a few programs. It may be that he has some rosters from Paris. You didn't mention any specific year, so I gather you want a list of all US drivers that have competed???

Hi and thank Wayne..

Is there a thread here at BRF with pictures and info about Paris 6 Hours..
    In my opinion..the greatest race in Power Boat history..

If not..maybe someone should start one..

I think you like this photo

Regards

Lars
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Is His First Name

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Hey Ron..

I put you to a test now..
    Who is it in the blue shirt..???

I think you know!!
    When I asked about Potter, I was thinking about John Tucker. HE was a fun guy, he always, "HUMPED" before he talked...It would be "HUMP', "Hump" well... (1967-1970 I'm guessing that he worked at OMC Belgium)...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Race site in Paris..

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Lars,

I have rosters of the 3 races that I ran in Paris, 1970 co-driving with Ron Hill, 1971 co-driving with Geoff Briggs & 1972 co-driving with Art Kennedy. Also Powerboat magazine usually provided great coverage of the race. I hace the magazine with the article written by Charlie Strang of the 1971 race where I had a 20 minute lead over second place, but blew the engine with about 50 minutes to go.If you would like copies of any of this let me know.
    Thanks John,

For the stuff in Sweden I need Paris 6 hour info from 1973 to 1986.
    but I still believe there should be a special thread here at BRF about
    the greatest race ever..
    We can all ad things there.
    From start?? to the last race and why is there no more 6 hour race in Paris..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Lars.....thanks for laying out the course. In all the years I have read about the race, I never saw a layout, or it being described as you have just placed it. I always thought t it was longer....but seeing all the hard surfaces, both inside and outside, I can see how grueling it must have been. I will E mail Mike with your request, and also check Ann Strangs columns in Propeller. While I do not necessarily agree that it's the greatest race (I like all out speed and cornering contests rather than pounding and endurance) I do agree that a thread on the Paris 6 hour would be a good thing for the encyclopedia.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Six Hours of Paris

Lars on your map, that little yellow spot is where there is a small Statue of Liberty. I had never been on the course, and Ted May started the race, at the pit stop Ted was yelling at me to "Watch it at the Statue of Liberty." I'm thinking, "Christ, Ted must have gotten hit in the head or some damn fool thing, as everyone knows the Statue of Liberty is in New York."

Turns out, it was rough as hell at The STATUE OF LIBERTY turn...

I ran there 1968-72. Interesting irony, I had tickets to fly to Paris, but stayed home as my daughter Jessica was born on the day of the Six Hours of Paris, 1973. I have not been back to France since 1972.

We should start a thread about The Six Hours, but it could also be under Outboard History as we did run outboards in Paris.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Lars on your map, that little yellow spot is where there is a small Statue of Liberty. .
    Japp..thatīs why I put the little yellow spot there..

I raced there 11 times..1973 to 1986.

If I remember right, one lap was just under 3 miles long and hundreds
    of thousands of people was watching the race.

When you tell people about racing in Sweden, Italy, USA, England, South Africa etc.
    they maybe listening..but when you tell them you raced 6 hours on the river Seine
    next to the Eiffel tower in the center of Paris.. they always want to know more..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

I have to concede that point to you Lars. You are right. And I do like the photo.

I sent a message off to Mike Ward. In his book he is showing the first Americans to finish in the top three were Jim Wynne and Walt Walters who finished second in 1964 with a Souters/Volvo in class R1.

The first Americans to win was the team of Johnny Sanders and Tommy Posey in 1970 in a Molinari. Mike didn't list the motor so don't know if it was Evinrude or Johnson in class ON. Mackinley and Sanders finished second the year before in a Johnson powered Molinari, so it probably was Johnson. I know Mike would appreciate any help in filling in the gaps of his results if anyone has more info.

There are a number of winners from the U.S. that teamed with drivers from another country.

Mikes book of UIM World Champion and other results range from 1938-2008, and he is always looking for updates. Paris 6 Hours is from 1955 through 1988 so I presume that was the final race. I had been out too long to keep up at that point.

Thread Information