Thread: Super Swede ... Lars Strom

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well!

He was not at OMC when most of the early mistakes were made. And if anything it would be whomever hired him and gave him the key's and ignored the obvious - Right! Like Lars said they hired an appliance guy to run an outboard company.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc

Quote Originally Posted by swmjake View Post
    He was not at OMC when most of the early mistakes were made. And if anything it would be whomever hired him and gave him the key's and ignored the obvious - Right! Like Lars said they hired an appliance guy to run an outboard company.
    Jake,

Oh yes he was. He came in as President from an auto manufacturing company,not an appliance company, but can't remember which. Strang was still Chairman. Chapman was instrumental in having the board slide Strang out & then Chapman initiated the move to but all those loser boat companies & sold off Cushman & Lawn-Boy to get some resources to finance the boat Company purchases.

I know well as I was with Lawn-Boy

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stand Corrected!

Your right about Chapman being at OMC - I was thinking of Hank Bowman (Appliance Guy). Chapman was not named President however until the Mid 80's - so my main point stands.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc

Your right about Chapman being at OMC - I was thinking of Hank Bowman (Appliance Guy). Chapman was not named President however until the Mid 80's - so my main point stands.
    That's correct, but the problems existed during Chapman's rein & they brought in Bowman who had no clue what do do after the mess Chapman left.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sam and Ron. This is very interesting stuff. Keep it coming. Not only are there some good inside stories being presented, but the documents and photos really make this one of the best threads on BRF.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wayne..

So Lars - sounds like you have some of the same thoughts about what happened to OMC that I do.

That said - whom would you blame most of OMC's demise on? - Just one name.
    There was so many things that happen over the years when I was racing and being an exclusive OMC dealer.
    If you read this thread you can easy see that I have been a very loyal OMC person.
    ..and still are.
    Well.. there was a very good reason for that ..I made a good living from.. trying hard to make all the OMC policy's work in my favor.
    I was a pretty difficult dealer and expected a lot back from OMC..
    As a dealer OMC let me down many times..but I just pushed forward.

When some one from OMC asked my opinion I always gave a straight answer.
    and here is my answer to swmjake ..

The Marine business was doing great in the early seventies..no Japs competition,,but it started in the late seventies in Europe.

The CEO back then was Charlie Strang and he was a good man but did not see
    the future.
    So the OMC down turn started on his term.
    I have meet Charlie Strang many many times..at the races and dealer meetings but
    he never paid attention to me.
    Not as a racer or a exclusive dealer..
    I think he was more an engineering man than a great leader for a big corporation.

Lots of poor decisions was done under his leader ship..and the ones following Charlie Strang was a disaster..

There is lots of stories to tell..if some one wants to read..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As Wayne, Ron, and others have said, there are many who are interested in this topic and would like to hear more, me included.

You are in a unique place Lars, to tell this story of a large corporation's demise. Far enough removed from your own connection, and the fact the company has a different owner now, give you a special opportunity to add to the history of this corporation, hopefully without any chance for repercussions on you personally, but still close enough time wise, that lots of the former employees and other interested people who bought, used and raced their products will appreciate your viewpoint and experiences. One thing that I have especially enjoyed is your stories of the competition between Mercury and OMC and anything more you have to add would be "icing on the cake".

Please continue, as this thread is truly one of the most interesting ones on BRF, for all the above reasons and especially with your telling the story from your perspective as a very successful OMC dealer and racer, in the years just prior to its problems and sale to Bombardier.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agree

Lars,

My family has been a loyal OMC dealer since 1957. And for a lot of those years was the largest Johnson dealer on the west coast. I have alway's been more concerned about the company (OMC - at the time) than my bottom line each year. I knew that a healthy OMC was better for me than a short term profit etc...

I agree with you 100% - from 1980 to 1993 - Charlie was either CEO or Chairman of the BOD's. One would have to conclude that nothing "Big" happened during this years without his approval. And I have heard as much from several long term executives. He ran the show - it was his to make or break. I still focus my attention on the decison not to pursue a four stroke engine???? Also, they sold off Cushman and Lawnboy during that time to raise capital and purchased 15 boat companies. And in 1985 entered once again into the Stern Drive business - and we all know how well that went. Cobra Drive parts are still today one of the biggest sellers of parts at SWM.

One might ask that in the five years OMC spent millions on the F1 V-8 Tour in the USA and abroad - has Mercury over all the years they have raced spent as much money net. Its the classic Turttle and the Hare.

I really like the direction and stability that BRP has given to the Evinrude brand - they are forward thinkers for sure. I just went to a dealer conference in Montreal and toured the Ski Doo, Sea Doo and Can Am facitlites - they then flew us to WI and we toured the Evinrude facitlity. All first class along with the people. They may not be involved in racing or supporting our sport in anyway - however they are honest about that and have other fish to fry right now. Gone are the day's of buying programs that make no sence and "Special Deals" - and I like it.

My two cents,

Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Thanks Wayne..

There was so many things that happen over the years when I was racing and being an exclusive OMC dealer.
    If you read this thread you can easy see that I have been a very loyal OMC person.
    ..and still are.
    Well.. there was a very good reason for that ..I made a good living from.. trying hard to make all the OMC policy's work in my favor.
    I was a pretty difficult dealer and expected a lot back from OMC..
    As a dealer OMC let me down many times..but I just pushed forward.

When some one from OMC asked my opinion I always gave a straight answer.
    and here is my answer to swmjake ..

The Marine business was doing great in the early seventies..no Japs competition,,but it started in the late seventies in Europe.

The CEO back then was Charlie Strang and he was a good man but did not see
    the future.
    So the OMC down turn started on his term.
    I have meet Charlie Strang many many times..at the races and dealer meetings but
    he never paid attention to me.
    Not as a racer or a exclusive dealer..
    I think he was more an engineering man than a great leader for a big corporation.

Lots of poor decisions was done under his leader ship..and the ones following Charlie Strang was a disaster..

There is lots of stories to tell..if some one wants to read..

I asked Edgar Rose about the bankruptcy when we ate together one night at Kankakee early this month. I was too tired to remember or write down what he said. One thing is certain. They got into financial troubles, were a small company and could fairly easily be bought out. Corporate raiding started ca. 1988, Soros-financed corporate raiders bought the company and led it into final bankruptcy. Edgar didn't mention it but I recall that they had problems with EPA fines for polluting a Chicago river. Edgar is not a many of many words via email but he knows the inside story. That night we mainly talked about toilet bowl downhousings and opera. Jim Nerstrom has also talked about the bankruptcy, and he's on this forum.

Washing machine comment on an earlier page triggered my memory. They hired the guy
    after Strang stepped down. Edgar told me the guy listened to suggestions but could never reach a decision.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Lars

What happened with Merc in Europe during this period?

Cheers

Thread Information