Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xf-34

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default xf-34

hi all,

last weekend i also picked up anothe 44 looper powerhead, xf34. this one is in real nice shape and should clean up real nice. this one will be run!!!! it tuens freely but all the bearings will be replaced. they love me at napa, first name basis now. looks like they ran an electric fuel pump because the mounting brackets are covered. dave augustine is getting a lower unit for this one. and if paul is out here i hope he can let us know who had this one. in all the stuff was also a d block that will need one cyl to be resleeved. does anyone know where i can get this done. it does have finger ports but are different than the on in the b i have.

i've attached a pictyure of the 44 and also what my truck looked like coming home. you can get a lot of stuff in a c5 vette. and got 30mph to boot. thats better than a diesel pickup. right davie

frank

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pictures would help

here are the pictures. and it was 30 mpg. went a little fasterthen 30 mph.

frank
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looper Disease.........

You've got it BAAAAAD!

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Nice Pile! You can call it a mother load

That pile looks nice. The main assembled block is an interesting older class F that uses the wider elbos that don't have the water injection shoulder knobs on the elbo casting yet. It uses Merc 55H and Merc 44 components. That all Quincy crankcase front has a thrown rod hole but looks like it can be weld repaired real nice. Just from appearances you have a lot to work with that will make you some nice and even working powerheads.

If you need any tips or opinions on your restorations please feel free to ask as there is a lot of good advice from readers to be had to get it all just right.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the pile

jeff and john,

yes jeff i got it badddddd! but it's a good bad my office can double for the looper quiz picture. can't wait to have the workshop built.

john... the rod did do a number on the crank. i do intend to get it welded and to put it on a working powerhead. with the accumulation of crankcases i have an example to show my neighbor before he welds it. i'll post some of his work later. he builds dragsters. i'll take you up on the suggestion for help. this website helped me with fc52 and i couldn't do it without all of you!

thanks.

frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Our pleasure to help

Frank:

Glad to help out. Out of the 7 Quincy Flatheads and one each of Quincy / Merc padded block D and F Alky Deflectors I had you pick up a wealth of information on them and their evolution while doing their restorations. I see you also have the Merc CD ignitions for them too which is great. I also used Mercury "Red" P4Ds magnetos on them when each was restored / rebuilt to start and tune them before I went and installed the CD systems just for simplicity sakes. When you hear them running there is nothing like them, just nothing! LOL! Most people find them frightening and some offensive beyond belief but they are what they are, unique racing engines.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default stupid question #1

john and anyone else,

i just removed the bearing and seal from the lower endcap on the b looper from canada. the block inside and out will need a good cleaning. old castor is gooy(tech term). i cleaned the endcap with indistrial purple and it works great!!!! now for the stupid question... the bottom seal in the b endcap .... lips facing in or out? it looks like they were facing in, is that right?

frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Not a dumb question any time!

The seal collar tightening spring that surrounds the seal collar is always inside the crankcase. If it was reversed the spring would be exposed to mechanical breakage or corrosion otherwise. Similarly the seal acts like a cap and that means it traps pressure under it and helps force the seal material ring against the surface it is meant to seal along with the collar spring doing likewise so there are 2 mechanical forces at work within the seal forcing the seal collar around the rotating shaft. Crankcase pressure and the seal's own collar spring.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default As opposed to Quincy & Merc bearing/crankcase seals!

The nice thing about working on manuscripts on one secure notebook and keeping an eye on favorite websites Internet with another computer, situations arise like news and board questions where it gives me a chance to relax a bit and take a change in pace and interest. Its very refreshing to me and I hope helpful to some one else. Once I do 8 to 12 hours of keyboard pounding I head for the garage and do some googleye myself on the Anzanis and Harrisons with what your doing on your new Quincy Flatheads as some serious R & R!

frank: If you want to see some weird bearings, bushings and no seals on top and they run have a look at the British Anzani thread.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

john,

thanks. pressedd the new one in. got the b all apart will clean tomorrow.

frank

Thread Information