Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: xf-34

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default carbs

hi all,

up for discussion.... carbs... carter n's or tiletson. ka19 i think. there's a picture of one in my trunk on the white crankcase. the tops are in the box.

frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default On Carters or Tillotsons

Carter Model N carbs converted to methanol operation are considered to be the best carb Alky deflector Quincy / Mercs and Quincy Flatheads ever had by most racers who used them. Problem is when they became un-available the best alternative was the Tillotson KA (Merc) series carb revamped and re-jetted for using methanol.

Examining Carter Model Ns under prolonged methanol use shows just how bad methanol and especially methanol spiked with Nitro corrodes them. The grade of aluminum alloy in Carters is different from Tillotsons too which impacts on how the methanol mix corrodes either one. It seems that the Tillotson's aluminum is somewhat more corrosion resistent but they do corrode too.

Both Tillotson and Carter makes are not too difficult to convert from gasoline versions to methanol use versions if your so inclined and don't have 2 left hands to deal with a little mechanical skill. Still, Carter Model Ns would be my first pick and second would be Tillotson KA (Merc) carbs. I have never seen anyone use Tillotson "KC" series of Merc carbs on these Alkys but that does not mean that some one did not do just that too and maybe some other reader has info on them being used.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fbref5269 View Post
    hi all,

......you can get a lot of stuff in a c5 vette. and got 30mph to boot. thats better than a diesel pickup. right davie.....

frank
    In a moment of sobriety I caught that comment, what you didn't ask here in public is if we could use said diesel pickup to bring a certain ratty Sidson to my garage/boat shop for it's Joan Rivers procedure AND I'm sure we're all waiting for reports on how well the vette does towing the trailer loaded with 3 boats and a buttload of engines..... wanna race?

Dave

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Sounds like a lot of Vette power, try a Fiat 1.5 liter!

That Vette is probably acting like some 18 wheeler! It takes more fuel but there is no stopping it no matter what its towing. Back in the mid 1980s I moved back east here from Calgary and the 4 boat 4 engine trailer was all that was left to go get and bring. A former neighbour offered to sell me his old Lada (Russian Fiat 1.5 liter 4 spd.) 4 door as a joke for $250.00 as it had a heavy duty hitch on it and I laughed at him but he was not joking! I drove that little swine all of the 900 miles east towing the loaded raceboat trailer with all the windows down and the heater on hot and on blower full speed on in 85 degree weather to assist the rad cooling. Averaged 55 miles per hour at maybe 12 miles to the gallon taking 22 liesurely hours to make the trip. Boy did I get looks and even safety spot checked once by the RCMP. At the end of it all it blew a timing chain about a month later, towed it to a wrecker and got $200.00 for it as scrap metal it was schredded into.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a call from Frank today about the "B" he is restoring. We ultimately ended up talking about the 4 banger he found that Paul has identified as once belonging to Walter Courtois.

Now there was a real character! I was once asked to describe Walter in 10 words or less. The only thing I could think of was, "Refined Red Neck"

Walter had an air of confidence about him that some people thought was arrogance. Not so! Walter simply possessed that thing we call "IT". What ever "IT"is.

We all know to be a winner, you've got to have "IT"!

Not only was Walter a top notch runabout driver, he also was a pretty good hand with a wrench.

Walter was a brick layer by trade, but made a name for himself making tower housings and other parts in his basement.

He was one of the funniest guys I ever knew. Always had a new joke to tell, most of them we can't print here, but funny none the less.

Walter died far too young and those of us who knew him remember him well.

Frank, you're amassing quite a collection and we all enjoy seeing the beautiful restorations you have done.

Keep posting the pix.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default xf-34 goes under the wrench

hi all,

xf-34 has gone under the wrench. it looked like the exterior will only need a good cleaning and polishing. the inside is always a question mark until you go in. well it was a pleasent surprise to find that the engine was well kept and well lubed. sure is better then dry and full of dirt! the rings are stuck from old castor but that's it, not broked or damaged. from the pictures you can see the old castor on the pistons. i'll clean them up and if they are still a little stuck they go on the barbie and i'll heat them up and melt the castor. all the bearings will be replaced.

as for cleaning..... i've arrached some pictures of the intermediate section. i started cleaning cyl 4(the left side as you look at the picture) with industrial purple from zep. got it at home depot. you can see the difference after only amybe 5 minutes scrubbing with a brass brush. that stuff works great. just don't let it stay on the aluminum too long, will turn it black.

enjoy the pictures. hope to have this ready for a fall meet at mays landing, nj.

frank
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thread Information