Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hydrostream V-Wings - Havasu 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe

this is why you're bottom broke!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I talked to Jim Bremmer several times over the years when he was with OMC. He told me that the center pod of the boats were exteneded way back along with the transom extention. This made the boats very fast on the straights but he said they were almost impossible to get around the corner at speed.
    Outboard Model Concepts
    RC Mod-VP hulls
    Distributor for HTB Tunnels

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Here are 2 more from 1981. I'm driving Fred Schoellkopf's Laser. Moved from 50th to 13th but wasn't competitive with the Mod-V tunnels once bottom of gearcase water pickups were allowed (85 mph vs. about 100 mph). Photos by Terry Strack (Houston).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe, was the laser above at the Palestine, TX Mod VP race ~April 1982?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe driven by Fred Schoellkopf with Mercury. Louis Collins drive it at Havasu with Mercury in 1980, I drove it there with Evinrude (shown in photo above) in 1981. I didn't drive it anywhere else, and so far as I know neither did Louis.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

gotcha, I only ask because I have a video of the 1982 Mod VP race at Lake Palestine and there is a laser just like that with a johnrude on it competing...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at one of the V Wings that was for sale once in St Paul. Coincidentally, it was only a mile from the last Hydrostream factory in Maplewood. It was pretty rough and not the pleasure boat I was looking for. the guy was really trying to sell me on the thing as a ski boat...it had a big Evinrude on it..like a 225 I think.

It's funny that my uncles business is now in that same old factory. I was telling that to him once and mentioned Howard. My uncle says "yeah, I know Howard Pipkorn, I went to high school with him". Small world, I mentioned it to Howard a little while back and he remembers my uncle too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ted March View Post
    Below is a quote from Ron made in a post on the thread "Rod Zapf's HST"

"LAST ADD: Just got off the phone with Chris Bush. Four V-Wings, "V" as in Victory...Rigged in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn, Lake Havasu City...: 1. Jim Bremmer drove the Mariner. 2. Chris Bush drove the Evinrude...Evinrude "FELL" out of gear Saturday. Bush won Sunday.. 3. Roger Meekins drove one and 4. Dick Kotean from Minnesota....This is what Chris Bush remembers... "

Below are athe four V-Wings

128 Roger Meekins - Johnson
    131 Jim Bremmer - Mariner
    220 Dick (Rick) Kotean (sp) - Mercury
    303 Chris Bush-Evinrude

Left Side 1 & 2 down is the start of Day 1
    Left Side 6 down is start of Day 2. In race sequence 5 & 6 right follow 6 left.
    Right Side 8 Down is the Holiday Inn parking lot where most of the rigging was done.
    Howard Pipkorn, owner of Hudrostream is leaning over the boat.
    I wonder if 1981 is right. I drove a Laser V in 1981 and no Hydrostream won on either day, mod-V tunnels from Calif. dominated. Also, I don't recall any blue skies in the 1981 race.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is This An '81 Evinrude?

What year did the 161 cubic inch V-6 Evinrude come up? If it was '79, I drove with Tim Soares in '79. '80 I had a 21 Eliminator and 1981, I ran this 19 Daytona...That was the year that the Hydrostream Crew rigged their boats in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn...Chris Bush could not believe they were getting ready then, when everyone else came to the race rigged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted March View Post
    this is why you're bottom broke!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    What year did the 161 cubic inch V-6 Evinrude come up? If it was '79, I drove with Tim Soares in '79. '80 I had a 21 Eliminator and 1981, I ran this 19 Daytona...That was the year that the Hydrostream Crew rigged their boats in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn...Chris Bush could not believe they were getting ready then, when everyone else came to the race rigged.
    The 161 c.i. OMC was not available in 1979 at Havasu except to Kenny Shaw (who won with an Allison/Johnson), me (I ran third, Allison/Evinrude), and Bill Muncy. My motor was shipped to me from Waukegan with an OMC engineer's name on the carton. Ditto Kenny. In 1980 Louis Collins ran a Mercury/Laser V and should have won. 1981 was the year that under-gearcase water pickups were allowed, so the mod-v tunnels (the entire state of California) jumped from about 85 mph to about 100 mph. I ran a Laser V/Evinrude in 1981, same boat Collins ran in 1980. So the Hydrostream business discussed above had to be 1982 or later. Remember the gambler who lost the use of his arm in a racing accident, we had a fund-raiser for him around the Eliminator factory owner's swimming pool west of Pasadena in 6/1983? Fred Bowden played a big role in organizing that event, Alan Stoker and I went around the pool collecting pledges (I met Al's mother and dad there, liked them a lot). I think the gambler won in 1981 with a Mercury on a black mod V tunnel. What's his name!?

Thread Information