Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN HENDRICK View Post
At our recent Rideau Ferry VINTAGE meet in Eastern ON, we had a few Konigs on display and a discussion ensued regarding the Konig factory.
I have always thought that post 1950 it was in East Berlin, ie; -the GDR.
Another 'story' was that Dieters fatal crash in 1991 was related to the ultralite being 'tethered' to the ground. Reason being it was in the EDR, and permission for private test flying was difficult to arrange.
Is any of this correct, or was the shop just in west Berlin, which until 1989 ,
was encompassed by the GDR.
No Brian, The last factory of Konig was in West Berlin and I think it was built there in the 60's just after the the wall/ barbed wire was put up dividing the city, Could of been before this time. Original factory was in East Berlin as Hans Krage showed it to Ralph Donald and Ed Thirlby and myself on our last trip there before we went on to Konny factory in Czech Republic. Deiter's tragic accident was at some property that he owned where he placed a tall pole in the ground and attached a cable from the top of the pole to the wing of his utralight. Like many of he ideas, he felt that everyone should be able to learn to fly just like he said and did about racing a boat. Steve