Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Merc 60 already being raced in the UK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hydroracernet View Post
    The U.S. based F-1 ChampBoat Series is planning to bring the Mercury FormulaFour series concept to the states in 2009. ChampBoat promoter Mike Schriefer envisions the Mercury 60 EFI FormulaRace outboard and the FormulaFour class concept as the breath of life that U.S. outboard tunnel boat racing is in dire need of. Schriefer plans to launch a powerboat racing school featuring 12 identical turn-key spec boats. The school will be used to promote safety first with new state-of-the-art race boats and power. The school will enable “graduates” to rent or buy the boats for competition in the new ChampBoat Series F-4 class.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/outboar...ormularace.php
    Not to damper anyones spirits but my dad and Gary Garbreck tried that back in the 80's and nothing happened. Tons of time and money went into the school and dad went out to California to a car racing school to get an idea of how it should work but NOBODY would come. I'm not sure that a school with OMC backing would be any different than a boat driving school today. Fact is, a new rig with a new 4 stroke 60hp is just to damn expensive for a new racer to race.. a guy trying to get into the sport on average just doesn't have $10.000 to spend on his first race boat.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be a hit in Germany so far, this photo was taken earlier this month.
    Again, not to disagree but racing as a whole works overseas. Those guys just want to and can afford to race. Here in the US we have to face the facts that for what ever reason it's just not that big of a sport. Don't get me wrong, I wish it was but it isn't and isn't going to be any time soon. In Europe they race anything they can find with a motor on it and the class is huge. In the states we are lucky to have 3 big OPC classes. It's not me it's just the facts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree with Tim

I agree with Tim & the current state of the economy and price of fuel is not going to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff & Tim and others

I did not start this thread to ask for opinions on weather or not you thought this might work here in the states, I was only asking what the status was here in the US. I had no idea it had even started in Europe but looking at the photos and reading the information on other web sites it seems to have been received well in Germany and other European countries.

Yeah I know just mention racing anything in the US and it is automatically labeled a failure before it even starts. *Sarcasm*
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff & Tim and others

I did not start this thread to ask for opinions on weather or not you thought this might work here in the states, I was only asking what the status was here in the US. I had no idea it had even started in Europe but looking at the photos and reading the information on other web sites it seems to have been received well in Germany and other European countries.
    Ok.. Then the status is NONE. Not going to happen. Like I said before, we have classes now that aren't working so no need to add another that cost to much money to race.

Besides, if we were to add a new starter class to OPC it would need to be a new SST45 type class with left hand rotation to actually teach new drivers how a tunnel boat handles and turns and not another SST60 type class with a stock gearcase that drives NOTHING like what a 120 or CHAMP boat would when they move up to race.

Sorry to have highjacked your thread but you asked why it hasn't caught on in the US and I answered.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, your response is not logical. The boats have not been built, the motors not sold. This class will not run in the US until the 2009 season. As far as the technical aspects of the boats and motors ... it is already successfully running in Europe, fact, not argument.

Again, there is this theory that money is no object (evidenced by the costs to race in other motorsports), availability of complete racing rigs is the main problem keeping people out of boat racing.

We must go down this road and learn this lesson one way or the other and then proceed the logical direction after obtaining the data.

Although there is some historical data leaning both ways ... please try to see this expensive effort by the OPC commission and Mercury as a positive thing and possible working solution to bring in new racers and speak of it in that light ... at least until the outcome is known in 2010 ... then you are welcome to add your "I told ya so"

Everyone, please admit it is possible ... give it a chance before poo poo'in it
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Tim, your response is not logical. The boats have not been built, the motors not sold. This class will not run in the US until the 2009 season.

Again, there is this theory that money is no object (evidenced by the costs to race in other motorsports), availability of complete racing rigs is the main problem keeping people out of boat racing.

We must go down this road and learn this lesson one way or the other and then proceed the logical direction after obtaining the data.

Although there is some historical data leaning both ways ... please try to see this expensive effort by the OPC commission and Mercury as a positive thing and possible working solution to bring in new racers and speak of it in that light ... at least until the outcome is known in 2010 ... then you are welcome to add your "I told ya so"

Please admit it is possible ...
    Ok, I agree with you. Sorry Dan.. Just seen this so many times before and the thought of a new class taking yet another couple boats from already dieing classes just sucks. It would be nice in my opinion if we could get all the SST60 guys and the SST45 guys to meet in the middle and all somehow race the same class and then we would have something going to grow and help the sport.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Tim, your response is not logical. The boats have not been built, the motors not sold. This class will not run in the US until the 2009 season. As far as the technical aspects of the boats and motors ... it is already successfully running in Europe, fact, not argument.

Please admit it is possible ...

Thanks Sam

Someone with a postive outlook gets my vote any day of the week.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tthibodaux View Post
    Ok, I agree with you. Sorry Dan.. Just seen this so many times before and the thought of a new class taking yet another couple boats from already dieing classes just sucks. It would be nice in my opinion if we could get all the SST60 guys and the SST45 guys to meet in the middle and all somehow race the same class and then we would have something going to grow and help the sport.
    Tim,

I dont think you are reading this correctly, this has never been done before! you dont have to buy anything! "rent or buy" yes the Mercury racing truck has been around for years which allowed Champ boat drivers and the like to lease motors etc. but when has there ever been a rental program for a turn key boat? give it a chance they are trying and moving forward with a postive attitude.

From the Mercury Press release:

Back to the Future
    The 60 EFI FormulaRace features a production 60 h.p. four-cylinder powerhead mounted on a short (15” - 381 mm) shaft, die-cast mid section with race-inspired solid upper and lower mounts. Power is transferred to the water through the production 1.83:1 gearcase. A line of Mercury Racing Lab Finished® stainless steel propellers are available. An accessories kit sold with the engine includes competition steering bars.

The 15” mid section, five inches shorter than a normal (20”- 508 mm) model, lowers the engine’s center of gravity. The lower center of gravity, combined with solid engine mounts, enhances boat handling and overall performance.

North American tunnel boat racing is stagnant in regards to new entries into the sport. Entry level classes currently feature antiquated “dirty” OMC 45 & 60 race engines which have been out of production for years. Turn-key, entry-level equipment is non-existent.

The U.S. based F-1 ChampBoat Series is planning to bring the Mercury FormulaFour series concept to the states in 2009. ChampBoat promoter Mike Schriefer envisions the Mercury 60 EFI FormulaRace outboard and the FormulaFour class concept as the breath of life that U.S. outboard tunnel boat racing is in dire need of. Schriefer plans to launch a powerboat racing school featuring 12 identical turn-key spec boats. The school will be used to promote safety first with new state-of-the-art race boats and power. The school will enable “graduates” to rent or buy the boats for competition in the new ChampBoat Series F-4 class.
    Dan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I think...

For all the good reasons stated:

I think the new class is a great idea! And, when (not if) it gets going here, if promoted properly to the general boating public and not just to the few people in this country that are already racing, I'd expect the new class could really draw some interest and new blood into the sport!

I give it a thumbs up!
    Nate Vaughn

Thread Information