Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Merc 60 already being raced in the UK

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

Fred likes New stuff, "wares the Beef", ya you may not remember that one.
    Guess it all comes down to what racin means to you.

green racin, sugar free ice cream made with skim milk. lose the Green crap,
    made with sugar and cream and forethought of purpose.think any of them engineers was thinkin of the term Racin when thay thought up any of the production stuff of today? i don't.

Post Thanks / Like

How many other racing motorsports worry about there motors being green ? Or meeting the new enviromental standards.
    Why is boatracing worrying about it ?

U.K. J 250 - Euro JT250 Techteam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You see what I mean !!

I want to reply to both Fred and Jeff.

Fred

Depends what YOUR definition of "racin" is. Your definition is to tune something to within an inch of it's life and go try blow everybody off the water, ok for the very talented few such as yourself but what a lot of other people call cheque book racing.

My definition of racing is to "hopefully" have 20 boats in a class that are all dicing for a podium position at every race and I mean EVERY race, not because 3 of them are waiting for parts so 3 others don't go and it's a long way to travel for three more if six of them are not going so the organiser says scratch that class because there are not enough entrants. Racing is the spectacle of tight honest racing not just how fast you go.

Jeff

Like it or not we love a MINORITY sport that is poorly represented. This isn't an attack on the great many people that give up a lot of time and effort to represent and organise the sport it's just a fact of life. Believe you me for every 10 people who shout out for powerboat racing there are 10,000 screaming green. We do not have privately owned dedicated race tracks we beg borrow steal water time normally from the very organisations who have the worst green track record but try to enforce it on us rigidly. I know I've been there I live in an area with the biggest lake in the country which now has a 10mph speed limit. It doesn't matter that it wrecked the local economy, put thousands of people out of work and destroyed businesses that were 100's of years old because the only BUZZ word out there at the moment is ENVIRONMENT. Remember an elected official has COMPLETE immunity with every decision, it does not effect them, their pocketbook or livelihood whatsoever, all they want to be is popular with as many people as possible.

So it's time to wake up. We can carry on as we are and slowly strangle the life blood from the sport or we can try and change. Choice is yours.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the key point that John touched on is the profitability of the Brunswick Corporation (Mercury). They are accountable to their shareholders and if you recently read their headlines you can ascertain they are extremely concerned with profitability (like all public companies).

http://www.brunswick.com/news/newsst.../1/1169657.php

If OPC worldwide does not support their new engine programs in the future this sport we all love will continue to struggle along much the same way the unlimiteds have struggled because they race obsolete turbines. My guess would be if OPC globally supported Mecury's new engine programs to some degree they would have the additional resources to step up their support to boatracing.

I realize this is a complicated/sensitive topic and their is not a perfect solution for all parties, but supporting the only engine manufacturer and making it possible for a newcomer to enter sport with relative ease at a reasonable cost will add to the boatcount.

By the way, I would be extremely interested in the 60 program that was laid out earlier in this string. My main issue at this stage in my life is time. If I had the option to fly into a race site and lease a competitive turn key outfit for the weekend I would definitely be interested. I do this currently with Skip Barber racing cars, but would prefer boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going Green!

I would think that going to 4-strokes would also make it easier for other manufactures to get involved! If that happens the growth of the sport is unlimited. Motocross pops in my head when I think of 4-strokes vs 2-strokes! Everyone despised them at first but now you have to run a 4-stroke to be competitive. Yes they have twice the cc's and probably use atleast the same amount of gas but it worked and the sport is only getting bigger! I can only dream that our sport can reach the level that they have obtained!

Post Thanks / Like

curtis is correct on the motorcross
    2 strokes are gone,,,at this yrs supercross here there was 1 lone 2 stroker
    and was not a leader,,,,,,,,,,
    car racing they have been putting in restrictors and mixing cleaner burning fuels
    to get the emissions down to satisfy the cities,states and epa
    not just to slow the cars down from better technology

in boats the raw fuel/oil goes directly into the water
    thus green people are putting lots of pressure on the cities
    thus many states now do not allow carbed motors in lakes
    as said putting mph limits to take off the larger motors

we as boater dont like it
    it kills income for business sorrounding the shores
    it takes a potential boater out of the euquasion when they have no place to go run a boat

epa has standards that the boat motor manufacturer has to follow
    so what can be done when it is 2008 and they have future standard to meet

this thread is about the 60 being released
    i wish it well over there
    it needs to be a sucess
    so will be released over here in 2009

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

First,

I think it is very good that Mercury is willing to spend some money in Outboard Racing.
    At the Miami Boat show 2008 I asked more or less all the Outboard factories if they where interested
    to market there Outboards thru Racing and the answer was no, at that time.

Mercury is doing no wrong by starting to sell this 60 Hp outboard for Racing, but APBA-UIM
    need to step up and tell Mercury to use it in the NEW Low Emission SL 60 class so all the other outboard factories
    could get involved.

Suzuki, Yamaha etc. make 60 Hp four stroke to, but need to make a short shaft (15").

Some RIB have a need for short shaft, and maybe they can force the other factories to start
    making short shafts 60Hp again and go Racing.

I think that is the right way to go.

A new one engine class is not good for the future of the sport.

This one time great sport has been very good to me and a big part of my life.

My wish is to see the sport become great again.

Thank you
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

At first i was opposed to this new class but now its making more sense. I like the point about how going to four stroke might encourage other engine manufactures back into the sport. One thing i dont understand is if everyone feels OPC is run poorly why isnt someone proper implimented that can really help. If you look at it from a wider point of view boat racing is one of the few types of vehicle racing that has not exploded into the mainstream. It frustrates me to be a younger individual coming into this sport with a dim future ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Default one motor classes

It doesnt matter how much support we as a group give Mercury on there new motor they will not make money off selling a racing package except in advertising.

If we want more support from other manufactures you have to open the class and structure it to allow all the manufactures motors that fit in the 4 stroke 60 category.

If you don't what are you going to do, create a class for every manufacture that want's to introduce a motor.

The one motor classes (which I run myself because there isnt anything else) is what killed the competition between manufactures, which is what spectators want to see.

One motor classes were introduced so they could always say their motor one in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sst45jefff View Post
    One motor classes were introduced so they could always say their motor one in my opinion.
    One motor classes are usually intended to reduce costs ... that way everyone knows what motor will be usable next year and the year after. How many racers will be able to drop $8,000 to $10,000 per year on a one year motor, each year? You know they will not be giving them away ...
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information