Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Merc 60 already being raced in the UK

Post Thanks / Like

Default History just keeps repeating itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    One motor classes are usually intended to reduce costs ... that way everyone knows what motor will be usable next year and the year after. How many racers will be able to drop $8,000 to $10,000 per year on a one year motor, each year? You know they will not be giving them away ...
    It doesn't reduce cost when they quit supporting a motor & class they introduced and then create a new motor & class.

How many guys can afford to buy into a class and then switch to a new class with a diffrent boat and motor having to be purchased while the other boat & motor becomes obsolete and not even resaleable.

Every time a manufacture has gotten invlolved with creating a class it means buying new equipment. Then they don't support the motor in a few years.
    The motors are changing every few years. As soon as it is replaced by a newer version they quit supporting it.
    (It's only good bussines not to produce parts for a motor you dont even sell anymore.)
    Which is where we are at right now.
    If we keep repeating history things will never change.

How many guys who have never raced will be able to drop $15,000 - $20,000 to try out racing, when the guys who allready race cant drop $8,000 - $10,000 on a new motor every few years.

I dont think a guy should be buying new motors every few years, It doesnt make economic sense.

The bottom line is the cost. The bang for the buck is not there anymore.
    Cost is to high and the numbers are to low. Nobody wants to drop a $1,000.00 to go racing with themselves and 2 of their buddies.

If the Manufacture want's to get involved why don't they take the money they are putting into this new class and provide free of charge motors to all racers who want to run there motors in what ever class they have a motor that may fit that class. Lets take it one step further and they can provide parts free of charge also.

OPC Then needs to step up to the plate and approve these motors for the classes.
    Yes some motors will work better than others in some classes, but that is what makes them want to produce better motors.
    This will create new motors for the classes and not at the expense of losing Boat racers.

The cost to the manufacure would be very small considering the number of boat racers out there.

Then when they want to implement a new motor they can take the old one back and provide the new one at no cost to the racer.
    This will also get there new motor out there and running on race boats to attract the buyers to their motors.

This type of a program will attract new racers into boat racing.

I don't think many guys would say no to a new motor for a classs if they didn't have to foot the whole bill to change everything over.

OPC needs to focus on its existing classes so as not to dilute the pool any further.
    Then they need to get the cost down to run the boats, via advertisers to foot the race expenses and or suplement the cost to the drivers.
    Making raceing more affordable is the only way you are going to attract more racers.

More racers means more fun and exposure which gives you a marketable product.

You have to treat it like a bussines if you want it to progress from where it is now.

All of the people that run APBA are volunteers with there own agendas. So we keep going in circles. (no pun intended)

APBA needs to restructure and hire people to run APBA as a bussines and do what the racers want, if it is ever to progress into the 21st century with the other motorsports that are mainstream.

If it is run like a local club then it will always be a local club.

It is the preverbale chicken and egg problem.
    If we sqaunder what monies that are produced, then there will never be enough money to produce.

It is a shame that I travel on average over a 1,000 miles to get to a good race where there is more thn 3-5 boats in the class.
    That series has been put together by a very dedicated person who wanted better boat racing as it was intended. He has put a lot of time and money into it but has learned over the last several years that boatracing is going nowhere. He has started to focus his attention on other forms of racing that are going somewhere and can be marketed to the advertisers. So we will soon lose one of the only few bright spots in boat racing and another dedicated volunteer, along with that several more boat racers.

I was brought up in boat racing like many of you and my two sons have been exposed to it, but they may never race boats because the cost is getting out of hand and the racing sucks in most places.
    My thought for them in racing has been turning to getting them into another form of racing that actually has competitors and a future.

Most of the new racers are buying into this program because they have not been apart of the boat racing history and seen it play out with their pocket book.
    Nothing against them, they just dont know any better.
    I was in the same boat years ago.

OPC boat racing deserves better it is one of the most exciteing motorsports out there if it is promoted correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sst45jefff View Post
    How many guys can afford to buy into a class and then switch to a new class with a diffrent boat and motor having to be purchased while the other boat & motor becomes obsolete and not even resaleable.
    That is exactly the way things went in the good old days of manufacturer competition you are begging for ... a different boat and motor winning every year; classes changing every year or so. I'm lost on whether you really understand that. And then no one wanted to buy your old stuff because it wasn't competitive any more or the class was gone, just like you point out. It was every year, not once in a while, once in a decade or so with the equipment you are talking about.

APBA needs to restructure and hire people to run APBA as a bussines and do what the racers want, if it is ever to progress into the 21st century with the other motorsports that are mainstream.

That theory has been tested and put to rest. The membership does not want APBA run as a business, reducing everything to a bottom line for profit. You are speaking as though you know nothing of the Offshore takeover fiasco or fully approved of it.

One solution is to form a company to put on the race series like the USTS does with alky racing. If you are as passionate as you say, you should look into the USTS model and find backers for a similar series in OPC; it works.

As far as "run APBA as a bussines and do what the racers want" ... how would that be different than things are now? Currently APBA & OPC are run by racers, why would a paid director do what racers want if he is hired to make money? A hired director would do what made money regardless of whether racers wanted it or not ... there would be an awful lot of ticked off racers.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with some of the things that Sam says in the beginning of his post but Every form of racing that is successful is run like a business and the racers and owners go by whay they say or don't race and it works for them.

Post Thanks / Like

So, since it has been long since decided that APBA won't be the business ... another entity needs to step up to the plate to be the business ... whether it is funded by outsiders or the drivers become the shareholders by buying into it, that's the way to go.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SL 60 or Formula Mercury???

Today there is a story on the Swedish Power Boat Federations
    home page about the SL 60 Race in Holland this weekend.

The race after Holland is the first ever World Championship in
    a "clean SL class", but the pro motor want to call the class Formula Mercury,
    The Federation SL 60!!

I guess there is a conflict growing...

The SL 60 World Championship race is in Sundsvall, Sweden July 19....
    13 boats so far is has entered the race

www.svera.org
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't reduce cost when they quit supporting a motor & class they introduced and then create a new motor & class.

Every time a manufacture has gotten invlolved with creating a class it means buying new equipment. Then they don't support the motor in a few years.
    The motors are changing every few years. As soon as it is replaced by a newer version they quit supporting it.
    (It's only good bussines not to produce parts for a motor you dont even sell anymore.)
    Which is where we are at right now.
    If we keep repeating history things will never change.

How many guys who have never raced will be able to drop $15,000 - $20,000 to try out racing, when the guys who allready race cant drop $8,000 - $10,000 on a new motor every few years.

I dont think a guy should be buying new motors every few years, It doesnt make economic sense.

The bottom line is the cost. The bang for the buck is not there anymore.
    Cost is to high and the numbers are to low. Nobody wants to drop a $1,000.00 to go racing with themselves and 2 of their buddies.

If the Manufacture want's to get involved why don't they take the money they are putting into this new class and provide free of charge motors to all racers who want to run there motors in what ever class they have a motor that may fit that class. Lets take it one step further and they can provide parts free of charge also.

OPC Then needs to step up to the plate and approve these motors for the classes.
    Yes some motors will work better than others in some classes, but that is what makes them want to produce better motors.
    This will create new motors for the classes and not at the expense of losing Boat racers.

The cost to the manufacure would be very small considering the number of boat racers out there.

Then when they want to implement a new motor they can take the old one back and provide the new one at no cost to the racer.
    This will also get there new motor out there and running on race boats to attract the buyers to their motors.

This type of a program will attract new racers into boat racing.

I don't think many guys would say no to a new motor for a classs if they didn't have to foot the whole bill to change everything over.

OPC needs to focus on its existing classes so as not to dilute the pool any further.
    Then they need to get the cost down to run the boats, via advertisers to foot the race expenses and or suplement the cost to the drivers.
    Making raceing more affordable is the only way you are going to attract more racers.

More racers means more fun and exposure which gives you a marketable product.

You have to treat it like a bussines if you want it to progress from where it is now.

All of the people that run APBA are volunteers with there own agendas. So we keep going in circles. (no pun intended)

It is the preverbale chicken and egg problem.
    If we sqaunder what monies that are produced, then there will never be enough money to produce.

It is a shame that I travel on average over a 1,000 miles to get to a good race where there is more thn 3-5 boats in the class.
    That series has been put together by a very dedicated person who wanted better boat racing as it was intended. He has put a lot of time and money into it but has learned over the last several years that boatracing is going nowhere. He has started to focus his attention on other forms of racing that are going somewhere and can be marketed to the advertisers. So we will soon lose one of the only few bright spots in boat racing and another dedicated volunteer, along with that several more boat racers.

I was brought up in boat racing like many of you and my two sons have been exposed to it, but they may never race boats because the cost is getting out of hand and the racing sucks in most places.
    My thought for them in racing has been turning to getting them into another form of racing that actually has competitors and a future.

Most of the new racers are buying into this program because they have not been apart of the boat racing history and seen it play out with their pocket book.
    Nothing against them, they just dont know any better.
    I was in the same boat years ago.

OPC boat racing deserves better it is one of the most exciteing motorsports out there if it is promoted correctly.

Jeff,

Boat racing is not dead, its only OPC and a few other categories that are really hurting right now. Stock Mod and Pro are seeing a very small decrease in numbers due to all the normal things in today's economy but look at the list of Inboard races right in my back yard. OPC has been on life support for many years now way before the economy went south and even back when folks had the money the category was in trouble and lets face it Outboard motors are the real problem and the cost associated with them.

The list below are Inboard races with full fields in every class all in my back yard! back home by 6-7pm :-) or sooner! not one of these races is more then a four hour drive from my front door. A couple of these are less then two hours driving time for me.

http://www.portboatrace.com/index.htm

http://www.carolinacupregatta.com/

http://www.kentnarrowsracing.com/

http://www.hamptoncupregatta.org/

http://www.cpbra.com/dynamic.html

http://www.powerinthepark.com/

http://racing-images.com/slha/

http://www.clarksvillehydroplane.com/index.html

The list just goes on and on!!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Default SL 60 Race in Holland last weekend.

There was 9 boats in the race and the winner was Sparring from Sweden
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Post Thanks / Like

Default Formula Merc is now SL 60 at the World Championship

World SL 60 & Formula 2000 in Sundsvall,
    Sweden

Sundsvall July 19th, is the race coming up next. Sundsvall is a new venue for these cathegories. Race course is located in the very center of the town. We have got large areas for Pite area and a large parking place. Start jetty is permanent incl. fuel pumps.

We are staying at one of the most exclusive Hotels in Sweden, Hotel Sodra Berget, where also the World Banquet will take place. Tickets are as low as SEK 240. Tickets are to be pre booked to the organiser at arrival to Sundsvall. There will be a Shuttel between pit area and hotel for team guests who do not like to stay at race site all days.

RACE HOTEL is

HOTEL SODRA BERGET

Single: SEK 695

Double: SEK 790

Suite: SEK 465 per person

Ph +46 60671000

reception@sodraberget.com

Code: "Formula 2000"

www.sodraberget.se

More info www.nolimit.se
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Default World Champion SL 60

Daniel Sparring from Sweden is the first World Champ in a low emission UIM class.

It happen today in Sundsvall, Sweden.
    SL 60 is the same class Mercury like to call Formula Mercury or/and Formula Four in Europe.

There is still a argument about that...

12 boats started the Race, but I have no more info att this time.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Default The SL 60 World Champ 2008.

This is from Sundsvall, Sweden yesterday.

Daniel Sparring in action.... and the winner.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Thread Information