Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Racing with Kansas City Speedboat & St.Louis ODA, 1969 - 1977"----Part 1

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomberry View Post
    You know about sea stories? They always start with "this ain't no sh**".

Tom
    isn't that how a lot of racing stories start also !!!

bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default E Mails

This is the text of an e mail I received from Tim Chance. Perhaps there will be others who would also contribute information like this.

Tom - I just reviewed what you wanted and looked at your posts on BRF and see that you need stuff on ODA. And I know almost nothing about the Mod drivers of ODA.

When I moved to Saint Louis in 1971, ODA had just voted the alky classes out. On December 7, 1972 a bunch of us met in Columbia and formed Outboard/Central, an all alky club. Outboard/Central lasted ten years and then morphed into the U.S. Title Series in 1983.

Prominent in Outboard/Central were:
    Tim Chance, Saint Louis, Y-200 A - F runabout and hydro
    Stan Leavendusky, Jr, Kansas City, Y-2 C & D runabout
    John Dortch, Sr, Saint Louis, Y-99 A & B Hydro and Runabout
    John Dortch, II, Saint Louis, Y-9 C Hydro and Runabout
    Barry Wilson, Cedar Rapids, 300, C Hydro
    Rich Krier, Indianols, IA, X-51 B & C Runabout
    Mike Krier, Ollie, IA, X-50 A & B Runabout
    Jim Krier, Ollie, IA X-50 A & B Hydro
    Todd Brinkman, Springfield, IL, V-88 A - F Runabout
    Jack Kugler, Hamilton, IL, V-100 A &B Runabout and Hydro
    Jim Schoch, Quincy, IL V-5 A-F Runabout and Hydro
    Tom Berry, Kansas City, Y32
    Bill Van, Barnhardt, MO Y-888 C Hyro
    Phil Howard, Jacksonvile, IL V-123 B Hydro
    Paul Bogosian Granite City, IL V-23 C and D Runabout

Others that I can't remember boat numbers:
    Kerry Dupre, Saint Louis
    Gary Silver, Iowa
    Nick Buehl, St. Joe
    Tim Seebold ran some C-Service

As I think of more, I'll add them to the list. - Later, Tim

I might also add from Kansas City:
    Terry Lewellen
    Don Kelly
    Jim Baggett
    Jimmie Nichols (Decased)
    Don Dando
    Tom Roberts

From St Joseph:
    Steve Shomberg and his dad Cliff

Tom
    Tom Berry Y-32

Post Thanks / Like

Default E Mails

Here is the text of another E Mail. This one from from Dennis Crews.

Tom,

I realized that my email from the BRF forum gave you no way to contact me. My email address is dcrace29@yahoo.com. I am having trouble getting my password to let me post on BRF but I am still working on that. And again thanks for all your work in putting that all together. I have looked at this several more times and see our crew in even more of the pictures.

Tom,

I dont know if you remember but you sold my dad, Lynn Crews, a runabout that would spin in a bathtub. Dad says you said one time that if you burned the boat and threw the ashes on the water that they would spin too. I just viewed your first slide show on BRF and I have to tell you it literally brought tears to my eyes. My mom, Diane Crews (Lowrey) is the daugher of Andy Lowrey. To see you with my Grandpa in that picture stopped me dead in my tracks. Then to see the pictures of uncle Bob and Dave, our big black trailer with my grangpa's 69 ford truck, I am flooded with great memories. Thank you for the work you put into this. I just registered for BRF but have not received my email info to post there yet so I had to email you. I just could not wait to contact you.

I have a 21 year old son who is a gear-head deluxe. I have tried and tried to explain to him the sound of 12 D-hydros coming down the chute, but how do you do that justice? I have tried for a couple of years to find a rice near Ft worth, Tx ( where we live ) to tak e him to, but have been unseccessful. Do you know of any videos availabe with 4 cylinder pro-stockers running? Even recent ones would help me to share that sound with my son.

Once again, thanks for all your work. I have to get back to the forum now and see what other nuggets I can find.

Dennis Crews
    Ft worth, Tx

I am attaching the pictures that Dennis writes about in his e mail.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by tomberry; 07-11-2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Addition of pictures
    Tom Berry Y-32

Post Thanks / Like

I think I know what Dennis' problem is ... I'll email him and get it straightened out
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A big time racer that quit shortly after we started was Ed Holstein from Kansas City, Kansas I believe. I forget who was driving for Ed when we first met him, but Freddy Goehl drove his stuff around 1968-69, then Ozzie Robinison drove the following year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drivers

Holstein rings a bell, but I can't place him. I don't think I knew the others. Another was Bob Hursman. After he was killed in a truck accident in Joplin MO Stan Leavendusky bought his equipment including a DeSliva runabout that Butch ran. I think the number on it was Y-211. I believe it is in some of the pictures.
    Last edited by tomberry; 07-11-2008 at 05:59 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Tom Berry Y-32

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, here is one of you and Butch in the beautiful pits of Winona rigging up in 1974. It was the Pro Eastern Divisionals. If you remember, I think it was a Thursday or Friday night that the northern lights started swirling around above Sugarloaf. Chuck and Jane Hall, myself and maybe Bill and Eileen Van Steewyk watched them until about midnight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Master Oil Racing Team; 07-11-2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: lst picture

Post Thanks / Like

I have this picture hanging on my office wall. In a phone conversation with Butch he mentioned that he had the same one up at his house. I will be seeing him soon (Friday 07/18/08) and will have copies of both disks. One of the guys has a lap top so I am hoping to be able to go over them with him.
    Tom Berry Y-32

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks to Tom

I know Tom posted the email where I thanked him for the work done on the video but let me also thank those who helped him with this. Mom and Dad have no computer right now so they have not seen this yet. They will stop by sometime this weekend to see it. I can't wait to relive the memories with them. I will get some of my pictures posted soon

Post Thanks / Like

Dennis...We are looking forward to your pictures. And hope you will add some stories. It's great that you will get you Mom and Dad to view all that's here. Hey Tom...thanks for getting some more people on board. This is some more history that would have been lost without past racers getting involved.

Thread Information