Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Racing with Kansas City Speedboat & St.Louis ODA, 1969 - 1977"----Part 1

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oda

I have been the commodore of the ODA for the last 10 years or so. We had an ODA race this weekend in Centralia, IL. My father was a long time racer in the ODA, Art Kampen, I have been racing with the ODA for the last 18 years. I told him to view the pictures you posted and he thought they were great. He said he remembers most of the races you have posted pics of. Charlie Lowrey was there on Sunday and had some great old ODA pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, thanks for all the pictures. I always enjoy seeing pictures of my dad. Would love to see more pics. I hope Stan makes it to the nationals this year. It is always good to see him. I also triied to get ahold of Paulie this week but we missed each other on the phone. Thanks again. Doug Hall

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here are a few of the pictures I have so far

This is my favorite picture. I am 7 yers old, sitting in a brand new Lowrey 11'-8" four-point that Grandpa had just finished building. If I remember right, I was going about 80 mph in my imagination there.

Here is the boat that Dad bought form you Tom. And I remember it being in just about that condition when he brought it home on the truck.

Here is Dad in that same boat after rebuilding it. This was at Greeneville, Il in 1972. I have a story to tell about this race.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Never New!!!

I've only lived in K.C. for about 10 yrs. but had the pleasure of meeting a fellow by the name of Shultz first name Joe , had no idea there was so much history in this area Was a while back , and damn he died too before we had more than a six - pack discussion , not before he told me about the bull ring called swope park and lake..... Wow you guys are too much.
    RichardKCMo

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Lowrey is my Mom's cousin. I remember him being in a bad accident in washington Mo. in about 1975 -76. My dad had retired form driving and had gone to refereeing for the ODA. Just prior to the start, a driver who could not get his boat on plane decided to head the wrong way on the front stretch. The field was heading to the start at full speed. Dad yelled at the flagman to waive if the start, but he didn't, saying he thought the driver would get out of the way. He didn't get out of the way. As the boats parted in front of Charlie to avoid the other boat, he had to basically roll his boat to prevent a head-on collision. M dad was furious that the flagman did not waive of the start and he resigned immediatey in protest. We left the race...right then. I remeber Charlie, still soaking wet, heading up the bank to the judges stand to find out what had happened. Miraculously, Charlie was ok and as I remenber nobody else was injured either.

Post Thanks / Like

Richard, there used to be alot of racing right around here back in the 60s and 70s. My dad used to race at Swope Park, Lake Contrary in St. Joe, Bean lake which is just outside of Atchison. They also raced on the river a couple of times. They used to race almost every weekend and never drive more than 3-4 hours. I wish we could say that now. One of our closest races is Depue which is 7 hours. Who knows, maybe we can put on another race like we did in St Joe about 5 years ago.

88V RiverRacer
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at a race in Washington,MO about that time and witnessed and accident just about what your talking about while racing with the St.Louis ODA.

Thread Information