Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sst-60 Vs. Stock 56 Cube Block

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sst-60 Vs. Stock 56 Cube Block

Hey,
    Has anyboby sat these two side by side and seen the difference between a stock "70" 56 cube rude block and the SST-60 block ?
    I have a chance to purchase an sst block mail order for $500.00 but I dont know if it is worth it since I already have a stock block . What was the rpm range of an sst60 ?
    I noticed it takes the same part # base gskt so I am assuming the exhaust isnt hogged out .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a special tuner that goes with the SST60. I have to guess that some of the performance is due to the tuner. Went to the local OMC and they wanted $500 some odd dollars for the tuner.

Contact Dave Losvar at SeaWay Marine in Seattle ( www.sea-way.com/ ) if you need some SST60 parts, he was very helpful to me, a very nice guy.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes , he is a nice guy ,the tuner has solid mounts and steering "wing " bosses cast into it . I can experiment with tuner length
    What I want to know is if anybody has compaired ports on the two blocks
    thnx

Post Thanks / Like

The SST-60 race block is the loss foam block not the permanent mold style. It also has bridge port sleeves in it which most of the stock blocks do not have. The stock version will run and have great acceleration but no where near enough top end. I had a stock block built at one time by mistake and when I figured out that occured and switched to the racing block picked up 800 rpm the first time I put it on the boat. The casting # on the race block is 334474 and has webbing across the back of the block towards the exhuast side (that is the easiest way to tell it is a loss foam) Advanced Sleeve sells new SST60 sleeves that you can put into the stock block and make it a racing block as long as it is loss foam you will be legal.

I have a complete powerhead that has lots of work done to it and about 1/2 season on it 4sale at $2500. Crank measures exactly the same on all 3 journals and has the piston protrusion that many people are looking for.

I typically turned 8400-8800 depending on the prop I used. On several occasions I did get 9000 out of it.

No exhaust work is permitted on the block for SST60.
    "4" - PIRTEK USA

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Howie,

What is a piston protrusion, and how many sets of reeds did you go through
    turnning that high?

Post Thanks / Like

Sam,
    Mike told me that the piston "protrudes" a little bit out of the back side of the block. It still reaches all dimensions but gives you lots more power from what he tells me. I had no issues with reeds on this motor. See you next weekend!
    "4" - PIRTEK USA

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

SST60 the exhaust port window is 5".050 stock, the 70hp is 4.900. the deck hight in SST60 is a SET point it's got to be with in so many thous. the Crank has a tolerance of +/-.011 which is a lot , in SSt60 the head has set points.
    the more positive crank tolerance the More compresion the spec motor will make. a crank with all three rod throughs at a positive +.011 is a killer SST60 MODA.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

New SST60 on the left, Seasoned 70hp solid mold on the right.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I need to start looking for some of those cranks, That +/- .011 must be what the spec sheet say's. That's a whole lot more than the crankshafts print tolerance specifies.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Loose specs

http://www.opcrace.com/TECH/60.doc

For what its worth, SST120 inspection specs are just as loose.

Thread Information