Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Konig carb function/adjustment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig carb function/adjustment

I've never had one in my hand or seen one apart.

Slide carbs like Mukinis & Lectrons have a tapered needle that controls the mid range mixture in a variable & adjustable rate ... do the Konigs have anything like that or are they just "on or off"?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't say about older Konig's Sam, but here is what I know of the ones from the time I raced starting in 1965. Seems like the old FB and FC carbs had a brass knob underneath that had notches all the way around with a vertical steel shaft that would fit into the notch you selected so it wouldn't turn after tuning. I can't remember the carbs for the piston port motors, but it seems like they may have had a lowspeed jet on the backside of the butterfly as well as the primary jet.

The rotary barrel carbs on the external rotary valve "V" motors had fixed size jets with no adjustment. When the "V"s first came out you might have to do some jet work, but later the motors seemed to come out of the box pretty much jetted right. We used to have a plastic box with maybe fifteen or so different sizes of brass jets. I wish I would have taken pictures then, but that was early on. We had about 4 to 8 jets of each size and a tool with which to remove and replace them. You unscrew the machine screw on the top of the carb to remove the barrel then fit the tool over the jet to take it out. The brass base was square. The tool was a "T" with a square socket on the other end and was only about four inches long.

I can't remember all the sizes. They were in millimeters and I think they ranged from around 2.5mm id to 3.6 or 3.8mm. The most comman size in the motors was 3.0mm to 3.2. Most of the time after around 1971 or 72 we didn't test different jets, but sometimes we had too. I will look at some old test sheets to recall my memory. I'll bet if Joe called Marshall, he would have a lot of information about that. I also think that sometimes the height of the dump tubes (which is what we called them) varied a little bit. And we may have even played with filing the backsides at a slight angle at one time.

Thread Information