Thread: Konig History

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite having raced against the 3-cyl 65hp SE Konig (mainly in the form of the Hartmann/Tomczyk team), I have never seen their engine without the cowling. Does any of you Konig boffins out there possibly have a (brochure) photo of the 65hp Konig "fishing" motor sans cowling and how do these Volvo and Konig engines compare externally and in the internal dimensions? Wish I had one of these!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, I found 3 or 4 more pictures of the powerhead that you took in other threads, but don't know how to move them here without reposting them. How can I bring them into this thread ?
    I didn't know Konig even made fishing motors before I read this thread. There is a lot of good history on this site.

Wolfgang, I would like to find one of these as well. I don't think any ever made it to this side of the water and from what I have read only 17 were made. How did you do against the 65h.p. Konig and what kind of engine were you using ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
    Despite having raced against the 3-cyl 65hp SE Konig (mainly in the form of the Hartmann/Tomczyk team), I have never seen their engine without the cowling. Does any of you Konig boffins out there possibly have a (brochure) photo of the 65hp Konig "fishing" motor sans cowling and how do these Volvo and Konig engines compare externally and in the internal dimensions? Wish I had one of these!

Look here: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...tornado&page=2

Scroll down to post #15: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...9&postcount=15
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Wayne, I found 3 or 4 more pictures of the powerhead that you took in other threads, but don't know how to move them here without reposting them. How can I bring them into this thread ?
    I didn't know Konig even made fishing motors before I read this thread. There is a lot of good history on this site.

Wolfgang, I would like to find one of these as well. I don't think any ever made it to this side of the water and from what I have read only 17 were made. How did you do against the 65h.p. Konig and what kind of engine were you using ?
    Using a 15.5ft Grupstra (27degr.Vee) I came second at Karlshafen April `69, with hot 65hp OMC with racing lower unit from 115GT. That engine came directly from Bruges (thanks to Dr Hesse, Johnson distr. for Germany) at 2300hrs Saturday night before the Sunday race, after the old 55hp had succumbed to top seal failure. I changed the engines singlehandedly in the deliveries driveway of the hotel. I forgot to screw the thrust pad in by some two turns. Boat was very loose.
    Same year `69, same engine, but brand new Dalla Pieta` hull and four new props from Sweden - winner 6 hours Liege on the old course thru town. One month later, last Sunday in October - winner 6 hours Berlin. Despite having received a tempting offer (job and sponsorship) from Dr Hesse I thought it wiser to proceed with my studies. First night-school and after compulsory army service, technical university.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reminder, Sam. The 2 motors are really like chalk and cheese.
    The 65hp Konig cowling was roundish and looked a bit like a heightened and blown-up 40hp Konig cowling. Somewhere in BRF I also saw one of the old style 28hp motors - with Bordeaux metallic std paintjob on the cowling.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Reed Valve' FA ?

I have a parts box here with a FA69 in it, but with a block with reed valves and 3rd ports. I did not think these FAs appeared until the late 70s???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default yes it is

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN HENDRICK View Post
    I have a parts box here with a FA69 in it, but with a block with reed valves and 3rd ports. I did not think these FAs appeared until the late 70s???
    Brian The motor you have is a real FA. It was just before Konig went to back to cast iron cylinders. It was a aluminum cylinder with Carburetor and exhaust on both sides like earlier cylinders but also had the reed like the late type. I have a brand new cylinder just like it. Std bore was 54.44. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fa69

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN HENDRICK View Post
    We still have a complete powerhead. Somewhere on site are photo's of this engine.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is some correspondence I got from Scott Smith.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

A question for Steve ... I see some early VB's I guess with the older smaller lower unit like this ... I thought that was obsolete by the time the VB came out?

Were they sold this way or was this a motor made by a racer upgrading by just buying a powerhead?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information