Thread: Konig History

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been going through boxes of old pictures, programs, etc. and came up on this. You can see Litzell when he still had little bit of hair, not counting that on his upper lip.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Likes jrome, Al Lang, marcus78n liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I remember that well.the shop I ran back then, I did a transmission rebuild for a gal that worked for the local paper. She took interest in the boats and stuff,and was asking me questions about it. She then asked if she could come back and take pictures and interview me. Being the shy and quiet guy that I am, I said sure. Good times and memories, thanks Raff. Steve
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

More than thirty eight years ago Steve! Somehow that doesn't seem right. Yesterday keeps stretching out.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe your both old farts?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes it does Wayne, and Bill, your comment is the pot calling the kettle black I think

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The date on the article is March 1985. That was the same year we went to Dieter's shop in January when Steve learned to do crankshafts among other things, including dancing with girls at an east Berlin nightclub that Dieter took us to. This club had tables with numbers and a phone at each table, where you could call up and ask a girl to dance. This was also the same year that I left my passport and had to go to Grein, Austria by myself and Steve had to find Douglas Willey in the airport by himself. I'll have to get back to the Douglas Willey story because Grein was the first stop and Berlin was the next, and it gets better.
    I don't know if this has been said on BRF before, but I will say it, when we were leaving Dieter's shop to go home, Dieter gives Steve a hand full of Deutsch Marks for all the work he had done during the week we were there. Steve says to Dieter, I don't want any money, and Dieter replies, "When somebody gives you money, take it".

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not quite Ralph, the money thing was later, maybe in 87 or 88, that is when the factory was behind on motor delivery to the Russians, and Deiter did not want us in factory because everyone was busy. I just rolled my sleeves up and went to work,we made delivery a head of schedule and this meant bonus thimble for Konig. We delivered some 40 motors 3 to4 day’s in advance, and all I wanted to do is do a crank for my D and putpistons in it. After Dieter offered me money,and I refused, and he said that, he said ok, if you don’t take my money, you will take my parts. This worked out very well for me, and if you remember I brought back to USA in my back pack, a new FA to run as a RB for you. We never did, and I have that new FA in my hord. Also got a steak dinner on bet out of Konig because my old D made more power than his new one at the time. The D bet went on for a couple years until 89 when I won the 700 worlds in California. That nite I bought Deiter a steak. Good times for sure and I still miss my friend very much to this day. He had such a impact on my young life as others too have. Thanks, Steve
    Likes Al Lang, marcus78n liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I get the years mixed up, we had so many back then. I do remember now, you had a carry on that I bet weighted 100 pounds full of Koenig parts. You could never get by with that now. Which year did Dieter, Hans and families come to Sarasota and you took them water skiing, we called you skinhead for a time after that. I have some pictures of that trip some place. I'ii try to find them.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep the stories coming Ralph, and we are looking forward to more of the trip to Grein, but I need to ask this question. Dieter took me to a place in 1975 that had orchestra music and a big dance floor in front of the stage. Behind the stage were water fountains spouting up, weaving back and forth , and sometimes jumping up and down and it was all co-ordinated with different colored lighting. Besides the phones with numbers at each table, there were pneumatic tubes and pencils and papers. You could write notes and send them to a table as well as call them up. That was in West Berlin. I went with Dieter to a club in East Berlin in 1976 with Walt Blankenstein to meet Bernie Danisch, but what you posted sounds to me like the club in West Berlin. Very old, and dating back to the 1920's.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wane, I seen the one in West Berlin and was told about it, but the one Ralph was speaking of is in East Berlin. We went over to that side to have dinner and meet with the East Berlin drivers. Bernie was there and also Bern Bechausen, the man that drove the Zimple motors to a few championships with. That motor gave Deiter ulcers in the A class. Fun time. Also that was when Deiter showed me how to smuggle money across the border. If you remember you had to buy East German marks and exchange rate was 1 for 1. They would do the same with a US Dollar as well. A East German mark would trade in the West at 12 to 1 West marks and West marks at the time was over 3 to 1 dollar. The East would only let you have maybe a Hundred East Marks at a 24 hour visit. I’ll tell you, that stuff scared the Sh out of me as they were a serious up tite bunch of folks. Found that out the hard way on first trip when driving through a check point coming West, had guns pointed at us and threats because I drove by a guard shack big enough for one person approaching the main check point. I still have the ticket they gave me. Cost me 20 bucks to get out of that one.
    Likes crewman060 liked this post

Thread Information