Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
Yes Wayne, I did meet Bernie several times. First was at the Nite Club with the telephones on the tables that you told about earlier. Ralph and myself had dinner with Bernie and many other drivers from the "EAST". Dieter had taken us to East Berlin for this and later we went to the club. Had a great time there but had to leave before Midnite as our visas were up then. I meet also Bern Beckhusson, (SP) the man that drove the A hydro with a Zimple Motor. I also was introduced to The man that made the Zimple motor, but he did not speak any english so it was up to Dieter to do this. At this time the zimple motors were very fast and having their way with the Konig drivers from the West. I was also introduced to a real fine East German lady from Lipzeig by Dieter. But that again is another story. Back to Bernie, I remember also at the factory we talked about boats and motors and had lunch around the corner of factory that Dieter took me to many times. This place was upstairs in a building and another business was down at street level as I remember. The lady that run the place was always very kind to me with my very bad German and she fed me well. Steve
If it had been after 1986 you might have met a driver who built his own motors, Holger Arens. I can testify for German women, I became enchanted by one. We lived together, got married before our first son (May Fly III on this website) was born. Very independent, very active, very intelligent and very attractive they are!