Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
Thanks for the photos of the memorial Dumperjack and the photos of the Friends of Dieter. I had seen pictures of the memorial before, but not from the additional angles nor the Friends of Dieter. I knew most of those guys.

Our website provider went down for a couple of days, so sorry to respond so late Joe. There was not an 1100 cc Konig. That was an American class created to keep the 6 cylinder Mercs in the mix. That would have been the old F class. OF in UIM is a max of 1000 cc,s and we wanted to keep the 6 cylinder loopers and deflectors racing, plus a little allowance for overboring to clean up cylinders.

As far as testing on the canal, I can't remember exactly where it was, but it was close to the factory, though not across the street. Seems like we loaded a boat on the roof of Dieter's Mercedes then went a short way down Saatwinkler Damm where there was a ramp that led down to the water. It was very narrow and my first lap, I was unable to make the turn and had to kill the engine and drift up against the sloped cobblestone embankment. The next attempt I dropped the sponsons back in the water, and when it slowed enough, I jerked the wheel hard and almost all the way to the left while at the same time getting back hard on the throttle and that caused the prop to break loose. Then I could just spin the back around until I got aimed the right direction and back off so the prop could bite again. Kind of like getting a cavitation started, then feathering the throttle to take back off. Takes a little practice. Hans Krage was a master in that canal.

Now to the props. I did some research in our test book and unfortunately not all the prop info is there. Most of our best props were Seebold and Hopkins. Testing revealed that some of the best props weren't working that great all the time depending on the set up. Although we started running a couple of 3 bladed cleavers at the end of our career, I don't have any data on them. I think that your prop would be worth a good look on a C (500cc hydro) with a 15:16 lower unit or a B (350cc hydro) with a 15:16 lower unit. Maybe even a D (600cc hydro or the American class 700cc hydro) with a 15:16 lower unit.

Our Hopkins BRG1- PC11 prop worked good on a B with a 12:14 and C with 15:16. It was considered 7 X 13 with measurements of 12 1/2--11 1/2---14 7/8 across both blades. It was one of the few props that measured identical on each blade.

Hopkins BRG1-PKD 66 also ran good on both B and C with same gear ratios as above. It was a 7 X 13 measuring 12 11 and 14 1/2 on one blade and 12 1/2 11 1/2 and 14 1/2 on the other blade.

One of Marshall Grant's props.( K4-10), that ran good on our 4 carb, dual rotary valve engine with a 1:1 lower unit was a 6 7/8 diameter prop with blade readings of 11 10 7/8 15 and 11 11 7/8 15.

We had a lot of success with a Hopkins CDH prop, a Hopkins Baldy 4, a Seebold Super D Konig, and a Seebold 113 ssc that was a 7 X 13, but infortunately I don't have any other data for comparison on those.

Hi Wayne, thanks for the detailed reply on turning in the canal (!) and the props. I was at the OPC nationals for 4 days, worked much of the time on props. Had only two successes there but I saw Jim Booe for the first time since 1981 (Havasu), he talked long with me beside a table where my pitch gauges were used, and he told me two things, one really crucial, that I hadn't thought about. It's the sort of thing that makes me wish my legs were long enough to kick myself, because I know a lot about boat bottoms but never thought to apply all that knowledge to the high pressure face of a prop blade. 'D' in physics there for me, 'A' for Jim Booe!

I've written an article for the Antique Outboarder about our König and Arens factory visits and would like to quote you on how you turned in the canal! Hae you done anything with the König you bought? Best, Joe