Thread: Konig History

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post

I did do an interview with Dieter the year before, and also took some pictures but I never submitted them. It was a feeling of getting things ready for racing and the history was later. When you were done.
    Would still love to hear / see this interview Wayne

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was able to actually get the tape put back on the spool Jeff. I rewound it close to the beginning with a pencil and new eraser so I wouldn't pull the tape off again. I don't have time to transcribe it. I tried to make a digital recording, but the quality was terrible. I went through it all last year to see if Dieter had mentioned anything about a guy named Zimmerman per request of BRF member Sergio. There was no mention of that name, nor did I recollect Dieter mentioning anything about him and his work on rotary valves. I guess I need to find some better way to hook up from the cassette tape to the computer other than RCA connectors. There were only RCA connectors and a mic connection on cassette players in 1975. Sergio gave a suggestion on how I might do it, but I lost the cable I thought might work. I really do need to get this done Jeff, because on the other side I also interviewed Kurt Mischke, Hans Krage, Gerry Drake and Karl Bartel at the 1975 Berlin Boat Show. All of them have passed with the exception that I do not know whether or not Karl Balrtel is still with us. On that tape Karl tells about when he is floating in the water dead while Kurt was leading a race when Kurt suddenly backed off the throttle, turned to the infield and slowly made his way to where Karl was drifting. Karl was puzzled, and after Kurt came up next to him and killed his engine, Karl asked Kurt why he did that. Kurt replied that he had thrown and blade off his prop, then decided to come over to see if Karl happened to have a cigarette on him. A bittersweet funny story as years after it was told Kurt died of lung cancer.

Post Thanks / Like

An old racing buddy and I hooked up this past summer. I never actually raced against him, although he did race boats, motorcycles and karts, it was his Dad and Uncle I raced with when I first started. Steve Wetherbee also pitted for me a few times and worked at Emmord's Marine......the boat and motorcycle shop my Dad and Joe Hendricks bought from Ralph Emmord in 1968. More to come about Steve. He has bought a couple of motors and a boat with some history, and is restoring them, along with some family owned stuff. Steve bought a Konig powerhead some weeks ago and it arrived in Corpus Christi, Texas while he and his wife were up at his Dad Alex's ranch during Thanksgiving. Steve brought this Konig by my house this afternoon, and I took some photos to post here to get more info about it going. Please excuse our reflections. I didn't bother with polaroid filters because ....didn't have time to look for them. Dumperjack and Steve Litzell....please tell us what you know.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That is part of (motor only) a side board model motor. It is mounted to a board that goes across the transom. I have one of these in my collection. It has a long driveshaft tube and the motor sits on a locking tilting deal that you can set the prop in the water at about any angle. I think they were maybe about 3 Hp. Many parts missing there on that one but a nice example non the less. I see that someone has polished the tank which removed the " KONIG" waterslide decal. I have spent a little time to make mine run, interesting little motor. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve W and I know that it is a side board motor Steve. Mainly we were wondering about when it was made based on any differences you might find between earlier and later models. What parts are missing besides the rest of the mounting bracket, driveshaft and tube?. Steve has a Bosch spark plug coming, and wants to find out what the drive components look like, dimensions, etc so he can make them. Do you know how to interpret the serial number? Was there a system to maybe figure out when this one was built? Could you post some pictures of yours?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wayne, I will get some pictures of mine over holidays as like you I work a lot at this time. I'm not sure when Konig stopped with making these but by the mag parts i would say late forties and early fifties as Dieter was a young man of about twenty something then and factory was doing many pleasure type engines. These are really cool motors and how they work, typical of simple engineering. Because I'm a computer idiot, I may send to you Wayne the pictures and you can post. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Send me the pictures Steve, and I will get them posted. I think Steve Wetherbee will want to talk to you about how to get or make parts to get his konig right.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Send me the pictures Steve, and I will get them posted. I think Steve Wetherbee will want to talk to you about how to get or make parts to get his konig right.
    No Problem Wayne, you have my number and private email, Steve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    No Problem Wayne, you have my number and private email, Steve
    Wayne,
    There are pictures of the motor you are asking about on the Quincy Looper website.You will find them in the Quincy vs.Konig area.
    Thank You,
    Ed Provini

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve W and I know that it is a side board motor Steve. Mainly we were wondering about when it was made based on any differences you might find between earlier and later models. What parts are missing besides the rest of the mounting bracket, driveshaft and tube?. Steve has a Bosch spark plug coming, and wants to find out what the drive components look like, dimensions, etc so he can make them. Do you know how to interpret the serial number? Was there a system to maybe figure out when this one was built? Could you post some pictures of yours?
    My dad had one of those in the fifties. Motors were normally mounted on a tube (pipe), which attached to the gunnels of a kajak (Paddelboot) with cast aluminium hook-like clamps. Tube protruded right (or left side of cockpit, with motor hanging over starboard (or port) side. It was a crossflow (Nasenkolben) design similar to the early race (and standard) motors. Produced after the war, into the fifties. Indestructible, if cared for. Dad built a car-top boat (ma gave preference to caravanning over boating), and I traded the motor in for part payment for a 18hp Johnson. Rgds, Wolfgang

Thread Information