Thread: Konig History

  1. #561
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here I am with more pics..
    Sorry it took a lot, but this is a complicated period for everyone..
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Likes Master Oil Racing Team liked this post

  2. #562
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I can't help, but I'm certain after Wayne finishes chipping the ice out of his bathtub he will respond.

  3. #563
    Team Member DeanFHobart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    Here I am with more pics..
    Sorry it took a lot, but this is a complicated period for everyone..
    What year is this Konig? Cool old motor.
    Dean Hobart

  4. #564
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Konig FA Jeff Lytle

    Just finished up a FULL restoration of Jeff Lytle's Mid 70's Konig FA 250cc . I learned a lot of how these little power house's where made and It amazes me the simplicity of how it was put together. It blows my mind that Dieter didn't use hardly any gaskets !!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Likes Ketzer liked this post

  5. #565
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    More Pics
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Likes Ketzer liked this post

  6. #566
    Team MSR
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Durham, Ct.
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    FA Konigs: The first one is stamped FA56. So the crankcase is 1956 vintage. The carburetors look much latter than that. The fiberglass spray shield is 1968-69vintage. Thinking the motor was upgraded over the years.

    Second motor brings back a lot of memories. Most good....Had several of these. In 1983 I ran 23 races and scored 8700 points / US-2 with one. Two things on this motor intrigue me. I welded up my top float bowel mounts to keep the throttle cable from pulling out. Kind of looks like my crappy welding...In 1973 I bought my first one from Bob Olsen. It had a very trick billet aluminum cylinder head on it, like this. My tool and die project in college was to design and build the tooling needed to produce copies of it. Built 25 of them in 1975.

    Both great motors, thanks for sharing with us.
    Likes Ketzer liked this post

  7. #567
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schmidt View Post
    FA Konigs: The first one is stamped FA56. So the crankcase is 1956 vintage. The carburetors look much latter than that. The fiberglass spray shield is 1968-69vintage. Thinking the motor was upgraded over the years.

    Second motor brings back a lot of memories. Most good....Had several of these. In 1983 I ran 23 races and scored 8700 points / US-2 with one. Two things on this motor intrigue me. I welded up my top float bowel mounts to keep the throttle cable from pulling out. Kind of looks like my crappy welding...In 1973 I bought my first one from Bob Olsen. It had a very trick billet aluminum cylinder head on it, like this. My tool and die project in college was to design and build the tooling needed to produce copies of it. Built 25 of them in 1975.

    Both great motors, thanks for sharing with us.
    Then did you make this head??
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  8. #568
    Team MSR
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Durham, Ct.
    Posts
    95
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default No

    Quote Originally Posted by hemij View Post
    Then did you make this head??
    NO, I actually NC milled to water jacket out on a very early Bridgeport NC mill. I snuck into the machine shop at school on a Sunday and ran off 25 of them. The professor happened to be in correcting papers in his office and heard a machine running. He came into check and found me with chips all over the place. The conversation went something like " I know your just building this many to prove out your tooling, but I you were to sell one of these, how much would you get for it?" I replied $100 each. He smiled and left me to make chips.

    The original Olsen design had a series of 3/16" holes drilled from the water jacket up toward the spark plug.

    Michael

  9. #569
    Team Member DeanFHobart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schmidt View Post
    NO, I actually NC milled to water jacket out on a very early Bridgeport NC mill. I snuck into the machine shop at school on a Sunday and ran off 25 of them. The professor happened to be in correcting papers in his office and heard a machine running. He came into check and found me with chips all over the place. The conversation went something like " I know your just building this many to prove out your tooling, but I you were to sell one of these, how much would you get for it?" I replied $100 each. He smiled and left me to make chips.

    The original Olsen design had a series of 3/16" holes drilled from the water jacket up toward the spark plug.

    Michael
    Mikey...... You Da Man.... Deano.

    On the restoration..... I think you should put the pink spark plugs back in!!! Really nice restoration.
    Dean Hobart

  10. #570
    Team Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So you think thats actually a Dieter Konig head??

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •