Thread: Konig History

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Joe...Flo was Eleanora! Dieter was not tall and She was shorter than Dieter. I didn't know her real name for many years. I was introduced to her as Flo, but I am not exactly sure of the spelling. It always sounded like Flo, but her nickname and what she went by according to Dieter is "flea" in German. Dieter took me to a "flea market" in Berlin beneath an elevated roadway and he told me that his wifes's nickname meant "flea". I don't know for sure the name in German of a flea. But Dieter told me that that's where the name Flo oringinated...the nickname flea.
    Wayne, that clears it up. She was small (Peter is not so short, Marion is shorter.), 'Flohmarkt' means 'flea market'. She looks pretty nice. You probably know that 'König' means 'King'. There are a lot of Königs here (no relation to Dieter is likely) from the NE German migration to Tx. in the 19th century. Some of them still speak German, a lawyer here in Houston e.g. However, they mispronounce their name as 'Kehnig' in Tx. 'Kehnig' probably came from the Texans, who couldn't and (even if they could wouldn't) pronounce 'ö'. Just as Pennsylvania Germans were and are called 'Dutch' because 'the English' (that's what the Amish STILL call us) can't pronounce 'Deutsch'. Joe
    Likes marcus78n liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    Tim,

I worked for Quincy Welding from 1962 to 1973, but I started racing as a pit crew member for Chambers Equipment Co. in 1958. I was 17 years old at the time.

Chambers was a Johnson dealership but we raced 2 "B" Mercurys, 1 "A" Mercury and 1 "A" Brand K .

I remember the crankplate on the flywheel of the "A" having the name KOENIG cast in it. I have been told by different people the spelling was always KONIG. I always knew they were wrong but didn't see the need to argue.

Thanks for confirming my memories.
    Gene, German bureaucrats will not write ö, as in König in a passport or in documents even today because the rest of the world does not have the symbol. Internationally, König becomes Koenig. Computers today can handle ö, ü, and ä but they still write oe, ue, and ae for the rest of us. My wife's name is Küffner, her German pass has Kueffner, and Americans badly mispronounce it as cuff-ner. English doesn't have the right sounds, Scandinavians know how to say it all right. Joe

Post Thanks / Like

That's alright, the previous generation of Germans could not say "zoo"

There is no long o sound in German, their closest is our sound for a very short "zuh" kind of pronunciation. My step-mother says the long o was the last English sound she learned to correctly make.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    That's alright, the previous generation of Germans could not say "zoo"

There is no long o sound in German, their closest is our sound for a very short "zuh" kind of pronunciation. My step-mother says the long o was the last English sound she learned to correctly make.
    Zoo in German is not pronounced like zoo in English. Spelling is the same. In fact, oo in
    German word Zoo is pronounced exactly like the English long o (as in English 'ho').

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    ..Scandinavians know how to say it all right. Joe
    Hehe..yes we do..

Regards

Lars Ström
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Hehe..yes we do..

Regards

Lars Ström
    Alt i orden.
    Hilsen,
    Joe

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My first time in Berlin I had to transfer from the first bus I took to another at Banhof Zoo. The lady at the hostel I stayed at wrote down the instructions for me to get to Dieter's shop and she spoke english. The way she pronounced zoo was something like a combination of T and S at the same time. It was like tssoo. The oo was suppressed. It's kind of hard to explain without hearing the sound, but I caught on right away because the Z sound in german was similar to the pi looking symbol in the Russian alphabet which is sounded phonetically "tseh". It's all in the matter of hearing the words and doing certain things with your mouth and tongue that makes the difference.

Likes marcus78n liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My first time in Berlin I had to transfer from the first bus I took to another at Banhof Zoo. The lady at the hostel I stayed at wrote down the instructions for me to get to Dieter's shop and she spoke english. The way she pronounced zoo was something like a combination of T and S at the same time. It was like tssoo. The oo was suppressed. It's kind of hard to explain without hearing the sound, but I caught on right away because the Z sound in german was similar to the pi looking symbol in the Russian alphabet which is sounded phonetically "tseh". It's all in the matter of hearing the words and doing certain things with your mouth and tongue that makes the difference.
    German dialects vary very strongly, some are not mutually understandable. In the south (Bavaria, Tirol) 'Zoo' sounds like tsoo with oo pronounced like a long o in English.

So, like me, at some point in your past you studied Russian.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was a high school sophomore Joe, the spanish class filled up before I got to sign up. When I was a junior I had to sign up for a language in order to complete the two year requirement and I wasn't about to take classes with a sophomore. The only other choices were Russian and Latin. Latin didn't sound very interesting. We had an exceptional teacher and there were only six in the class both years...a mixture of sophomores, juniors and seniors. He also taught the latin classes as well as calculus and some advanced physics course.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a high school sophomore Joe, the spanish class filled up before I got to sign up. When I was a junior I had to sign up for a language in order to complete the two year requirement and I wasn't about to take classes with a sophomore. The only other choices were Russian and Latin. Latin didn't sound very interesting. We had an exceptional teacher and there were only six in the class both years...a mixture of sophomores, juniors and seniors. He also taught the latin classes as well as calculus and some advanced physics course.
    In Alice?!! Pretty unusual! Had to take 2 yrs. in univ. My dad said 'Don't take French or German, after WWII those languages are dead. Take Russian or Chinese.' Well, he was a bit off the mark on German ... . I learned to roll the r in Russian, liked the alphabet and the fact that the language is so phonetic. Teacher brought in Pravda an Izvesty regularly, he loved the language. I also liked Russian because there were so few in the class. I never got to where I could read without looking up every other word, though. Woman in our Austrian village had a Cossack boyfriend once, traveling singer. She bought a book and became fluent. When the village got 60 Chechnyan refugees from
    Grozny (which the Russians used a advertising site to show effectiveness of their 'hail' rocket system) she was the only person around who could talk fluently with them. Well, too far afield, I could go on for too long.

Thread Information