Thread: Konig History

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we have to keep going with the Konig history..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ok, Vb70116

I just purchased most of VB70116 Konig opposed 4 Cyl B engine. I am missing the foot. I was told this engine was owned by Tom Harden? and would like some history if any one has more info. I started the tear down and so far every thing has come apart smoothly. The carbs and rotor valve we not stock on the engine nor were the exhaust elbows or pipes. The pistons/rods are another story. I can post some pictures if there is any interest.
    David Van Weele
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig progress

After removing the head, rather easily, I was able to soak in a fog of WD40into the cylinders and thru the inlet side of the block. After dinner we put a wrench on the top nut and with very little presure we were able to turn the engine over. The castor oil was a thick 90wt consistency that was disolved by the WD 40. The rings are free and the cylinders are like new. No marks lon the piston skirts. I think I will leave the engine together an just soak it in kerosene for a while to be sure all of the gunk is gone. The only tight fasteners are the ones holding on the rope plate.
    David

Post Thanks / Like

I have VB6864 and I might need a piston and some rings for this motor, but I definitely need ignition coils.

I also have something very unusual for North America ... the silencer can exhaust. I would be interested in trading the exhaust can for something if anyone has an interest in it.

Before today it never occurred to me that my motor was from the first year Konig VB's raced in APBA ... I think they were allowed in CBF and NOA before '68
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default VB 70116, Clean up

Did not have much time to work on the engine today. Still trying to get the rope plate off and to un stick the carbs. Here are some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hans-Georg Krage

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I have VB6864 and I might need a piston and some rings for this motor, but I definitely need ignition coils.

I also have something very unusual for North America ... the silencer can exhaust. I would be interested in trading the exhaust can for something if anyone has an interest in it.

Before today it never occurred to me that my motor was from the first year Konig VB's raced in APBA ... I think they were allowed in CBF and NOA before '68
    Hi! The year 1974 we raced for the European Championships in Imatra, Finland, very close to the Soviet border. Hans-Georg Krage wanted me to take his car and boat to Nora in Sweden for a race next weekend. He had to go home for work in West-Berlin. When I looked in the papers I saw the car was registrated at a girl named Renate! So when we met in Nora I said hallo to Hans-Georg and said hallo to what I supposed was Renate. But it was not! It was Hans-Georg´s wife.

Henry

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig

Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    I just purchased most of VB70116 Konig opposed 4 Cyl B engine. I am missing the foot. I was told this engine was owned by Tom Harden? and would like some history if any one has more info. I started the tear down and so far every thing has come apart smoothly. The carbs and rotor valve we not stock on the engine nor were the exhaust elbows or pipes. The pistons/rods are another story. I can post some pictures if there is any interest.
    David Van Weele
    Hi Dave, nice old Konig. Looks to be a 1970 "B". I found a 1969 "B" Konig in a box in the cellar last year. Missing a few parts but do not have the time to play with it. Not shure what I am going to do with it. Looking for a flyweel for a "C" of the same year. The one thay has the cam for the points......Bob
    Bob Rusnak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cam Flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rusnak View Post
    Hi Dave, nice old Konig. Looks to be a 1970 "B". I found a 1969 "B" Konig in a box in the cellar last year. Missing a few parts but do not have the time to play with it. Not shure what I am going to do with it. Looking for a flyweel for a "C" of the same year. The one thay has the cam for the points......Bob
    Bob,
    I have a B or C cam style flywheel.
    Bill Kurps

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by ProHydroRacer View Post
    Bob,
    I have a B or C cam style flywheel.
    Bill Kurps
    Hi Bill, I am still messing with all this junk. I have Bob Hooghkirk's Square block "C" engine. Been trying for years to finish it. I have everything but the flywheel and the little shield that goes ober the belt. Has the origional 40 mm carbs. Let me know if you want to sell it. The 1969 "B" old round block is missing parts to complete it. The old styld 4 bolt headers, outer rotary valve cover etc. Will waite until I have time to locate everything before even think of playing with that one. Will make a few title series races this season and a few Mod races. Will be at the Worlds as My son Don is entered and My son-in law Sean Mckean is also. Only time I see my family any more is at the races.....Thanks for the reply Bob N-96
    Bob Rusnak

Post Thanks / Like

Default VB70116, update

I was able to get the flywheel/rope plate off this afternoon. Also was able to free up both carbs and removed the powerhead from the mid section. I would like to replace the points and condensers, does anyone know if they are available anywhere? I am going to soak the power head for a day or two to see what comes out. I really do not wish to disassemble it any further. It turns over very smooth but that could be from the thick caster oil that was left in the engine. I have a few more pictures.

Besides the model and serial number I find some other markings stamped into the powerhead. The side of the block under the coils has B15 stamped in each back of cylinders. Over the top two cylinders is stamped a "0" and a "1" on both the block and the cylinder head. On the front top block is stamped the letters "UH" could anyone decipher these markings?
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Thread Information