Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252652 ... LastLast

Thread: Konig History

Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig 125cc

Here is a Konig 125 that I raced for several years. We bought this engine and boat from Jane and Ralph Smith. The powerhead was pretty much "stock" from the factory. The only modification that I remember was water injection into the pipe. We ran this on 12:15 lower unit. I wish we had had an 11:15 back then. But I am not sure that the engine could have taken too much more vibration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe it's been that long since anything has been added here.

These are some pics I took at the Konig factory in 1976. Dieter let me take pictures of anything I wanted. I wish I knew about the museum upstairs back then. I only heard about it a couple of years ago from Steve Litzell. Dieter was so preoccupied with the present, I guess he never stopped to think I would have liked a glimpse of the past.

These are castings for the FA Konig. I can't recall all the things Dieter told me about the making of these, but I believe his sister Margaret made them.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the test tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig Motorenbau KG.

I've posted some of these pictures somewhere before on BRF. I can't remember where. Jeff Lytle once asked in a PM if I had any more to post? I just said Yes!. At the time I thought I would be able to follow up with some posts, but we got so busy in the oilfield that I could only barely keep up. At the time, my reply now seems flippant, but I didn't mean it to be so. Jeff wanted a look inside the factory. These pics aren't great. My flash (in those days they were very unreliable on the non commercial side) copped out in the dust of the Sahel of Africa so I shot every thing with available light. I can take pics OK, but my lab skills on developing film on the high end of the temparature gradient in South Texas mean lots of refinement on the computer. When I took all these pics I was not trying to do a story, but merely record some of the history of Konig. I just went around snapping pics of what was there. As Joe Rome and I have discussed many times....we saw a lot of things....and met a lot of people...and did things we never thought about at the time. That's kind of how I remember my times at the Konig factory. I was there to race, and I had a camera and liked to take pictures.

I did do an interview with Dieter the year before, and also took some pictures but I never submitted them. It was a feeling of getting things ready for racing and the history was later. When you were done.

Of course, anyone who knew Dieter....Boat racing history was for a grand celebration.....when you had time. However, Dieter loved and knew the history of Germany, Austria, and surrounding countries. The ancient sientific acheivments were paramount in Dieter's mind. When we drove from Berlin to Linz, Austria he pointed out a monestary above the Danube River and explained how the monks pumped water more than a 1000 meters above the Danube into the monestary in the 1400's.

Post Thanks / Like

This is some of the stuff I was talking about. 2nd pic off the roll, with light intruding. Thought though that any pics from the shop that is gone would be good for outboard history buffs.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more before I sign off tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Wayne!

Post Thanks / Like

A few more. Stay tuned.....

Post Thanks / Like

Still more to come

ADD: The guy in the background with the apron is Dieter's foreman Sigfried Lubnow.

Post Thanks / Like

Dieses ist fantastisch
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information