Thread: Konig History

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know who made the parts for the new crank, but they were put together at the Konig factory.

I missed a couple of changes from 1975 that were on another page.

Two condensers per set of points to eliminate arching and prevents high speed popping.

And Dieter asked me to find for him the address of American Bosch in Columbus, Mississippi. and I wrote down this number which I presume is the part he is interested in. SMH12 A101.

I believe it was late 1976 or maybe 1977 that he introduced the CD ignition system. The "porkchops" were built in Massachusetts for a chainsaw.

Likes marcus78n liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

While going back to earlier posts, I came across the newspaper article about the boat with the wing. I had forgotten about that. Now I know what you were referring to Tim.

I changed the language from English to German in my computer, then I found a translation site that even had the special characters to use. I did the first paragraph and did got mixed results. I have the feeling that if I went to the advanced "pay" feature, I might have gotten a more accurate translation. Having known this story, this is the gist of the first paragraph.

It began during the recession that the Senior chief of the motor building firm Konig was "blackly" annoyed if he was with a woman sailing around the Berlin lakes and the wind "went to sleep". It could be calculated that the wind went to sleep regulary in the evening and you could not plan on getting home at night at a particular time.

That was from one translation site.

I tried the second paragraph on another one that didn't have that special character feature It was not quite as accurate because of that. The best I can come up with is:

Talented with his hands, Rudi Konig withdrew to his attic and tinkered at a "pusher" to make a side on-board oar to act as an engine that does not depend on the wind. This was the forefather of the Konig engines..

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pics of Uli (that's him isn't it Steve?) working on the new style crankshaft. It made all the difference in the world. For one, it was much simpler to rebuild an engine without having to spend so much time spacing the crank and centering up the rods. Most importantly it's greater longevity meant the powerful motors would last a lot longer and win more races.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand the context of laughing like a drain Tim. But then you guys call the deep water wells in western Australia "boreholes" right? At least that what the title was on a magnificent commissioned oil painting I took a picture of for the late head of the famous King Ranch, Bobby Shelton. They had a lot of acreage in Australia.

I went back through this Konig thread because I had missed some and forgotten some, then there was the motorcycle thread. I try not to duplicate pictures, but so far I mostly have been posting the slides where it's easy to write a "B" on a corner of the cardboard mount. I can't do that on the B&W negatives because it will harm them. So I haven't marked many I have posted, and without bothering with contact sheets, I lost count. I remembered that I promised to post some B&W pictures of the bikes at Dieter's and today I discovered I haven't yet. So here are a couple of the speedway bike I mentioned earlier that we were working on. Also...on that same strip of negative there is a drafting board. I will post that also. To the right of it looks to be a list of things to be done. I will later on rescan at a higher resolution so that our resident "Eagle Eye" Jeff Lytle might me able to pick up on the writing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I don't understand the context of laughing like a drain Tim. But then you guys call the deep water wells in western Australia "boreholes" right? At least that what the title was on a magnificent commissioned oil painting I took a picture of for the late head of the famous King Ranch, Bobby Shelton. They had a lot of acreage in Australia.

I went back through this Konig thread because I had missed some and forgotten some, then there was the motorcycle thread. I try not to duplicate pictures, but so far I mostly have been posting the slides where it's easy to write a "B" on a corner of the cardboard mount. I can't do that on the B&W negatives because it will harm them. So I haven't marked many I have posted, and without bothering with contact sheets, I lost count. I remembered that I promised to post some B&W pictures of the bikes at Dieter's and today I discovered I haven't yet. So here are a couple of the speedway bike I mentioned earlier that we were working on. Also...on that same strip of negative there is a drafting board. I will post that also. To the right of it looks to be a list of things to be done. I will later on rescan at a higher resolution so that our resident "Eagle Eye" Jeff Lytle might me able to pick up on the writing.
    We Antipodeans are full of funny little sayings. Mad as a cut snake, silly as a wheel, funny as a fight - to mention but a few.
    The pics of the speedway bike are priceless - as are the pics of Ulli working on the new crank. I believe that Werner Eggert won the German speedway championship in 1974 and 1975 with a König-powered sidecar, posting a final championship victory in 1977. The pica may well show his bike.
    If Kim had had a more reliable engine he could have been world 500 GP champ in 73 instead of coming second. Such is life.
    Can you send me your email address again to timhanna@maxnet.co.nz.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Tim I will send you my e mail again and last night while I was clearing out my pm's and I had several messages from both you and ezrider one after the other. I have to send george an apology too, but I apologize to you now because I sent him the message meant for you. He's probably thinking as we sometimes say over here that I'm "Daffy".

It was a ironic that about the time Kim was killed, Dieter was making changes that vastly improved the reliability of the Konig. Had he not been killed there is no telling where he might have gone with the sport AND pulled Dieter right along with him, because there is much more publicity going along with motorcycle racing and success than with alky outboard racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic of Dieter and I testing the exhaust system of the engine for the speedway bike. Dieter is filling the "pots" prior to the start. We tested many pipe systems. I don't remember which this one was. I have more to add later when I have time.

Post Thanks / Like

We tested a number of different pipes. This is not a very good pic, because I was using available light and low shutter speed, but it shows on of the old FC megaphones.

Rather than retype notes from my journal, I just decided to scan it and post it directly as written. The date for this entry is February 25, 1975. These notes about testing the motor for the dirt bike on the previous page thusly: "Later on I helped him test the engine for the dirt......." then the rest goes on in the post of the journal. I hope I have it sized correctly for reading. I seem to be having a lot of trouble getting the sizing correct since changes have been made.

The text went through but not the scan. I've been having trouble uploading it. The storm clouds have now passed so maybe this 4th attempt will work. Not going to work...will try again later. Finally!

ADD: I had forgotten about the airplane guy coming that day until I read the entry. I wonder if that was the guy that got him interested in the ultralights? I still think of the great loss to the Konig family and the boat racing world for that ultralight tragedy.

Post Thanks / Like

The final two entries regarding the bike. I left the regulatory part in there in case someone was interested in that.

It was my first time to meet Jerry Drake, and Dieter wanted me to entertain him while he finished up some other business. Later on I met Kurt Mischke, Hans G. Krage and Karl Bartel. We went to a boat show, where I got interviews from each of them.

Post Thanks / Like

More pics of testing the motorcycle engine and pipes.

Thread Information