Thread: Konig History

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    The winged Konig boat didn't establish any records that I know of. I suspect the motor on it is the opposed 6 Konig. I think young Mssrs Konig & Krage would be good sources on this.
    see please my translation:

...the new running engine assembly is by the V-type of two 65 HP of outboard motors developed.
    it has 6 cylinders, 3 carburetor, a common fivefold stored crankshaft, battery ignition and generator. ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    There was also a 70hp with a 4 cylinder Renault.
    nearly correctly, 75 hp ....

after nearly 7 years I knew the owner for the delivery move ...
    the pictures without hood are from another owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Because of BRF I learned something new today. It was easy to do the translation, but it did not come out totally right. I didn't have my glasses on and it was kind of hard to see all the punctuation and of course my keyboard doesn't do the double "S" letter or the "A's" or "O's" with the umlaut above. So I will see if I can somehow convert to German typing as much as possible then do the translation that way. I'm not too sure how close that will be though, without a German keyboard.

Anyway here is what the translation says about what I originally guessed at.

"Taking place Adolpf, the Brown, he was ordered by then his civil development work unconditionally in the services of his country....on behalf of the Army, he developed the legendary Grossduetschen 3 cylinder radial engine for assault boats, even emen underen engine for the Navy."

I don't know what the last part means. Maybe there were no English words that fit or I typed the text in wrong because I didn't have my glasses. But might have something to do with "an under water engine".

I will play around with it some more Tim, and if I can get it to make sense, I will do the whole article.
    i have the article found and become the words in the best possible way to translate.
    i need something time for it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dumperjack - during Saturday practice of the `69 Berlin 6-hour race the wing boat with its engine was parked about15 meters away from our Dalla Pieta/Johnson parking spot. Always curious, Dieter came over and had a good look at our setup, possibly fearing for his semi works entry, being the Hartmann/Tomczyk boat (yes, that`s the one which seized its block during the last refill stop, which might be an indication for illegal methabnol use, no wonder one could smell the castor oil).
    The engine on the wing boat was basically a V6 with the main internal dimensions of the 3 inline "stock" motor, which was available as <850cc for SE class and <1000cc for SF, thus providing 2000cc. At least that is what Dieter told us.
    If you pse send me copy of the item on which you tried your translating skills, I will give it a try too.
    rgds, Wolfgang

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dumperjack View Post
    nearly correctly, 75 hp ....

after nearly 7 years I knew the owner for the delivery move ...
    the pictures without hood are from another owner.
    that is the same engine block which Mercruiser at the time marketed as its smallest drive unit with 80hp.
    rgds, Wolfgang

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
    ...If you pse send me copy of the item on which you tried your translating skills, I will give it a try too.
    rgds, Wolfgang ..
    sorry wolfgang, it is not simply for me the articles here in the forum to read really correctly.
    i must many word lines step by step translate - the sentence build is completely different in the german language.
    it is possible, which i sometimes not the real sense understand.
    naturally i know the side scanning and sent to you.
    the problem is, in this text are formulations (uncommon, complicated) written.
    I think that have wayne large problems prepared.

here correct pictures of my engine mount ....

frank
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The first picture and last picture in post #245 show what looks to me like a 6 cylinder powerhead sitting on the bench. I thought it was a 3 cylinder O.E powerhead at first glance until I noticed the front exhaust pipe and extra plug wires. Anybody know what it is ? The 3 cylinder powerheads sitting on the bench next to it look like the same powerhead used on the stock Volvo-Penta 700 (70 h.p.) that came to the U.S. in 1975. I worked for Volvo-Penta as an Outboard Service Rep. then and was told that the powerhead was a Konig design. It makes me think maybe the complete powerhead was built in the Konig factory. It had a cast iron block , aluminum head and 2 carburetors feeding the 3 cylinders through internal rotary valves. All the other Volvo- Penta Outboards from the 9 h.p. to the 60 h.p. had aluminum blocks with integral heads and sleeveless chrome bores, so the 70hp. powerhead was as different as a Merc is compared to an OMC.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What you are wondering about Dale is the 6 cylinder opposed, methanol fueled Konig that Hans G. Krage won back to back OF World Championships in 1976 and 1977. It has the external rotary valve disc with three carbs. It had a design flaw in that the event the motor revved too quickly, the crank would twist. It was a regular cranshaft like all the other Konigs that were pressed together, but unlike the 4 cylinders with 180 degree banking, this one the throws were on 120 degree. In smooth water it was a very reliable motor, but it was hard on lower units because it ran the same one as the 500 and 700, and no additional oil reservoir. Every time it shucked gears in rough water the engine revved up and the crankshaft twisted, rubbing the inside of the crankcase as the counterweights spread out.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

i think i can help a littel bit ...
    the company könig made several patents - this was used here
    3 sides of it in the appendix

TWO-STROKE INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE

Erfinder KOENIG DIETER
    Anmeldedatum 25.06.1976
    Anmelder VOLVO PENTA AB

An internal combustion engine has at least three cylinders and induction conduits opening into the lower portion of the cylinders or into the crankcase. The induction conduits are intended at least for combustion air, comprising at least one slide valve rotatably driven by the crankshaft of the engine. The slide valve has the form of a disc whose rotation axis crosses or intersects the crankshaft of the engine and is arranged in a slide housing through which the induction conduits extend, said slide being designed to alternately open and close the passages of the induction conduits through the slide housing. Said slide housing has at least three induction conduit inlets and is driven at an rpm which is lower than the crankshaft rpm and has a number of sets of apertures and/or recesses corresponding to the rpm

frank

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dumperjack View Post
    ... the company könig made several patents...
    here an older…

frank

Thread Information