Thread: Konig History

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting Steve.

Cut now to a preview of coming attractions: Since this thread is widely read, I wish to now notify everyone of a breakthrough in the Claude Fox photos. I carried all but one volume of the DVD's to Joe Rome's yesterday and we were up until 11:30 going through all but the first one and last three. Joe's wife Karen found the type of file they were and downloaded a program that helped her open the files up. What I expected was to see a collection of pictures that appeared in "Roostertail". While there were a number of those, we found an awful lot of gems. Some might just about drop the jaws of viewers. Everytime we loaded a knew disc Karen had to come into the room to show Joe how to open the next one, but after the 4th one....we got it.

Sam will probably go GA GA after he sees some of the motors, and there are some certain famous boat racing people in their youth that people will appreciate. (I had to look at a young skinny Steve Litzell with Ralph Donald a couple of times for Joe to convince me it was Steve). As the majority of the photos opened up Joe said "Wow!" We knew who a lot of the AmPro guys like Mike O'Brien, Walter Curtois, and other's were, but many didn't have names on the photos and a lot of faces looked familiar but we couldn't figure out who they were. An AmPro guy sitting next to Joe most assuredly would have been saying "Wow!" The same goes for the OPC pictures, although we knew Billy Seebold, Art Kennedy and some of them.

I decided not to clutter up BRF with a one time announcement thread, but to just bring it to viewer's attention here, because there are a great many photos of young Dieter Konig. Some are like a few just recently posted on here, but there are many that Joe and I have never seen before. There are also a few shots with Dieter Schultze. And some very good pictures of some Konigs from back in the 50's.

These are pictures that Joe has talked to Marshall and others about to see if we could get ahold of to scan. Thanks to Bill and Janet Hosler who got Claude's albums from his wife last year and took the long time to scan them, that BRF members will be able to see many photos for the first time. There is a lot of work involved in downloading and sizing each pic for jpeg so it can be posted and we decided that we would leave the discs at Joe's for Karen to do when she can. Joe's idea is to put Pro, AmPro, and OPC in separate files and we can post them to view and comment on in thread separate Claude Fox NOA Photos threads. Or maybe we'lll just do it in order of the discs. But after Karen gets going we may have other ideas. In the meantime, just know that some fantastic stuff is headed this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't wait to see the pics..........

Also.........question for Steve. Going throught some parts and ran on to a block labeled VB 91. The initials stamped in the block were 'SL'. Is this one of your builds? If this is the case, I feel the historic value for this motor is great as I don't know how many engines had the designation. Something for the living room if this is true.
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default pictures????

gee Wayne i thought there were not any of me from back in the day as I wa a quite and shy type and yes was a light 160lbs in my senior year of high school. a few years later I put some muscle mass on and with 21" arms there was not a motor I could rope. I have proof of this in some old pictures as well. One were on time at Ralph"s house we were showing some old photos and I put down a photo of me, and Ralph and Shirley both asked " who is that?" Ralph"s daughter, Christie said it was me, and to the shock that she would know this, asked
    "How can you tell?" and she said he has that same SH eating grin. Bill Van's wife aske me why once there were no pictures of me from the early Title Series races, and I said it was because I was a vampire and we could not be photographed. She said O yea? and took some pictures of me and none turned out for some reason or the other and she told me she thought maybe I was right about that vampire thing. All good fun eh? The reason I put on mass was to be like one of my roping hero's that I did not meet face to face until this last Nationals at DePue. We knew one another but did not meet if you know what I mean. That Hero is none other than Gene East. How's that for a strange story.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F-12 View Post
    Also.........question for Steve. Going throught some parts and ran on to a block labeled VB 91. The initials stamped in the block were 'SL'. Is this one of your builds? If this is the case, I feel the historic value for this motor is great as I don't know how many engines had the designation. Something for the living room if this is true.
    Yes Charlie it is true as it was one that I did over here in USA for warranty for Deiter. He asked me to do this to save money and speed up the time for racer to make races. There are a few with my stamp as that was not until I earned my degree with Konig to be a master of crankshaft and motor assembly. Before this I was allowed to do cranks and prepare blocks and fit heads, even do assembly, but Uli would stamp his initials UC on motors. Many myth's about this, one was there was a new guy at factory that put motors together and did not have initials on block. these motors always had problems with little things. When I asked about this I was told By Deiter and Uli both that these were the motors that Konig buit while Uli was on vacation, but typical absent minded professor style he would leave some thing loose. Always when working with Deiter there were interruptions and this is how things were left loose or not quite right.he would always ask me to check to be sure his work. This made me feel good that the "Master" would ask the 'Student" for this help. A very amazing man Deiter was as well as very Humble.

Post Thanks / Like

Not only strange Steve, but great as well. Joe recognized you immediately. It was that same SH eating grin, then when Joe pointed it out I said "Oh Yeah." I can't understand though about how someone with the gift of gab you have ever could have been shy though. You did pick a good hero though. I'm glad you and Gene finally met. If they ever have a Roper's hall of fame, I think you Gene and Baldy could be inducted handily.

Now back to Charley's question: How about it Steve?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reply to Steve's 'I can rope anything' post........

There was a time during Steve's 'evolution' that there was nothing he couldn't rope. One time ine DePue, Tim Butts tried to rope my D Konig and hurt his hand. Steve stepped up and got me out. Not to long after that, it was legend that Steve could 'Push start' any boat on the race course. Case in point. The pic I have on facebook, my Yamato 250 from John Steven's dad............Steve offered to help out and just spin the prop to get us going. Never know when he is serious or not..........but he probably could have done what he offered. Steve, it wouldn't have been the same without you. Thanks for all your help from the 60's until a few days ago............always a pleasure knowing you are close for that extra help to make us faster.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    gee Wayne i thought there were not any of me from back in the day as I wa a quite and shy type and yes was a light 160lbs in my senior year of high school. a few years later I put some muscle mass on and with 21" arms there was not a motor I could rope. I have proof of this in some old pictures as well. One were on time at Ralph"s house we were showing some old photos and I put down a photo of me, and Ralph and Shirley both asked " who is that?" Ralph"s daughter, Christie said it was me, and to the shock that she would know this, asked
    "How can you tell?" and she said he has that same SH eating grin. Bill Van's wife aske me why once there were no pictures of me from the early Title Series races, and I said it was because I was a vampire and we could not be photographed. She said O yea? and took some pictures of me and none turned out for some reason or the other and she told me she thought maybe I was right about that vampire thing. All good fun eh? The reason I put on mass was to be like one of my roping hero's that I did not meet face to face until this last Nationals at DePue. We knew one another but did not meet if you know what I mean. That Hero is none other than Gene East. How's that for a strange story.
    Steve,

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Gene

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a good picture of the business side of the Volvo Konig. It is a lot more Konig than Volvo and I think the only Volvo part may be the hood.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy pointing towards the engine is Roger Jenkins. I won't try to guess what he is saying but does anybody know who that is standing next to him ?

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like one of my photos taken at Spandau in Berlin 1977.

Thread Information