Thread: Konig History

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default they were sold this way

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    A question for Steve ... I see some early VB's I guess with the older smaller lower unit like this ... I thought that was obsolete by the time the VB came out?

Were they sold this way or was this a motor made by a racer upgrading by just buying a powerhead?
    This is the way they were sold as the split case units came sometime in mid to late 70's. Early FA's also had this type unit. In a letter from Scott in Wayne's post he talks about the new 14:14 unit with one piece gear and shaft I think dated 1978 or so. These one piece types would not last long after power came up on motors and many changed to new style. I have a 75VC with a unit made in 12/74. Konig used all of what he had, before selling new type anything in the way of units and motors.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew she would show up sooner or later!

That's my old B Konig serial number VB6900, the engine Doug Thompson won the Nationals with in Hinton. When I sold it, it had the split case lower unit, other than that, it still looks exactly the same.

I sold it to a Canadian collector named John Porter after it had a major internal malfunction!

Who has it Sam? I still have some info from the Simons the new owner might find interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam has it now in Maine. Maybe both came from Porter.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Coming back to me now.........I removed the split case unit and replaced it with the unit you see now before I sold it to John. I had a fellow driver up this way who was having gear issues on his B, so I sold it to him. It was the latest style with the helical gears--No doubt a then recent addition added to the motor by the Simon's.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 1968 VC that came with the one piece gearcase. In '69 I hit something and broke the unit off and replaced it with a split case. I can't remember what the early VB's had though.

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case you're wondering about the red painted heads..........Almost the entire powerhead was red at one time, except for the polished (dusty ) areas you see here.
    I asked Chuck Simon about the red, since it was originally his engine. He told me that red meant it was a B, C motors were painted blue, and I can't remember what he said about A's.

Any truth to this? I never heard of it before, or since. I just kept the red on the heads cause' I thought it looked kinda' cool.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Head colors

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lytle View Post
    Just in case you're wondering about the red painted heads..........Almost the entire powerhead was red at one time, except for the polished (dusty ) areas you see here.
    I asked Chuck Simon about the red, since it was originally his engine. He told me that red meant it was a B, C motors were painted blue, and I can't remember what he said about A's.

Any truth to this? I never heard of it before, or since. I just kept the red on the heads cause' I thought it looked kinda' cool.
    Jeff,

Even the talented Simon brothers wouldn't have trouble differentiating between a 4 cylinder "B" & "C" from a 2 cylinder "FA"! LOL!!! but when the thimble sized piston "VA" came out, that's a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured that John

I always wondered bout' it though since I remember Chuck Howgate with a painted blue C.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dumperjack View Post
    i have the article found and become the words in the best possible way to translate.
    i need something time for it.
    könig motors building

a renowned berlin firm celebrates 50th birthday

has started all this with a lull, at which company founder and senior chef of the engine production company könig always black angry, when he and wife and sailboat on the lakes around berlin was traveling.
    precisely in the evening, if he wanted to sail homeward, regularly slept the wind one.
    they were rarely at home at the scheduled time.
    practical thinker and technically gifted, as he now was, rudolf retired king back to his attic
    and worked on his “pusher”, he should make it independent from the wind.
    then came something special about out: a side-mounted two stroke motor, the great-grandfather of all royal (könig) motors.
    as a könig with this stinking universal single copy was among the people, made his club mates initially mocking remark, on account of their limited technical experience, they thought that the side-mounted engine the boat only turn on the places, however, never move forward can.
    But könig’s motor did exactly what the inventor wanted: he pushed him along with sailing boat back home, even without wind.
    berliner people understand very quickly, said man …
    now realized the boatclubfriends könig which meant the wind help.
    everyone wanted to have suddenly a wind subsided helfer.
    now he moved from the loft to do in the "oranienstrasse" (is a street name in the "western area" of berlin) and founded in 1927 in berlin a motor company.
    there he built with his master “robert blankenfeld” outboard engine.
    from then on, progress was rapid with könig.
    already in the year 1934/35 it had reached an important goal for him: building a racing engine.
    (here comes a paragraph of text that I would literally translate as much as possible, the reality but in my research in writing something different)
    but soon it was with the "peaceful activities" to an end.
    "adolf the brown" (adolf hitler) he had his previous "civilian" development work without reservation of the "service of the fatherland" provide.
    commissioned in the "greater german military makes" he developed the legendary three-cylinder radial engine for storm-boats, and another motor for the navy.
    at end of the war was rodolf könig with his company literally (read literally) fallen into the cellar (space under the house).
    bomb had its engine factory paralyzed and laid in debris. but not for long.
    there began rudolf könig with shovel and pickaxe spilled machines and tools to dig again, including a grinding machine, the very day their service makes.
    soon had the "old" ready to run some. then, when some of its fixed employees were resumed, the company began to run again. there was a time of repairs paid for with food was.
    lacustrian paid with the fish. bread with paying the "russians", They also könig as a ferryman on the "havel" (names of river) brought.
    then again as the demand for new engines began, könig as representatives traveled through the land.
    but not with a pattern-suitcase, as was customary, with backpack in which he gave a complete outboard as an exhibition piece carries with it.
    now was könig junior, dieter tall. from the father he had the passion for engineering and construction inherited, he built for himself with 15 years a side boat motor on his bike.
    the young dieter wanted the working start in the organization of the father, but the Father who sent him into the alien, "So that the young learn something real". apparently with success; because after a few years but he came back into operation the paternal, he now heads.
    although it is a small company in relationship to the outboard giants from the usa and japan, but a company who claim’s himself.
    the secret to success ?
    probably it is because, that in a time of technology and automation the working world at könig
    manageable and humane has remained.
    this example is representative of the pensioner “karl nußbaum”.
    a year ago was the meanwhile 77 year old pensioner at the factory came over and asked for work, the daily walk was too boring.
    dieter könig put the learned a fine mechanic.
    he was recognized by his colleagues, he praised the good working atmosphere.
    if he is happy at his workbench provides one senses why so many people here have learned and still are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingray240cs View Post
    Dale, there was a contract about cooperation between König and Volvo Penta. The powerheads came as I remember not directly from König. VP used them for the serial Archimedes and Volvo Penta 55 and 70 HP engines 1975-1979.
    The racing OE engine was in the König selling prospect with Volvo Penta cover, that shows the close cooperation as well.
    But lets wait for Frank´s comments to it - he is the best guy regarding german outboards history I know...
    br
    Roman
    A bit off topic but...

The Powerheads for VP700 / AP70 were built in Uppsala Sweden.

I have been told that the first prototype of the Volvo / König GTX700 engine had a cast iron block and the rest were all aluminum.

If anybody would like to se some pics of the inside of an almost stock VP700 from -79

Go here!
    http://picasaweb.google.se/kvicken34...eat=directlink

//Per

Thread Information