Thread: Konig History

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So I figured it pretty close Steve. I backed off a little bit sooner rather than driving into the pin and then making the turn. I feel what you are saying Steve. It's a spin out when you drive into a corner with the power off. The idea is that you know that and as soon as you make the turn....you are already set to head up the other straight.

Your description of the bowling alley race course was right on Steve. I appreciate the cleanup of castor oil also, but I decided that I would not clean it any more than I have. I cleaned it with lacquer thinner like Floyd Hopkins taught me and I always did that before a race. Like I told Joe Rome today...."The first layer of castor oil and grime belongs to Marshall Grant...the second layer was put down by me and Jack Chance...Harry Bartolomei added to it....etc.!" So I will keep the "patina" of the motor as it is. As far as other parts go, I will let you know. I guess it's better to finish my project on the Amazing Story thread. But you guys got me interested in competing that project.

ADD: Steve..I don't remember the size of the drum of the boats I drove at Dieter's. I never drove a D of his....only my own in Austria with a three pin turn. I did try to drive an OE in Berlin with a Konig on a Danisch Proprider, but we had no success. Tests were good, but motor prolems during the race. I did not remember any more trouble with holding against torque than I had with our American set ups, but then again...I didn't drive it that much, and I don't know that I had that small of a hub. Your insights and stories continue to amaze me.

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning?

I have a PR a ran across all gooped up. I called Blendzal and spoke to a tech guy on how to clean it up. He said that most cleaners are solvent based like acetone, laquer thinner
    etc. He told me they would work to a point. He told me Castor oil is not a solvent based product. He suggested soaking the parts in menthanol since it's one of the few things that castor is soluable with. The other thing he metioned is Xylene.

I tried Xylene and yes it works but wow does it have some fumes. You better work outside with that stuff. I have the rotor to clean yet and I am going to try the menthanol soak on that. I've got lots of that so will give it a go and see.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Alcohol, xylene and toluene were among the solvents I had tried for hour and overnight soaks.

Nothing worked like time with simpler solvents. The aromatics and alcohol may work just as well with the same extended time exposure ... but for now I will be sticking (pun intended) with long term kerosene for internals and plain grease for external surfaces.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat size

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    So I figured it pretty close Steve. I backed off a little bit sooner rather than driving into the pin and then making the turn. I feel what you are saying Steve. It's a spin out when you drive into a corner with the power off. The idea is that you know that and as soon as you make the turn....you are already set to head up the other straight.

Your description of the bowling alley race course was right on Steve. I appreciate the cleanup of castor oil also, but I decided that I would not clean it any more than I have. I cleaned it with lacquer thinner like Floyd Hopkins taught me and I always did that before a race. Like I told Joe Rome today...."The first layer of castor oil and grime belongs to Marshall Grant...the second layer was put down by me and Jack Chance...Harry Bartolomei added to it....etc.!" So I will keep the "patina" of the motor as it is. As far as other parts go, I will let you know. I guess it's better to finish my project on the Amazing Story thread. But you guys got me interested in competing that project.

ADD: Steve..I don't remember the size of the drum of the boats I drove at Dieter's. I never drove a D of his....only my own in Austria with a three pin turn. I did try to drive an OE in Berlin with a Konig on a Danisch Proprider, but we had no success. Tests were good, but motor prolems during the race. I did not remember any more trouble with holding against torque than I had with our American set ups, but then again...I didn't drive it that much, and I don't know that I had that small of a hub. Your insights and stories continue to amaze me.
    Yea I drove a Danisch as well. It was 3 meters 20 If I remember correct, as Ralphs B boat was 3 meters 10 or 3 meters even. The first time I ever drove one was at Grine Austria. I had not driven a hydro in more than 15 years as I was always a runabout kind of guy. Ralph said "get in, Lay down and run it". I did not understand that these things few high off the water to go over the rough stuff. I though it was set up wrong and was going to blow over,So I went down my first test straight at full speed then all the way off , then full speed again slapping the boat on the water every time I done this. I guess it was a site to be seen as when I returned to starting jetty after a half a lap, Ralph, Hans and Douglas Willey were laffing their butts off at me. They then explained what to do and all was well with me in that boat until a Austrian used up my space in the first turn. But that's another story. There is a picture on this sight somewhere of my test in the canal with the D, and you can see I was Ok with the high flight of these boats.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could have been there with you guys Steve. Did you ever meet Bernie Danisch?

I seem to remember that every time we meet you remind me that only real men drive runabouts. I have to admit that even though all my wins at the begining of my career were in runabouts, I was never able to master them. Cockpits were too wide and I was too skinny. I shimmied around in the boat more than drove it.

Your mention of high flight on the canal with the D reminds me of the story you told Joe and myself at the end of the first DePue Reunion. You told us how Dieter called you "Boy" and he said before you got in the hydro to test...""Boy....you must watch my arms....If I do this (you explained dropping your arms down)... you must stop!" Everyone else had left the banquete and only you, Joe, Tim Butts, Fred Hauenstien and I were left standing out in front if you remember. Tim and Fred were talking when you told Joe and I about when Dieter spent six hours with the Politzie in Berlin trying to explaind why "Hans was not a criminal" when his proprider hydro blew over in the canal and stuffed itself through a Mercedes traveling over a bridge on the canal.

Tears came to my eyes when you told us that story Steve. And the way you told it with Dieter's accent was perfect. Joe and I could picture it in our minds exactly. We have often talked about how funny that story was and how you so accurately laid out the scene with your German accent.

Likes marcus78n liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yea I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    I wish I could have been there with you guys Steve. Did you ever meet Bernie Danisch?

I seem to remember that every time we meet you remind me that only real men drive runabouts. I have to admit that even though all my wins at the begining of my career were in runabouts, I was never able to master them. Cockpits were too wide and I was too skinny. I shimmied around in the boat more than drove it.

Your mention of high flight on the canal with the D reminds me of the story you told Joe and myself at the end of the first DePue Reunion. You told us how Dieter called you "Boy" and he said before you got in the hydro to test...""Boy....you must watch my arms....If I do this (you explained dropping your arms down)... you must stop!" Everyone else had left the banquete and only you, Joe, Tim Butts, Fred Hauenstien and I were left standing out in front if you remember. Tim and Fred were talking when you told Joe and I about when Dieter spent six hours with the Politzie in Berlin trying to explaind why "Hans was not a criminal" when his proprider hydro blew over in the canal and stuffed itself through a Mercedes traveling over a bridge on the canal.

Tears came to my eyes when you told us that story Steve. And the way you told it with Dieter's accent was perfect. Joe and I could picture it in our minds exactly. We have often talked about how funny that story was and how you so accurately laid out the scene with your German accent.
    Yes Wayne, I did meet Bernie several times. First was at the Nite Club with the telephones on the tables that you told about earlier. Ralph and myself had dinner with Bernie and many other drivers from the "EAST". Dieter had taken us to East Berlin for this and later we went to the club. Had a great time there but had to leave before Midnite as our visas were up then. I meet also Bern Beckhusson, (SP) the man that drove the A hydro with a Zimple Motor. I also was introduced to The man that made the Zimple motor, but he did not speak any english so it was up to Dieter to do this. At this time the zimple motors were very fast and having their way with the Konig drivers from the West. I was also introduced to a real fine East German lady from Lipzeig by Dieter. But that again is another story. Back to Bernie, I remember also at the factory we talked about boats and motors and had lunch around the corner of factory that Dieter took me to many times. This place was upstairs in a building and another business was down at street level as I remember. The lady that run the place was always very kind to me with my very bad German and she fed me well. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
    Yes Wayne, I did meet Bernie several times. First was at the Nite Club with the telephones on the tables that you told about earlier. Ralph and myself had dinner with Bernie and many other drivers from the "EAST". Dieter had taken us to East Berlin for this and later we went to the club. Had a great time there but had to leave before Midnite as our visas were up then. I meet also Bern Beckhusson, (SP) the man that drove the A hydro with a Zimple Motor. I also was introduced to The man that made the Zimple motor, but he did not speak any english so it was up to Dieter to do this. At this time the zimple motors were very fast and having their way with the Konig drivers from the West. I was also introduced to a real fine East German lady from Lipzeig by Dieter. But that again is another story. Back to Bernie, I remember also at the factory we talked about boats and motors and had lunch around the corner of factory that Dieter took me to many times. This place was upstairs in a building and another business was down at street level as I remember. The lady that run the place was always very kind to me with my very bad German and she fed me well. Steve
    If it had been after 1986 you might have met a driver who built his own motors, Holger Arens. I can testify for German women, I became enchanted by one. We lived together, got married before our first son (May Fly III on this website) was born. Very independent, very active, very intelligent and very attractive they are!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes I know him as well

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
    If it had been after 1986 you might have met a driver who built his own motors, Holger Arens. I can testify for German women, I became enchanted by one. We lived together, got married before our first son (May Fly III on this website) was born. Very independent, very active, very intelligent and very attractive they are!
    Yes Joe I know Holger as well. We meet first time in Year 2000 at Lakeland Fl for world Championships. He tasted my Mudslides there. His two drivers at the time were Oliver Lucas and Marion Young who just won the Formula 500 World Championships one week ago for the Demmler team and VRP Motors. The lady I meet in East Berlin too was a looker and later when we meet again I sent to her and her family a couple bags of groceries as the East had very little of what we see and can get every day. I think about her from time to time as I was the first American she had ever met but it sure was fun. Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim hanna View Post
    This is truly remarkable, chapter and verse from the beginning!
    As always I am overwhelmed by the effort that has gone into acquiring this history. I will certainly use it believe me.
    I understand that the factory was able to get back on its feet relatively quickly as Dieter and Rudolf had access to a vast Luftwaffe repair facility having undertaken the manufacture of aircraft parts during the war. Although all their own machine tools had been destroyed by a 500 pound bomb that blew up the factory the gear they needed was lying around waiting to be liberated. Or so the story goes.
    Dieter's wife Flo told me that during the worst of the bombing Dieter stayed in Berlin with his father and that when everybody else was diving for cover he would make his way onto the nearest roof to watch the mayhem.
    I am up against a bit of deadline pressure as I want to get my book out - called The Kiwi On The Koenig' the idea is to have it out for Christmas.
    One interesting aspect of the story has been the places where Koenig engines ended up. On Speedway tracks in cars and bikes, on the grand prix motorcycle circuit, on the backs of hydfros of course and in the air. When Father Goose took his first trainees South beside an ultralite he was powered by Koenig.
    Anyway, as always, thank you for your trouble. I know it's a consuming interest for all of you and that gathering the history is something you would want to do anyway but I still really appreciate the effort.

Who was Flo? There's a ca. 1955 picture of Dieter, rig, and Eleanora, and Daughter Marion looks (today) very much like Eleanora.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe...Flo was Eleanora! Dieter was not tall and She was shorter than Dieter. I didn't know her real name for many years. I was introduced to her as Flo, but I am not exactly sure of the spelling. It always sounded like Flo, but her nickname and what she went by according to Dieter is "flea" in German. Dieter took me to a "flea market" in Berlin beneath an elevated roadway and he told me that his wifes's nickname meant "flea". I don't know for sure the name in German of a flea. But Dieter told me that that's where the name Flo oringinated...the nickname flea.

Thread Information