Thread: Konig History

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this is the right Marion in Berlin. She ran a day care
    in her apt. 6 yrs. ago. We were inside the factory then.

König Marion
    Krampasplatz 5, 14199 Berlin, Schmargendorf
    Tel. 030 64 32 71 82

[/QUOTE]

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I send a letter via postal mail. It's worth a try.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Researching about East German two strokes outboards's history I personally get in touch with Mr Bischoff from the Arens factory. We had a good contact especially because he speaks English and I send him a list of questions that he had to ask to Mr Holger Arens (who doesn't speaks English) so Mr Bischoff acted as an interpreter.

There is one month now and still have no reply. If somebody here visit soon again the Arens factory in Berlin please let me know.

Thank you.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really cool history. Thanks to all the people here who have contributed to this history. I saw my first Konigs in 1963 in Region 10 when Dick Rautenberg had an "A", Jack Reed had a "C" and at the 1963 APBA "Alky" Nationals in Moses Lake, Washington they both won the National Championship. Red Halliday had a "D" Konig and got second. The Quincy team still won a lot of Championships. Their trailer had on the side had "Nothing" which I understand meant that the year before they got "Skunked". Someone here please verify what the "Nothing" on the side of their trailer meant.

The Quincy history is also very cool. Quincy really made the Alky Division bigger. In Region 10 back in the 1960's, there were elimination heats in most of the "Alky" classes. Thanks for this great history.
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere it was supposed to say 'Nothing runs like a Quincy' but they had to leave before the signpainter was done. I'll try to remember the rference.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The thread on BRF is " Nothing :.
    Likes Gene East liked this post

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The Nothing on the trailer was because we were running out of time getting ready for the long trip out Northwest and that's all the sign painter completed
    right before we left

Remember we had to have the racing customers motors ready first !
    A picture at Quincy Welding right before we left will follow !

Jim Schoch was a hot driver in 1963 plus the girls liked him too !

In 1963 Jim dominated the racing circuits by placing 1st in over 1/2 of the classes he ran at the various races. At the APBA World Nationals in 1963 at Moses Lakes, Washington, Schoch became the 5th man in history to win 3 titles in one year (Class C Hydro, Class D Hydro & Class F Hydro)

Jim and the Quincy Racing team then moved on to the NOA World Championships near Atlanta, Georgia at Lake Spively where Jim took 6 1st place finishes and went on to win the 1963 titles in A Hydro, C Runabout and F Runabout. That same year Jim set a 5 mile competition record for D Hydro (75 mph) at Lakeland, Florida. Note: Jim won 6 World Championships by winning 3 championships in each sanctioning body, both APBA and NOA, in 1963, a historic first.

PS, Dean i may have a picture of you back then, will see if i can dig thru everything and post it here .

Regards.
    Paul

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

First photo -- Dean, is this you and your wife at Spokane?

Second photo is of the "Nothing" trailer at Quincy Welding, minutes before departing for the trip to Moses Lake, Washington. The paint is still tacky on the Nothing.

Third photo is of the hot Anzani and Konig racers in A & B Hydro at the Spokane event.

There's a really good photo, taken by the Spokesman Review from Thursday, Aug. 22nd, 1963 of my father O. F. Christner and myself, standing in front of our trailer shortly after arriving at the race site.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a very early Konig expansion chamber hiding behind a tree in the last photo. Maybe it didn't want anyone to copy it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumleyfips View Post
    Looks like a very early Konig expansion chamber hiding behind a tree in the last photo. Maybe it didn't want anyone to copy it.
    No Those were on a A motor and was one of the upgrades for that motor, motor on the hydro with guys standing is a B with megs that came straight out the sides. The A, also had these type megs and also some that angled back. Steve

Thread Information