Thread: Konig History

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What I see Steve is a Konig with megaphones an Anzani with megaphones and a Konig with the rocket fin expansion chambers. The mid 60's saw a lot of different alky ideas in use.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, the guy in that photo doesn't look like the young Deano that I remember, and that Hal Kelly Jupiter behind him has a "U" region designator (No. Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Utah), where Dean's boats had an "R" for Reg. 10 (Wash., Ore., Idaho).

Dean, if you get back here, I think Paul has it right about Jim Schock winning COH in '63, not Jack Reed. Reed was plenty fast and might have won one heat, and he did set a competition record, maybe kilo as well. If you recall, Don Haack bought Reed's whole COH rig (FC Konig/short-sponson Sid) and ran it a few times. Made a distinctive sound. Lost in the fire, alas.

Steve, no doubt you noticed that a lot of '60s/'70s 2-stroke street bikes had (muffled) expansion chambers that, if you got inside the chromed cover, looked a lot like those early A Konig chambers, long and skinny with a nearly flat baffle cone. My '76 Yamaha RD400C, for one. Interestingly, quite a few club-level bike racers of RDs were disappointed to discover that replacing their skinny factory chambers with more modern and aggressive-looking aftermarket chambers, even after re-tuning and jetting, often didn't turn much quicker lap times.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Paul,

The picture is not me. And also check your records.... "A" Hydro at Moses Lake in 1963 was won by Dick Rautenberg with a Konig.

Best Regards, Dean..............
    Dean Hobart

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes that is what I was saying, the a has the yard dart pipes behind the tree, the B has the bull horns. the Anzani has normal for them. Steve

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Dean,

Please reread my post as I originally stated, Jim Schoch won an A hydro championship in Atlanta at Lake Spivley after winning three championships at Moses Lake in 1963!

My original post quote:

"Jim Schoch was a hot driver in 1963, plus the girls liked him too!

In 1963 Jim dominated the racing circuits by placing 1st in over 1/2 of the classes he ran at the various races. At the APBA World Nationals in 1963 at Moses Lakes, Washington, Schoch became the 5th man in history to win 3 titles in one year (Class C Hydro, Class D Hydro & Class F Hydro)

Jim and the Quincy Racing team then moved on to the NOA World Championships near Atlanta, Georgia at Lake Spively where Jim took 6 1st place finishes and went on to win the 1963 titles in A Hydro, C Runabout and F Runabout. That same year Jim set a 5 mile competition record for D Hydro (75 mph) at Lakeland, Florida. Note: Jim won 6 World Championships by winning 3 championships in each sanctioning body, both APBA and NOA, in 1963, a historic first.

PS: Dean, I may have a picture of you back then, will see if i can dig thru everything and post it here."

Regards,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading back through this thread but can't find the answer to a question I have , which is , who was the first driver to win an APBA National using a Koenig motor ?

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racingfan1 View Post
    I have been reading back through this thread but can't find the answer to a question I have , which is , who was the first driver to win an APBA National using a Koenig motor ?
    Or also any championship???? That would also be cool information. In other words, World Championship, European Championship, NOA Championship or whatever.

Thanks.... I really enjoy this Koenig history.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Steve Liddell or maybe Ralph Donald comes across this as they might be able to help out.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dieter raced here in 1957. He was on his honeymoon with Flo. I believe there is a picture of them together somewhere in this thread. I'm not positive, but I think Dieter ran in the APBA Nationals in Arkansas that year. They had a long and short course. At the start Dieter took his C hydro down to the first turn of the longer course while leading. He was confused why all the others took the short course. It was Dieter that misunderstood and was confused. Think he had the fastest motors, but do not remember the outcome. Will have to look. Dieter also raced at Sunset Lake near Corpus Christi in 1957 at the NOA World Championships. Have to look that up too.

ADD: Dumperjack may have some answers. I found from Mike Ward's book that Dieter won the 1957 John Ward Race in Monaco with a Konig on a Swift hydro.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The first UIM European Championship won by a Konig motor was the OA championship at Berlin-Grunau in 1954 by Siegfried Gotzinger.
    Dieter Konig himself won the first World Championship in class OC at Traben-Trabach in 1964.
    Thanks Mark75H thanked for this post
    Likes Mark75H liked this post

Thread Information