Thread: Konig History

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I have some B&W photos too I will post later Skoontz. I can't answer your question, but maybe more photos will have additional details if someone else can't confirm what you think. In the meantime...here are a couple more.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mold markings on the heads???

Hi Wayne:

Any idea what the little round markings are on the sealing surface area that contacts the sleeves and other areas of the head? The combustion chamber looks to be pretty well finish machined except for those marks. Just wondering if they were to be left there for some reason when the engine was final assembled, or were they removed prior.

And yes I am happy for computers also for the same reasons, although like my first wife they can be madning though useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Do I see a swing arm and set of shocks on the front forks of one of those bikes? An italian crotch rocket maker was the only one I have ever seen do that.
    No, I think you are seeing the edge of the radiator, not a spring. There have been many bikes with that though ... the Honda "Dream" series all had it in miniature on their fronts ... I think BMW or Zundapp used it for a while ... some offroad bikes had it in the late '60's ... I think I recall a Bultaco dirtbike with it
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Molding marks

Any idea what the little round markings are on the sealing surface area that contacts the sleeves and other areas of the head?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Bill the parts look to be unmachined. See no sparkplug hole. The circle shapes seem to be the casting paths of the liquid hot material.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill Van I don't know the particulars of the casting process, but what Bill says sounds right. They will go away when the heads are machined. The outside is finished except for the spark plug hole, so they would have been poured with the internal part facing up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Do I see a swing arm and set of shocks on the front forks of one of those bikes?
    The 3rd bike, closet to the wall, is facing the other way, and u are looking at the rear swing arm.
    But this 'flat four' motor was/is popular in side car racing, where the Earles type fork is common.

"the Earles fork is a variety of leading link fork where the pivot point was aft of the rear of the front wheel ─ this was the basis of the Earle's patent, by Englishman Ernest Earles, this triangulated fork actually caused the front end of a motorcycle to rise when braking hard.
    It was designed to accommodate sidecars, and from 1955 to 1969, BMW used the fork even on its solo bikes.."
    The early Honda 50CC used a variant of this, and others.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,
    Its been a while but I have been beavering away on my Kim Newwcombe book.
    Thanks largely to all your input the book now has a comprehensive section on the part Koenig played in American hydroplane racing and with your collective permission I would like to aknowledge in the book the Gentleman of the Boat Racing Facts Forum.
    If anyone has any more good action photos of Mr K racing, or good 'personality' studies or of anyone racing a Konig I wold love to see them.
    With luck the book will be out for Xmas.
    So thanks one and all.
    Tim Hanna

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default final posts to come on another thread

Tim:

Possibly you have seen the thread entitled "Konig vs. Flathead" in the Outboard History section of BRF. The final two years both mfgrs were competing against each other with new motors available before Waldman's death, and the results of National and World Championship races in the US, will be posted within the next 24 hrs, if you are interested. I have been very busy with some other things since the last posts on this subject, but will get the final results up shortly.

Perhaps this will help you more completely in your endeavour.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill,
    It would be great to have the championship results. In fact it would be invaluable.
    I will read the Konig versus flathead thread with great interest.
    many thanks
    Tim Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Steenwyk View Post
    Tim:

Possibly you have seen the thread entitled "Konig vs. Flathead" in the Outboard History section of BRF. The final two years both mfgrs were competing against each other with new motors available before Waldman's death, and the results of National and World Championship races in the US, will be posted within the next 24 hrs, if you are interested. I have been very busy with some other things since the last posts on this subject, but will get the final results up shortly.

Perhaps this will help you more completely in your endeavour.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig RA 250cc 1953

First I saw a König was at the European Championships in Köping, Sweden, 1953. Dieter flew in from West-Berlin with a motor in his luggage. He lend my fathers older stephydro painted in Germanys national color white. He was faster than the competitors but was unlucky to brake the crankshaft in the lead. Thanks to that my father, Nils Johansson, could win his fourth European Championship with his old Johnson KR. The ten year old guy to the left is me.

Henry Johansson
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Thread Information