Thread: Konig History

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I also heard about the combination motor Henry. My last race was at the OD World Championships in Berlin 1981. I've never been back, but Steve Litzell lived in Berlin for awhile working for Dieter. I think he is the one that told me about the OE Konig. I wish he would take time to come on here and give is some history that he lived through. Dieter gave him the knowledge and confidence he had to build his own 8 cylinder.

Thanks for the pics and info Lars. Who was driving the Beck's boat? I guess after 1978 OE's never ran methanol again? I have a bunch of Powerboat & Waterskiing issues that I did not read after I quit racing. Maybe there's some info there I can post. In the meantime Henry and Lars....keep digging up stuff to post.

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the drivers name was Peter Walush..

Well...methanol was legal after 1978..I used it for Sprint racing up to the end of 1982 OE/F3 season.
    OMC did not have a methanol kit to buy for OE/F3, so I made one for me.
    (Thanks to my experience from Volvo Penta/Konig 1977)

The picture from the 1982 OE Sprint World Championship, I raced my Burgess/Evinrude
    on Methanol.

Photo ..
    My Molinari-Volvo Penta/König from 1977.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Post Thanks / Like

That's right Lars. Here is a roster from a race program from Berlin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Methanol

What happened here? OMC had methanol banned at the 77 or 78 OE Dayton OH. World Championships to hurt the Koing's. Then it was legal to run after that race? Was this just a one race deal. What happened at Dayton was about the worse thing i ever seen happen in boat racing. Here we have OMC the large's outboard company in the world, pull tricks to hurt an almost one man company. I still feel that Konig did a great job in these races, what would have happend if he had the money and backing that OMC and Merc had. If i remember right, Jeff Hutchin's turned faster laps with a 350 cc (20 ci) motor than the OMC OE's did. I could be wrong about some of this, but this is how i remember it, if i am feel free to correct me.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig History

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Hi Henry,

First.. you do a fantastic job to promote Classic Outboard Racing in Scandinavia..

Yes, I think you are right..about the Konig 8 cyl.
    ..this photo is from the OE World Championship 1982.

Boat #222 Beck´s Beer used that 8 cylinder Konig engine..
    Well..many cylinders..but not fast enough...

The white Burgess/Evinrude with # 1 was faster and won the W/Champion ship..
    Thanks Lars, By help of Classic we started interrest to arrange titel races up in Mora through Tomas Lind and Jan-Erik Kallur and in Nora (Note the difference) Peter Skoogh will arrange World Championships in OSY400 August 13-15 this summer. Would be great to see drivers from US there.

About the blue hose I heard that if the prop get stuck, a fan blew air to the prop so it started to cavitate and the rev could increase. The motor was fixed to the transom, no lift.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Pigott View Post
    What happened here? OMC had methanol banned at the 77 or 78 OE Dayton OH. World Championships to hurt the Koing's. Then it was legal to run after that race? Was this just a one race deal. What happened at Dayton was about the worse thing i ever seen happen in boat racing. Here we have OMC the large's outboard company in the world, pull tricks to hurt an almost one man company. I still feel that Konig did a great job in these races, what would have happend if he had the money and backing that OMC and Merc had. If i remember right, Jeff Hutchin's turned faster laps with a 350 cc (20 ci) motor than the OMC OE's did. I could be wrong about some of this, but this is how i remember it, if i am feel free to correct me.
    Hi Danny Pigott,

I was not racing in Dayton, OH that year, but I raced OE many, many years mainly overseas..
    We used methanol all the time for sprint racing.
    When F3 Aspen World Championship series started 1981 I used gasoline and methanol depending on what type of race.

I left OE/F3 after the 1982 season for F1 V8 racing, but my brother
    Lennart raced the F3 series for many more years.
    I think Lennart never used methanol..maybe not legal after 1982..
    (do not remember).

The big argument in Europe was the OE World Sprint Championship
    in Brodenbach, Germany 1977..OMC drivers was not allowed to use "laughing gas" sprayed
    in to the carburetors there.
    If I remember right Dieter Konig and Mercury, Germany was behind that.
    (I raced for Dieter there)

Four OMC drivers did not start the race..stayed in the pit and OMC protested to UIM

The 1977 OE World Sprint Champion Micheal Werner lost his title later that year. UIM said the race was not run by the roles.

1978 I was not Racing OE, but did 1979..
    The OE World Sprint Championship was in Evian, France and we used
    methanol there.

I think OMC, Mercury, Carniti, Konig and others all behaved strange at some time.

Regards

Lars Strom
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Post Thanks / Like

From UIM OE World Champion list..
    There was no OE WC 1977!!!

1979 MOLINARI Renato ITALY
    1978 HERING Bob USA
    1977 ---
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting about the hose Henry. I could see where that would help when trying to get on plane with a big prop. The biggest problem Dieter had with the opposed 6 cylinder with a pressed crankshaft and 120 degree on each set of cylinders was that overreving would cause it to twist.

Danny and Lars. I have a ton of correspondence from national authorities all over the world leading up to the OE World Championships at Dayton. Some day I plan on organizing it and putting it all under one thread. What Lars said is correct. Under UIM rules, the fuel was "free" meaning any type was legal, but it had to be liquid under ordinary temperatures. I don't remember who was using nitrous oxide, but you can believe that Joachim DuCoffre was right on top of that and filed a protest. After the OE world was awarded to the U.S., OMC proposed that methanol be banned for motors over 700 cc and to become effective immediately rather than give a two year grace period as the rules stated. Gary Garbrecht initially supported the rule change, but after we explained the situation he supported us, but it did not go back to fuel is free until after Dayton. We didn't race OE again after that, so I didn't keep track, but I believe they followed the grace period, and 1979, 80 and maybe 81 methanol was legal.

Jeff scratched in OB Danny, but Denny Henderson had the fastest time winning one heat at an average speed of 72.096. Bob Hering won all three heats he ran with his best time being in the second heat at 72.449. I couldn't go by elapsed time because OE ran more laps by UIM rules. Bob sat out the last heat and the water was calmner that the first three. It was too rough for any of the alky boats and all of us rigged down except for Jeff Hutchins. The water laid just before the final heat and he won by a huge distance, but for some reason the times were not taken on that final heat. Jeff did however clock the fastest heat of OC which averaged 76.017.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again Wayne,

I am pretty sure we used Methanol at the 1982 OE World Sprint Championship race in Drammen, Norway..

Peter Walush and a few more Konigs raced there..See photo..
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure you are correct Lars. After I quit racing I was not able to keep up with racing because four of the key employees of our company went into competition with us at the same time the oilfield collapsed. It took all my time just to help fill in the gaps and it was 10 years before I went to another race.

Thread Information