Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 75 stinger ft

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 75 stinger ft

i found a 75stinger ft on ebay australia.
    i am thinking of buying it and puting it on a thundercat inflatable, with tiller steer.
    does anyone has specs about this motor?
    i need weight, rated hp and anything else people know about these motors.
    looks pretty clean, and not very expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=220257186047

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know exactly how that motor was configured and sold in Australia, but I do not believe it was sold like that in the US and Europe. For one thing, I thought if it had the 2 barrel carbs, the correct head would be the high compression head and not the "standard" head. I also thought the pointy nosecone lower unit was a feature of a much newer motor (SST60 in the US). I see that the seller says he has extra gearboxes that go with it. Perhaps he has the original gearbox as well, but I'd take heed that with what he says about the spare parts the motor may not be a "genuine FT" ... sounds more like it is an amalgamation of parts.

I'm sure Fred will chime in with the estimated hp of the US version of the FT in complete form, but the motors were sold as race motors and never had official hp ratings. If it is correct as the seller describes the estimated hp of the US version would be considerably more than the Australian version. Weight is approximately 200 pounds.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I do not know exactly how that motor was configured and sold in Australia, but I do not believe it was sold like that in the US and Europe. For one thing, I thought if it had the 2 barrel carbs, the correct head would be the high compression head and not the "standard" head. I also thought the pointy nosecone lower unit was a feature of a much newer motor (SST60 in the US). I see that the seller says he has extra gearboxes that go with it. Perhaps he has the original gearbox as well, but I'd take heed that with what he says about the spare parts the motor may not be a "genuine FT" ... sounds more like it is an amalgamation of parts.

I'm sure Fred will chime in with the estimated hp of the US version of the FT in complete form, but the motors were sold as race motors and never had official hp ratings. If it is correct as the seller describes the estimated hp of the US version would be considerably more than the Australian version. Weight is approximately 200 pounds.
    Sam,
    They look like 2 barrel carbs to me. And yes, they didn't have nose cones. I actually had one on a Cobia tri-hull when I was racing for OMC & was still with Lawn-Boy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but didn't Lars Strom say that he used this type of motor in SE class in Sweden? A FT Sport E to be exact.
    Mark N

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by MN1 View Post
    Yes, but didn't Lars Strom say that he used this type of motor in SE class in Sweden? A FT Sport E to be exact.
    Mark N
    Might have, the class in Europe was actually OE. If so then, they allowed nose cones, and knowing Paul Kalb, he no doubt pioneered it's use. I don't recall that they were used in APBA Sport E, as the SE motor was the same as the one you purchased from your local dealer. As Sam pointed out, it looks like the SST 60 gear case. The SST 60 was a race motor from OMC, unlike the Stinger 75.

Post Thanks / Like

From the color of the motor it should be a 1975 motor. What year did Merc come out with the 650xs? Maybe this was made to compete with Mercury's 650xs or the other way around?
    Mark N

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

so comparing it with the 650xs, i think the merc would be more suitable for my application. i found a 650xs for 1500, which is alot cheaper then this motor, lighter, and would be easier to find a tiller since some mercury models came with tillers.
    what does everyone else think?

Post Thanks / Like

You'd be giving up both power and reliability with the Merc. The specs show the Merc 40 pounds heavier, too. Don't know where you got the idea it would be lighter???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MN1 View Post
    From the color of the motor it should be a 1975 motor. What year did Merc come out with the 650xs? Maybe this was made to compete with Mercury's 650xs or the other way around?
    Mark N
    My list shows the first year for the 650XS as 1976; but the OMC racer stuff is fuzzy. Hard to pin most of it down because of different availability here and Europe.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 75 stinger ft

My dad was a Johnson dealer in Australia in the 70's and we certainly sold a few of these motors. I can confirm that they came with a through hub exhaust and definitely no nose cone on the gear box. From memory they were quoted as 75hp by the OMC factory in Australia. The main attraction of the motor was that it had a short shaft midsection but could still be raced in the standard production classes that were the prevalent in Australia at the time. The Merc 650xs was around at the same time but couldn't get anywhere near the performance of the OMC triples.

Thread Information