Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some advice

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it is true J Dub's and my buddy Mark Evans alway's took a camera with him in the boat. The first time he whipped it out after a heat, on the cool down lap I let him know he is # 1 with me. You will not see a picture Evan's has of me that does not affirm he is # 1. He is a kook, and he also is one of the best friends I have. One more good Evan's story. We were racing in Detroit in 2001, at the Gold Cup. It was the first time I had been back in a unlimited since a very bad accident,in 1997 at Detroit. I guess I forgot I retired. Anyway a nameless referee got on my case to start a heat on the outside, due to the time I had been out of the boat. I informed this guy I had more laps around Detroit than most people, and I really didn't need his help. Well the guy just went off on me, and it really pissed me off! Mark came by my pit a few minutes later, and I told him what had happened. Mark's face got real red, and he ran off. About an hour later he comes back by and tells me the referee won't be a problem any longer. I said " Evan's what did you do ? " He said he met the guy behind the restroom's and no one was around. He grabbed the guy by the neck and put him on the wall, and informed him he did not appreciate how he talked to his friend, Me. Well needless to say I never had another problem with the guy, he steered a wide berth around me, and I started the race where I wanted to. I told Mark I was a big boy, and I could handle my own issues. Mark didn't care, he would not stand by and let a friend get treated poorly. Now that is a kook, but also shows what a great friend he truly is. Take care, Scotty

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hook

Check for hook in bottom strakes and pads.most manufactures put hook in the back of the boat to help get on a plane.if it is filled in removed it is a faster bottom.when removed the boat will stand on end to climb over the bubble pushed up by the boat.my boat similar pulling skier up at ski racing long lines big skis and skiers.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I will take a look. Scotty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Simple Advice from Ron Hill

Hey Scott, WELCOME to BRF......Just start telling us stories and post pictures...

For your boat, a 17 pitch five blade will "BLOW YOUR DRESS UP"....So to speak...Those Whale Tail Sting Ray things are for toilet seats...

You just need a smaller prop...

I got an old Speedmaster here...won't bolt up to your drive and I need $3,500 for it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice Ron. Will a High Five prop work OK, or do you have something better? Thanks, Scotty

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Your Dad?

Hey Scott,
    Am finding a few on here that were friends with my Dad, George. Have to ask you if your father is Laird Pierce from Plastic and Rubber? I believe he invented the "O" ring?
    Alan Ishii
    Los Angeles, CA

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Alan, Yes, my father was Laird Pierce. He died in 1972, at the age of 41. He was a National Champion in the 266 class, twice with Miss Parco. My father drove in the 1964 win, and Wayne Thompson was the driver in 1966. My father did not invent the o-ring, I wish he did though, LOL. My two granfathers were best friends, and they devolped and built rubber presse's that were able to build a 100,000 o-rings per shift, and that did put o-rings on the map for the masses. The company was and is Plastic and Rubber Products, CO. hence the Parco. Miss Parco was the name of my fathers 266, and that was the first boat I drove on competition, in the Los Angeles area, with region 12. My father's unlimiteds were Dixi Cola, in 1965, and Parco's O-Ring Miss from 1967 through 1970. My father never won an unlimited race, I was extremly proud to put the Pierce name on quite a few unlimited wins, and a World Championship. Too bad he was not here to see it. he would have been over the moon. Take care, Scotty Pierce

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Scotty

Scotty,
    Thanks for the account and history of the "O" ring. Your family certainly were innovators in the advancement of hydraulics. We would not have power trim if not for the "O" ring. I hate to date myself, but I remember very well going to your plant on Slauson and my Dad telling me what a great guy your Dad was. We have a machine shop in Los Angeles. You would fuse rubbed seals on some of the parts we were making. We were a little sad when you moved from that Slauson plant. You know, sometimes I drive by there and always think of your Dad and mine when I do. I am very sorry to hear that you lost him so early. I would guess that when your Dad passed away was about the time some of his employees started Royal Seals? My Dad died in 1974. We sure remember Parco O Ring Miss. We ALWAYS rooted for you and your Dad. Great to see you on here. Although we are from different types of boat racing, we are all fraternity brothers here thanks to our old friend, Ron.

Thread Information