Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some advice

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for some advice

Hi Folks, Former unlimited hydro driver Scotty Pierce here. I just bought a 1989 Marlin 21' kinda go fast boat. I believe the boat was built in Seattle, although it looks a lot like the boats from my youth on the Colorado river. The boat is powered with a Mercruiser 888 with a Alpha drive from the 80's. The engine is a 350 Chevy. The owner tells me the boat goes real bow high going on plane. He installed a Sting Ray on the drive, and said it helped. I hate Sting Ray's, it seems to be crutch for a problem elsewhere, mostly under powered boats. This boat is not under powered. While I haven't measured the bottom angle yet, it looks to my naked eye to be around 15 degrees. I believe this stock drive has the propeller to far below the bottom, and I am thinking a Speedmaster lower unit might improve the performance. So my question is, am I on the bus, or not? If I am where can I find a lower unit? Thanks, Scotty Pierce 206 949-1695

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

THE Scotty Pierce? As in 1991's Seafair winner? Welcome!
    I'm sure some of our vendors or readers will have something suitable in the classifieds for you. That is the limit of my expertise right now, but you're in good hands.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Benski, Yes it's me. Thanks for the reply. Take care, Scotty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome Scotty......

Watched you race and am a big fan...............You might want to ask Ron Hill about these units. He is always running into things like this and I think he would be happ to know you are on his site. Good luck and I'm looking forward to some good stories from your racing career................
    Charley Bradley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Charlie, I could tell some stories, the problem is everyone would think they are BS, and the fact is they are all true, LOL If Ron could help me that would be great! I am thinking a high five prop might let me rid of the hated sting ray. The boat is actually pretty cool. I will post a picture soon. Another unlimited driver, Nate Brown actually put this boat together, and Nate did is usual great job. Back to the stories, my buddy Mark Evan's is threatining all of us that he is writing a book. I have told Mark to leave me out of the book, and he told me, Scotty, you are the main attraction, after Mark, of course. I will kill him, slowly. Take care, Scotty

Post Thanks / Like

Scott,

In my experiences with N. Mark Evans, I believe that scewball have a picture book...

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey J Dub, Are you implying our buddy can't write? You know you might be right. I called Mark tonight to let him know about this forum, I think it is pretty cool. Love the K boat and Cracker Box stuff. Maybe some of us unlimited drivers can have some fun here, without attracting a lot of attention. Take care, Scotty

Post Thanks / Like

A little of that maybe… But how many other nut-jobs carry a camera in their race boat at any speed? He has said for many years he was going to write a book. Maybe we could get him to post some of his picture on this site. I have seen a few, they are cool! I am sure he has pictures of you from inside his boat.
    I remember when I was working for the Bud team and he was driving while Chip was injured, I couldn't figure out what the pouch was zip tied to the steering wheel. Mark informed me it was his camera bag!
    Hence the picture book.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BRF is the place for stories and pictures. If you're afraid of the statute of limitations, just claim they ARE bs. We would like to hear them. If you are concerned about some pictures, just paste a black strip across the eyes. If the stories aren't told, what good are they to remember? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Draw attention??????

Scotty......Don't be concerned about attracting too much attention here. You will be in the company of some of the greatest racing personalities you could ever hope to find. There is history dating back to just before it was light (right, Russ) There are so many stories about our sport that it will take you months to get through them all. With you coming on board, I KNOW there are some great stories to come from you (at least one good one that I know of) Ron and Ted have put this together so every part of boat racing has some place to go and share the good times and bad with people they may have seen once a long time ago but will never forget. Have fun and enjoy...........you won't regret the time you spend here.

PS.........Check out the threads about the World Championships down in FL this coming October. Might be worth a trip.
    Charley Bradley

Thread Information