Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10 tunnel hull cougar cub help

Formula 1, SST45 Lee Motorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As a former owner and driver of three of these 10' Cougar Cubs with 25XD Mercs back in 1984 - 1986, these boats are very fun to drive. Not too sure of Ron's experience with these, but I had a lot of fun in these as both lake boats and on a course. Of course, I was 14 years old and didn't know any better either. hehe.

With a 25 Merc, trimmed out in the #5 tilt pin hole, you can get 43-45mph with a re-pitched aluminum prop to 18". Mercury made an 18" Chopper for the 25 that you can find here or there sometimes on the internet. I lost the part number a couple years ago. If you get one of these Choppers, you are supposed to raise the engine 1" on the transom. Otherwise, leave it flush on the transom. The Chopper will not run any better than a repitched aluminum prop, so save your money and don't look for one. There are also some cleavers out there too, but I never ran one of those.

One thing about the #5 tilt pin hole, it will cavitate for days and never get on plane unless you are heading into the wind with serious waves to get it going. Once it planes though, you are trimmed to about the last 12" inches of the stern in the water at top speed. Start out in the #3 hole and work your way up until you get the feel for how to plane it out. Of course, I only weighed about 110lbs. back then.

I saw one on the net about 5 - 7 years ago out in Texas where a guy had taken this setup and put nitrous on the 25 Merc. I think it was a 50 shot, but he claimed the boat ran 80mph top speed. Not sure how long that engine will stay together and whether or not I could knowingly put someone in a Cougar Cub IF it really ran that kind of speed. I was never afraid of its attitude at mid 40's, but like others have stated, it wasn't meant for much more than that.

Good luck, have fun, and be SAFE. Slide over and lean into the turns to keep it right-side up when turning left. Like a dumbass, I tried to turn one over one time and almost succeeded. Never did though. Maybe Ron just weighed too much. hehe.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racecar001 View Post
    I am looking to get some where around 50-55mph out of this boat... what would be the best power option ? it would need power trim and a 15" mid other then that light as possible.. 25hp is not cutting it
    Name:  Cougar-8.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  46.2 KB
    My 10' Cougar Cub has an '85 25hp Merc...runs 38mph on it's on and 59mph GPS on the bottle!! Solid mounts on engine, a 10" Bob's jackplate and a SS Power Tech prop mandatory!
    It handles like a dream and a TON of fun!!!!!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mini tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by racecar001 View Post
    I am looking to get some where around 50-55mph out of this boat... what would be the best power option ? it would need power trim and a 15" mid other then that light as possible.. 25hp is not cutting it
    I have seen these before, though rarely. They look like a miniature version of an off-shore cat hull race boat (the kind millionares drive). The fact is though, these boats were not really made to be run in high water at all. The tunnel is more about getting a bit of speed from a mild powered outboard of the higher duty portable class (15-25 hp). Most of all, as a racer it was likely a novice type competitor. This would be more of a safe, family fun category of racing that could be a good introduction for practice of rules and sportsmanship. Like anything, it could be rigged and souped up to run fast, but a good idea would be to fix it up real nice and correct with the right intended motor. You see, what you have is a potential collectors item that you could sell later on and find a good deal on ,lets say, a nice classic "C" runabout (center fin) with a good mark 30H merc or YAMATO 102 or 302.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran one of these boats around my waterway for a few years. It came with a 20hp. Upgraded carb to 25hp but wasn't much better. Added power trim and the boat was much mlre fun and controlable. Still wouldnt plane without your mate up the front deck. Broke 3 swival brackets on the early type 80's mercs (same as 25xd) from jumping waves. This boat would prefer to cross over boat wake with the bow raised right up and glide on the back of the sponsons. I added trim tabs which helped this boat get on the plane and cushion landings from wave jumps. Boat begun to crack up and stress fractures so I took the deck off and layed up the hull with attention to the steps as blew out and cracked open twice. I added too much weight reinforcing the hull but it was so solid it felt and sounded like a thick glass boat. Never flexed again and could punch through chop without fear.
    Most speed I got was 45-48mph with a 30hp mercury, 14p powertech prop. The 18p chopper didn't do anything.
    Boat is definitely not designed for speed, it's a visual hull with steps and all but the design is for looks not performance. After realizing no matter what I did to the boat, jack plate, props, setback, it was never going to get on top those sponsons being far too narrow. I don't think these boats were meant to break free from the water through the tunnel plank, hence the step and extra raised tunnel in the plank. This would make the hull loose compression. Great boat for kids to get started in, or big kids to have fun in but one work of advice, put a foot throttle in it because you need two hands on the wheel and one foot on the throttle at all times to control the thing. I used to take my cub offshore wave jumping. Lol. Thought I was some sort of mini offshore cat boat before realizing it takes a small amount of water to Swamp these little boats. Make sure you have flotation
    Fun boats to play around with and get very wet in. I had a blast in it for 3 years before wanting something more better designed.
    The race never stops

Thread Information