Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 tunnel hull cougar cub help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racecar001 View Post
    ok well 50mph is not realistic.... my setup as is 25 merc 14p stock prop 5500rpms 25mph or so...I also have a ron hill cleaver 17p and it is slower with more rpms.... it should go faster then that right? the engine is mounted on the transom and the prop shaft is about 2" below the bottom of the boat, also I have tried a whale tail it helps on take off but hurts top speed by 3mph or so. any advise would help a
    If your stock prop does 25 or so and a more pitch prop does more Rs and less speed then its probably not hooking up fully. Is the cleaver a race prop or a hi perf. sport type? You need to know if its a surface prop or not to know if its too deep or shallow. In alot of cases when your not dealing with overwhelming HP the lesser pitch will accelerate better and be faster. I think from experience with your average 25s that 35 mph maybe more is possible, try different setups, note results. I like to make 1 change at a time so you dont guess as much if something works, or not. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonM50 View Post
    If your stock prop does 25 or so and a more pitch prop does more Rs and less speed then its probably not hooking up fully. Is the cleaver a race prop or a hi perf. sport type? You need to know if its a surface prop or not to know if its too deep or shallow. In alot of cases when your not dealing with overwhelming HP the lesser pitch will accelerate better and be faster. I think from experience with your average 25s that 35 mph maybe more is possible, try different setups, note results. I like to make 1 change at a time so you dont guess as much if something works, or not. Good luck.
    I was writing this when Rons post came up, I dont know about the boat but would take serious the advise given. Not much more fun than a fast boat that can deliver and still be able to handle adversity, Ive been lucky with my Airborn and Bezoats. Maybe put a put-put motor on it and get another.

Post Thanks / Like

Default speed costs

as stated the hull was designed for a 15
    20-25 mph for a childrens learning class,,,,mini mouse/mini mini gt type class
    most were run with 25s as a play boat 25-30

can make it run fast with the motor combinations i stated
    but then it becomes a serious driving boat over 30
    as others said they dont turn,,,,,,,,,,,,
    and so short,,,,gotta keep the transom weight light and bow down

sounds like the motor is too deep
    water needs to be following below the cavitation plate
    if whaletail slows it down this means it is dragging water,,,,,,,,
    it should not touch water while in plane at speed

as ron said dont raise it NO higher than the proper height
    of water just below cavitation plate
    need all prop in the water possible to stay safe
    we have a 12' scat cat with 25 merc on it it does 32-36
    all stock
    so properly set up you should see them speeds

is there any racer in his area
    to give him some help and guidance????????
    best to be set up right and be safe
    no matter what size or speed is ran
    john

Post Thanks / Like

I used to run a 72 OMC 50 hp on a 15' aluminum boat [the boat is well built and HD]. Had a hard time tracking straight cause it would porpoise/propwalk/ twist in sort of a rythem that I would sorta even out a little by moving the wheel in sinc. Turns out a whale tail was the ticket, the boat went a little faster just for tracking straight and leaped onto plane too. Yours mustve been dragging.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow burn the boat I just got um no thanks... didnt they used to race these things ? I cant imagine they all just flipped over ... maybe I am doing something right it seems fine at 25mph turns fine and is stable when turning... hence why I am asking for positive help on making it go faster. so if I jack the engine up a bit the cleaver should work better?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racecar001 View Post
    wow burn the boat I just got um no thanks... didnt they used to race these things ? I cant imagine they all just flipped over ... maybe I am doing something right it seems fine at 25mph turns fine and is stable when turning... hence why I am asking for positive help on making it go faster. so if I jack the engine up a bit the cleaver should work better?
    Just because something was raced does not mean there were no restrictions, in fact most racing is highly restricted.

If you jack it up you are asking for trouble. 25 mph is THE speed, faster is trouble; the power you are already using is more than enough and the set up is right ... that's why you are still dry and not in the hospital.

They were raced, but with low power and NOT JACKED UP.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sawed Up AND Burned Maybe BE Too Strong

I won't say I miss spoke....but

About 1984 Ernie Dawe and I started a class called C-NOD. It was an Addictor Boat and a 30 Tohatsu. We had raced these boats in the ocean...and basically run them everywhere with no mishaps.

As soon as the MERCURY RACING people heard of a one engine, one boat class (The next day at an APBA Convention)...Mercury offered the Merc Cub class...A Mercury 25 and Cougar Cub.... Mercury was fearing, and righly so, a Japanese invasion...

The problem was, the Addictor was a sea worthly, fun boat to drive and Cougar Cub would turn over in a heartbeat...I IN FACt never turned one over, except in my mind. I went testing with Betty Cook, and they turned the mother over in front of me going about 25-30... Dick something who worked for Betty Cook had his NOVICE SON driving, and he turned it over first lap...

Just an FYI: Charlie Strang's answer to C-NOD was to offer APBA the 15 A and 45 SS Evinrude/Johnson motor, if they'd keep C-NOD OUT....Ernie said build me the motors and we'll move C-NOD to OPC...OPC dropped C-NOD before anyone outside California and Minnesota heard of it....A dumb move, I always thought..

Enjoy the Cougar Cub, just be careful..

Post Thanks / Like

Default 15 or 25

well ron you would know better than any
    about the 25 and cub combination,,,,,,,,
    i thought it was the A/J 15 that they made then that was used
    i know they had it on the water mouse
    so if it was the 25 im corrected,,,,,,,,

in mini gt or gp the 25 was used
    but these were mostly 12' boats
    wider and longer,,,,,,,,,lots more stable

but still these cubs are fun LITTLE boats
    should break 30 with the 25 set up properly
    and if add more power,,,,,,,,
    just be respectfull of a small boat not built to go 40+
    and just have fun with it
    john

Post Thanks / Like

This hull does 24.3mph on gps with stock 9.9omc w/15" mid,tilt pin in 3rd hole in,the hull is designed for 20"mid,your xd is 20",I agree w/Fred you need to jack that motor,way up....because this is a true tunnel w/ no center pod and it gets no air under till about 40+mph,your water line is at the bottom of the tunnel not the bottom of the sponson....@ this time keep the load light 3gal. can max,small if no battery,no fat friends etc.....if you need more info I need a pict of your exact set up and your weight.....very fun boat,still have mine,watch the turns!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you AFRERU... if you dont mind what is your email I can sen you some pics.

Thread Information