Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Merc 400 Stock Block 4 cylinder 44 cu.in. For Sale

CANADIAN PRAIRIES REGION John (Taylor) Gabrowski's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc 400 Stock Block 4 cylinder 44 cu.in. For Sale

Merc 400 seasoned stock block 44 For Sale.

This prime "used" seasoned 4 cylinder engine block For Sale comes with crankcase cover, inspection port covers, exhaust cover, water jacket cover and end caps. It is stock bore 44 cubic inches with .004 cylinder wall to piston skirt clearances per cylinder. All cylinders show minimal wear and no scoring or overheating problems. Combustion chambers show normal carbon deposits associated with 2 stroke petroleum oils being used. This engine was disassembled by cutting its Merc factory wire and lead seal. This Merc 400 is a center of cylinder sparkplug earlier series block that would use Champion J4J cold series sparkplugs or equivilents in other makes. All threaded holes are in good shape. There was no welding ever done to the block or its listed components. Factory painting coats the block. An excellent block for Modified outboard racing use.

Asking $150.00 plus UPS shipping cost to where ever it goes to.

Email me at - catwerx@hotmail.com

*PS: Sorry, no pistons, other block innards or outer periferrals are any longer available.

*Due to this engine being offered to the racing community no warranty is given or implied as for racing could mean emminent and possible self destruction due to the forces involved when engines are raced.

Post Thanks / Like

John, this would be perfect restitution for your mis-statements regarding the stuff I got (and didn't get) from you. I'd even send back the Anzani carb adapters you accidentally wrapped up and sent. Why don't you think about it for a few days before you respond ...
    Last edited by Mark75H; 09-09-2008 at 08:22 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default In some circles this on your part would be called a "shake down"

Sam! pardon me but the "other" I was an agent for, got me some bottles of wiskey for the favor. Two (2) Jack Daniels, my favourite and some cheap Minhaus Creek beers during.

Injecting yourself all over the place and now here is a attempt to "shake down" some one, a vieled form of extortion, that you were some how hard done by some where? Where? Restitution? You can buy this engine block the same way anyone else can in terms stated. The block sells, the money is mine for some more good coolers and drinks. My garage fridge empties too soon when its hot out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I got a whole box of un-used Anzani carb adapters I should sell.

Sam, they are not Anzani carb adapters, they are Hot Rod type carb adapters. I have a whole series of Anzani carb adapters that were tried and abandoned but kept as momentos or paper weights? I don't know but I could post the Anzani ones on a thread for comparison purposes. The Hot Rod ones are cast and precision finished machined. The Anzani ones are hand carved hunks of plate using a file, die grinder or Dremel. They are all different for the same brand of engine. But this discussion about Anzani does not belong here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default You don't follow good hobbyist mechanical practices?

David:

I take it that you don't bother to use and do a long petal feeler guage check of the cylinder wall to pistom skirt clearance with the crank assembly still all in situ before you pull the crank assembly out of an engine block? And write stuff down the information for future reference in your "book" do you? ........I do. It makes for good hobbyist practices. For me its just a serious hobby, what about you?

As for what happened to the old pistons? They were small wrist pin types, that got chemically cleaned and were sold with that box of 20 others for cheap to give the buyer some spares or for use. He might sell a few to his friends. I have more than enough large wrist pin rods and newer large wrist pin type pistons for any future maintennance of existing complete engines here. Being a packrat helps no one when others need a break.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wrong Tool, Wrong Idea

A feeler gage is not the tool used to determine piston to cylinder wall clearance.

Piston to cylinder wall clearance is defined by the actual pistons used.

John apparently neither knows how to measure nor what he is measuring.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 09-10-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clearance.............

Can you say 'Snap Gauge'?
    Charley Bradley

Thread Information