Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Run By A Quincy Flathead 6 cylinder?

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhhhhhhh! OK.........

Now I'm really in love!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Idea

Not to complicate matters too much, but could you fit trim to the engine? This might allow a little greater flexibility in propeller selection.

Of course it is easy to make such a suggestion from 2,500 miles away!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water Injection?

J-Dub,
    That's a nice looking setup.
    I noticed there are no water injection bosses on the elbows. Do you have plans to add this? It adds a very significant boost to low/mid-range hp, possibly allowing use of a higher pitch prop.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

HEY! Keep the suggestions coming!
    As for the power trim. Makes perfect logic, but ain't gonna happen at this point.
    Water injection: We do have a set of elbows with water injection on them. Being we are not planning to run competition (yet) with it. Acceleration is not a big concern at this point.
    Keep in mind, we haven't even tested yet. Don't count either suggestion all the way out. We also have done a fair amount of math with the gear ratios we have available, props will be the next trick.
    Our next resource we are going to TRY to tap is the Lil' Fox Racing team of Rich and Paul Fuchslin.

J-Dub

Post Thanks / Like

Water injection is really about moving the (near) peak hp around--something like a transmission. With the flatheads, this makes for a very fat hp curve, possibly moving near peak HP down the scale as much as 1000 RPM during the injection period. It's really about HP required vs HP available, or the "load curve" of the boat. For example, if you have what you feel is a great prop for a kilo run, but find that it tends to be very sticky or wants to "hang" at some lower RPM, then water injection at that point will become your Best Friend Forever.

Frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default That is one good explanation.

A few years back when I restored a D Flathead with water injected stacks, when I ran it on the Chaparral F hydro I did not hookup the water injection electrically to action it for the runs I did. Now after hearing this from Frank I really regret I didn't because it would have made one real noticeable difference accellerating. Maybe a next time and another Flathead. Anyone need another 4 cylinder Flathead restored? hint! hint! I still have the Chaparral hydro ready and waiting as a testbed for next spring-summer 2009.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of us are looking forward to this happening. We wish you all the luck. Depending on how things develope, I may be among some of those on the bank to watch and record the runs.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default What a fire has been lit!

It sure looks like we are finally see how fast a Flathead six can go fully held down for all its worth. Somehow there should be a backup engine available in case of some unforseeable problem hampering the effort. This is so cool!

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Bill Van's comment "fired in anger".
    Anyone who has seen and heard these critters understand what he means.
    I love that sound and I still have 1 CD left.
    I ain't partting with that one!!!!!
    Good luck guys! Hope you break 150.
    Also hope someone gets a recording of the song a 6 Looper sings that is compatible with BRF postings.
    Once again Sam, What do we need?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Water injection in the pipes is simple and works!!

J-Dub:

After reading your post on whether or not you were going to try to hook up the water injection on the pipes on the Looper 6, I have the following comments for you to consider.

I am convinced that the water injection would be as much or more help on a Kilo run as in competition, as it would allow you to run more prop that you might be able to ordinarily. It has been a long time since I have seen one of these motors run, and I have never driven one or been in a boat with one on the transom, but no matter how much power or torque a engine has, if there is a way to help "get over the hump" you might want to consider it. I used water injection to set a kilo record in the mid 80's that I could not even pull the prop after breaking over on plane without it. That prop allowed me to run thru the kilo probably 5-7 MPH faster than if I had not been using it, as I would have never been able to get it going after the boat initially broke over on plane. It is a very simple set up, and does not require a lot of expense or effort to rig up. If you are further interested in how it can be done, access the following thread from BRF started 1-5-07. http://www.boatracingfacts.co/forums...ead.php?t=3748

This thread is under "water injection questions from the Quincy Forum. If you are not able to access it let me know and I will either fax or e-mail you a copy of the thread. You have a lot of folks pulling for you to get this engine on the water and thru the traps, so best of luck. You probably have the best "library" of quincy flathead reference information right here on BRF with Gene East, Frank Volker, etc. Jerry Peterson of course could also be invaluable from an information standpoint.

add: the adress I put in for the thread does not show complete as typed and I can not seem to correct it with the edit feature. To correct the adress add after the forward slash after the word "forums/" the two words "show thread and then the rest of the adress. If you still can't get to it let me know and I will send the info another way if you want it.
    Last edited by Bill Van Steenwyk; 11-08-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add to information access

Thread Information