Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OVERHEATED 2000 Rude XP

Post Thanks / Like

Default OVERHEATED 2000 Rude XP

Hello Folks!

I own a 1989 200 Evinrude XP which overheated briefly.

As soon as the alarm went off I shut the motor down. I checked the Bobs nosecone to make sure it was clear.

After a couple of miutes of cool time, I restarted the engine. The alarm continued to sound off, but there was a nice stream of water comming from the telltale so I let it idle. The temp guage returned to cool and the alarm turned off.

I decided to bring the boat up on plane, but at about 3000 rpm the engine began to sputter like it was dropping cylinders or something. I slowed down to idle and then brought the boat back up on plane and the engine began to sputter at 3000 rpms again. It ran fine until I got to 3000 rpms.

The engine did not overheat anymore so I ran the boat back to the dock like it was (about a 15 minute ride).

Fearing that I had burned a piston or something, I ran a compression check when I got home. ALL cylinders checks out at a healthy 93 psi.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is there a rev limiter that kicks in during an overheating situation to prevent major engine damage?

2) If there is such a device, can it be reset by disconnecting the battery?

3) If #2 is not it, what the heck is going on?

PS - While doing the compression check I noticed there are two temp sensors at the top of each cylinder bank. The wires on the left cylinder bank (on the port side of the boat) were disconnected. One wire is tan while the other is white with a black stripe. They appear to connect to two similarly color keyed wires on the power pack. I reconnected them, but have not run the engine on the water yet. Could this have been the problem??

Please help! Any comments are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

1) Yes, It's called S.L.O.W

2) To reset, the engine temp must be back to normal operating temp and the key switch must be cycled off and back on agian.

3) If that doesn't work call me 707-878-2443 (ask for Jeff in the boat shop)and I will walk you through it.

The black/white wire is for the quik start function ( advances timing on start up)...tan wires are for over heat. Disconecting them will not cause it to go into S.L.O.W.

Are you using the VRO pump...?
    Jeff 93-C

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the VRO pump. Just had it replaced this year.

Thread Information