Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Where The Action Is

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just remembered that the cameras we were assigned were not Rolliflexes, which were top of the line cameras from the 20's on, but Yashica D's. But they were twin lenses like the Rolliflexes and yes, same a you, you had to look down into the ground glass viewfinder. And they were that same 2 1/4 square format also. It took a little getting used to taking pictures of race boats because the bow of the boat faced left as I panned to the right while focusing. Through the viewfinder, the boat was aiming the opposite direction from where it really was going. The film had a paper backing which had to be removed prior to loading on the reel for processing. Peeling the tape from the film which held the paper in place would cause a fluorescent static discharge if you pulled too fast. The roll of film held 12 frames. That picture you linked to is a great one. What I would do to make it even better is crop out everything else except the boats. It would really be a crowded looking shot in a race.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smittythewelder View Post
    My dad had an old Ikoflex like that; different film format, "two-and-a-quarter-square" rather than 35mm. Shot lots of what ultimately became color slides with it. I felt a little, what, dorky using that camera, and had a little trouble getting the full attention of a subject because you hold the camera at chest-level and look down into a ground glass to focus. Seemed more natural to bring an SLR in front of your face, and the subject knew your were just about to take the shot, and not to blink or rub her nose or whatever.

"I fell in love easy and often in those days," oh Ron, cracks me up!! But in my case, I might put that as, "The gals sure had me jumping through a lot of hoops in those days!" IF ONLY I could have been one of the cool guys that can make THEM jump through hoops, LOL.

. . . and did photography for PLAYBOY, oh, man!!!

Whoa, here's a fresh example of getting THE SHOT:
    http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...288#post155288
    While I was lucky to get that shot it certainly isn't the most in focus shot.

I have been working on using back button focus which is assigning the auto focus to a different button other than the shutter button which is used only to take the picture. When at a race I usually carry two cameras a Canon 7D with a 17-55 and Canon 7D mkII with a 100-400. The mkii I has been using this spring at baseball games and track meets and have programmed the auto focus to the back button , but the other body I had not done that yet. So at the start of that race I was to close for the 100-400 and quickly switched to the other camera , hit the back button to focus, which I did not program , and hit the shutter button which where the auto focus still was. It didn't have time to gain clear focus so it isn't the best shot. A valuable lesson learned and it has been corrected.

I am using Lightroom as my photo processing software and it is really good , it can fix most things except focus. I can even scan old pictures and negatives and run it through Lightroom to correct scratches and orther problems. I love that software.

I took this at Pleasent Prairie in the fall of 2015 , a much better shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Master Oil Racing Team liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is excellent Dale. There is nothing wrong with that focus. And I like the cropping. It's got all the action..all the colors...and all the drivers are focused on speed. Rich's lead is a big advantage, but with everyone hammer down doesn't mean he will come out of the corner in the lead. Probably will, but the photo shows some fierce competition and Brinkman might tuck in behind if the others push hard right to the turn. A very good shot Dale.

Thanks racingfan1 thanked for this post
    Likes racingfan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have a hydro start very similar to this Wayne. I was standing on top of the Prop Riders trailer which was right at the edge of the water at the start/finish line. That shooting down on instead of across the water made for some neat pictures.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone ever use a Hasselblad?
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

You're causing me to reach way back in my memory Dean, but I think Hasselblad replaced the Rolliflex as the preferred medium format camera in the sixties or maybe earlier. I never used one, but my cousin took many very fine pictures with one. It was excellent for portraits, landscapes, commercial work, but not for sports as the 35mm format was the choice by photographers needing a lightweight, fast camera with plenty of exposures per roll.

Post Thanks / Like

Who used Hasselblads? The rich guys! That was the Mercedes Benz of cameras in its day.

I had a succession of fairly primitive old things until I finally got a slightly used Minolta SR-2 35mm SLR with a couple of lenses, good lenses, which was something new for me, and the potential of the camera was well beyond the skills or imagination of the photographer.

That model was the last Minolta that called for you to carry an exposure meter around on your neck with all the other stuff. The first of those I had was a hand-me-down from my dad, from the Forties, metal case, must've weighed a couple of pounds, LOL. All these kids with their tiny digitals and camera phones ought to have to carry an old exposure meter around for a week, for educational purposes. Oh, and carry one of the old, heavy, all steel tripods around on their shoulder, watching for a place to set up. That was another of my dad's hand-me-down "gifts." Yet that steel tripod was so stable, I liked using it (not carrying it) more than the newer aluminum tripod and unipod I got later, and I still have it, gathering dust in a closet. Besides camera work, it makes a wonderful base for a strong binoculars or spotting scope.

Older guys will recall that one of the minor but good little camera-related developments of the late-Sixties was camera shops selling woven fabric neck-straps and shoulder-straps for cameras and other gear that were a couple inches wide, to replace the skinny little leather straps that came with the equipment. Seems like I usually had three or four objects slung around my neck when I went to shoot pictures in those days. Now all I have is a little Panasonic digital I bought 10-12 years ago, weighs nothing, drops in a jacket pocket, automatically adjusts for everything. I don't do anything you could call photography any more, and use this unit for such things as sequence shots of a transmission I'm rebuilding in case the job drags on and I forget how things go together.

Post Thanks / Like

I should clarify my statement regarding the Hasselblad Smitty. It was a status camera for the rich for sure, but I was referring to the professional guys. These were the famous photograpers taking pictures of famous people, the portrait guys who needed a great camera outside the studio, the architects, commercial photographers, etc that make money and the camera was a tool. They could write off the expenses related to the Hasselblads and lenses.

You're exactly right on the straps Smitty. They were the best cheapest investment out there to improve photo taking. Those wide straps took a load off your shoulders and neck. And they were much easier to install than those skinny leather straps that you had to be a sailor to figure out how to thread them through the D rings and back through the loops on the strap to adjust them or to keep them from slipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a few more from the Pro Nationals at Lake Parker in 1981. I didn't take many photos then only three rolls of B&W. I hand rolled my own and they usually averaged 36 frames, except when the 100 foot roll ran out and it could be ten to twenty or so frames on a roll. I had to do some editing on the computer to make these OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Jeff Lytle thanked for this post
    Likes Jeff Lytle liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The second picture is Rod Walk V-35 , Jack Kugler V-100 but who is the F-20?

Thread Information