Thread: Where The Action Is

Post Thanks / Like

Default before every good finish...

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver
    Joe Johnson from Vacaville, CA about to make a tough decision going into turn 1. Joe took second at his first nationals in 250 runabout with VRP. Photo by Teri Ziemer.
    ...there's usually a good thrash. Who all is helping you here, Joe?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters

Portland, Oregon USA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not Much Help.....

From me, I am in the driving suit. I believe that Joe had just stuck another piston. He can re-tell that story of expensive learning for everyone. I had just broken something on my 250 R and my parts box was in Joe's boat.

Fortunately, right after this it was determined that starting clock was malfunctioning and the first heats of 250R were run again. Chris Hellsten was "head of the class" again this year with good starts and a lightening quick boat. The "field" suffered with some attrition and a few gun jumpers. All year, 250 runabout was a great class and will be again in 2006.

Joe ended-up having a great day. He quickly got the hang of the 250 runabout and should contend this year for first.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Cameraboy
    ...there's usually a good thrash. Who all is helping you here, Joe?
    David, actually that's me in the driving suit. you can tell the difference, there is no gray hair and no bald spot.

Actually, the help came rom Rich Fuchslin, Deke Johnson, and Mike Thirlby, though he was not involved when the picture was taken. The perfect example of everyone helping everyone, the way this port is supposed to be!!!!!!!!

David Weaver DID come in very handy, since he has new pistons close by.

Something Wayne mentioned earlier shows in the picture of me running. Coming up for the start the inside was a MESS, so I want wide. I was able to keep all my speed going through the first turn, and even though I took the long way through the turn, coming out with that much speed worked in my favor.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stand Corrected

Yep, Joe you are right. That's you with all that hair not me. By the way, your quote should read David "had" pistons.....before you found and solved your issue there were not many left....

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Preserving images

I just picked up a plastic sheet for storing transparencies that is going bad. Did 5 in a row. Some aren't identifiable, but I believe it is 350 hydro. The venue is Springfield Pro Eastern Divisionals 1977. Much of the stuff from 77 was crammed up & the plastic pages reverting to goo. While I tranfer them into archival sheets I will clean them and post some. Don't want to overload 1977 but need to kill two birds with one stone. My new computer with all the mega pic downloads still doesn't talk to the internet, so its still slo go.

P.S. More Teri Ziemer photos

Post Thanks / Like

Default DePue 1974

Been a while since I had time to scan transparencies. Lighting was poor from where I was in the pits, but the computer helps. It was overcast and low water at DePue that year.

Post Thanks / Like

A few more pics from DePue 1974. Sorry for the quality, but they are going bad. Denny Henderson located a bunch of old slides from the 70's and found the images all gone. So use'm or lose'm.

Post Thanks / Like

Some runabouts from the PRO Nationals, Winona, Minnesota 1975. BTW, where are Bob and Judy Smith? They sure helped put on some good races up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default East meets West

On the Formula Series (formerly Formula250.org) site, I discovered a few photos from years gone by amongst the photos from more recent times

Including this photo of Messrs König & Danisch. Talking of Bernhard Danisch, does anyone know his whereabouts? - last I heard he was spending half his time in Germany and the other half in Florida....

Photo source: http://www.formulaseries.net/main/
    Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/92958422@N00/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Corin for posting the pictures of Dieter Konig and Bernie Danisch. Bernie was a masterful boatbuilder. I rigged out and drove several of his hulls in the mid 70's, but only met him once. Walt Blankenstein & I went through Checkpoint Charlie where he smuggled in a calculator for Bernie to convert John Yale's picklefork hydro measurement's from inches to millimeters. Dieter Konig had to go through a different entrance from us but he said there would not be any problems. We met up a little later, then went to a place where we had dinner with Bernie and passed the boat plans and calculator.

Thread Information