Thread: Where The Action Is

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alex 1978

I am used to this thread always having some posts, and stand back so others can add some great stuff. But it seems like it dried up the last few days so I thought I'd put some pics up.

These are from a heat at Alexandria Louisiana in 1978. I'll bet David Woodell was there. I don't know who a lot of these kids are from Formula 350 , but if they heard about BRF....maybe some of them will see their start. Some may have never gone on in their racing career, but I have talked to a lot of people over the years who said...."I used to race boats". Well....if you have, and want to go back to check out those days.........here is where to do that! BRF is where you go......if you want to know!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

H-2.........wonder if that was Jim Kirts, Dan's son?

Post Thanks / Like

Could be Jeff. It's eagle eye boat racing detectives like you that keep us running round. I checked my files but as most of us did at the time, I didn't keep all the pages of the roster or the final. X is Eileen Van Steenwyk driving one of the R&B drug smuggling-bad -glue-from Mexico hydros. Sorry Bill Van, but this is history. The No. 23 boat is Scott Fletcher from the North Texas Boat Club.

Post Thanks / Like

#3 is Tom Kirts Jr in a Pugh, the boat was built as a 125cc boat, but they ran an 80 on it instead. It new at Constantine, Mi. earlier that year. H2 is indeed Jim Kirts. The boat was a Terrel(sp?) Those boats were always finished in a smooth coat of polyester resin.

Wow, another Hedlund photo! I guess that just further shows that East Tennessee and the North West have a common group of "individuals"

Are you sure that top photo is Alex? It looks more open and less green than I remember...but then I was real fast too
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epugh66 View Post
    #3 is Tom Kirts Jr in a Pugh, the boat was built as a 125cc boat, but they ran an 80 on it instead. It new at Constantine, Mi. earlier that year.
    Take another look at the transom angle on that boat!

David_L6

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    These are from a heat at Alexandria Louisiana in 1978. I'll bet David Woodell was there.
    No doubt, I was there. I've missed very few races at Alex. The ones I've missed were all due to work. In 1978 I was 15 so work didn't interfere like it does now.

Quote Originally Posted by epugh66 View Post
    Are you sure that top photo is Alex?
    I think you're correct Eric. I don't think that's Alex in the top photo. Lake Buhlow isn't deep enough to float that pick up boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    This is a great photo. An OSY400 heat of racing. 2 boats catch a a gust of wind at the finish line.

Can you Name:

1) The event?

2) The Drivers?

3) The Year?

Photo by Jean Tennell
    David i think it was the pro national im thinking 2000 but cant remember the drivers

Post Thanks / Like

I've been slack on some of these photo threads. I need to call Pete DeLackner. He said he had more photos than I did and its been more than two years since he said his daughter would turn on his computer and teach him how to use it. Here are some from the Pro Nationals at Alex in 1979. Pete's stuff goes way back on the West Coast. I need to awaken my challenge to him. I want to see some of Pete's photos. (I'm hoping he is lurking around here)

Post Thanks / Like

A few more photos from Alex 1979.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Photo's as Always

Wayne,

I also enjoy looking back on "the good ole days". That is just a super shot of Mal Hardin in his 250 hydro. I recognize (I believe) #66 Jimmy Aderholt, V-12 Barry Anderson with a Quincy Z. Who is F-67 in 250?

Thread Information