Thread: Where The Action Is

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim Stone was driving F-67. I am going to have to replace my scanner soon. Although the film is not as sharp as didgital, I am having to "sharpen" the scans more and more. Anything that is blown up just a little is getting to look very bad. But, I figured better to post them than trash them, because it might cause someone out there to make a comment or bring up some history. Like you asking about F-67 David. I didn't know that was Jim until I looked it up on the roster.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face F 67

F 67 was jim stone's boat # when he ran his own boats. when i meet jim he was running pinner hydros an A an B loopers in 1970.Look at the way he is holding the steering wheel at the botton he is the only person i ever saw drive that way.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Stones driving suit

I really did not know Jim that well in the early 70's time frame, but is it possible that as Danny mentions, the pictures of him are in his own boat in either A or B but he may have been driving for Elmer Grade at the same time in the larger classes. I don't remember after all these years whether Elmer ran the smaller classes under C or not.

The reason for the question is that if you look at the color of the coveralls Jim is wearing, they are the same off color green coveralls that Elmer also always wore and that color also was close to what his boats were painted with contrasting with natural wood finish. Just saw one of his old hydro's at Lake Alfred for sale.

Makes me wonder if he (Jim) was maybe driving both his and Elmers equipment at that time.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not remember F 67 being Jim's number Danny. Thanks for your input. I am in a hurry right now so I didn't do a close check, but I think Jeff Hutchins was driving for Elmer at Alex. This is the last batch for Alex '79 for now. Plenty more to go. We blew our C Konig before the finals and sold it on the beach as is and quit 500 hydro. So I got these pics in the finals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ed Thirlby

Just wondering if for sure that is ed thirlby in the M-4 runabout and if so kind of motor is he running?

Collin Thirlby
    "Team Green"

Post Thanks / Like

It might be Ed, Collin, but I'm pretty sure it's Todd Brinkman, Jr. He and Ed were in the same qualifying heat, but Ed didn't make the finals. Todd scratched V88 in the finals and instead drove M4. The motor is one of the C Service "Mercs".

Tim Small
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jim Stone

Jims number was always F-67. When he started driving for Elmer he kept his 250 hydro for a year or so, then he sold it and I drove the 250 from then on. I always painted and lettered Elmers boats. I still see him and he is still as sharpe as a tack. I just got my password back and will start posting if you are interested in my days with Jim and Jeff. We always traveled together and had alot of fun until Jims death. The reason my boats are green today was because of the green boats we ran back in the day. Elmers Fleet was our trailers name. The lettering read Jim O Stone, Jeff O Hutchins, and Tim O Small, Elmers wife was Grace Grade, a real irish lady. She wanted everything green, and Elmer always made sure that it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Elmers Trailer

If i recall this right Elmers trailer also had (if you are not irish fake It )on it. that was a nice looking rig.

Post Thanks / Like

We are very interested Tim. I think I can speak confidently for the PRO division. I have enjoyed reading your previous posts and the insights you bring from the inside. It's a good thing you got your password back to be able to post again. It was good seeing and talking to you at Lake Alfred, and to my surprise also Jeff Hutchins. I remember that trailer, but I never knew that you painted all that stuff. What I remember most about you from those days was being blasted backwards from shrapnel that was slung from a magneto breaking apart.

Post Thanks / Like

It's late...& I'm tired. I forgot where I post the OPC pics so tonite...they go here. These are from Baytown, Texas 1974. It's the same place they race now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information