Thread: Where The Action Is

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I've been busy....

....& neglected my boat racing family. Since the total collapse of drilling for oil and gas I have almost caught up with government paperwork, and I decided to take a break. I didn't know where to start so I just went into the darkroom and picked up a binder laying on the floor (I had so much stuff crammed into my corner that Debbie had that look.) I just moved everything into the darkroom, but only filed the papers--not the binders (not to mention that it is a work in progress.

The top binder was my "Miscellaneous Outboards" named binder. Unfortunately, it's not very thick. I just picked out this first page and scanned these pics. For the historians this is an AOF race at Marine Creek Lake near Fort Worth, Texas that took place in August of 1978. Some people I knew.....most I don't. Unfortunately, the only modified races we had in Texas were at the topmost, and in Oklahoma. Hope some of you can put the names to the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

34-H is Mike O Brien

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David and Bill. Here are some more. Another of Larry. I didn't remember Mike O'Brian being there, but then again, I didn't remember Curtis dumesnil being there until I looked at the pic just before I scanned itl

Free Spirit Racing Team wboxell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

55-H is Jeff Linenfelder(sp).

Wayne, see if you have any pics of a Butts boat with a 3 cyc OMC on it. I think that was the year I loaned my EMH rig to Jeff Young (A/B driver) so he could run it, and try to sell it for me. Needed to feed my alky habit! bill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne

You posted some photos above from the Winona, MN pro nationals in 1976. I won the 125cc hydro class there and you took some photos and wrote an article for Powerboat magazine about that race as I recall. Do you have any shots left from the 125ccH race ?

Mark

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Wayne

I was at the Marine Creek Lake race in Fort Worth. I recognize most of those boats, but I was to young to remember names. I do recognize Mike Obrian of course, because he continued racing for some time in Mod. Did you guys see all those old Hedlunds ! I remember a ton of those baots at the Mod races when I was a kid. Some day I am going to clean out our phtograph bins and try to get them scanned. I bet we have thousands of pics from so long ago to present. With the digital age upon us it is much cheaper than film now ! Easier I hear to get them onto the computer too.

Thanks for your contributions, I truly enjoy seeing all your pics.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default I've been out of the loop for more than a week now...

....I gettin' behind more than caught up. Art & Nancy Neadeck are down on the Texas coastline and Tim and Ann Chance are coming down soon. I haven't connected with either yet. But it's great to hear from you guys.

First ...Mark. I do have more pics from the 1976 nationals at Winona. I was busy trying to get a trifecta of a Worlds, Kilo, Nationals, plus competition record in 700 hydro in 1976, so I enlisted the services of Stan Schmidt, sports editor of the Winona Daily News to write the Powerboat story for me, while I covered the photos. I have to check back on my notes from then, but I seem to remember also that you set a record at Yelm that same year. Check the archives here because I posted a B&W mug shot of you from that same year. I will look back to see what I might have, but in return, I would like you to tell us about that race. When I first saw your post about Len Keller and responded, I thought that was you. & again I say...tales from the days of working in the Keller shop would be appreciated by many.

David...I've got a few more to post. Some color, some B&W. You are right about digital. Joe Rome and I always talk about what we could have done with video's, DVD, digital photos, computer downloads, etc. It would have been fantastic. But the next best thing is that the digital world lets us scan the old stuff without a lot of hassle and really good results. You can make some of the old pics even better. So David...DO IT! Get a scanner and start sending us some of those thousands of photos. I remember your family from the racing days before I quit, so I know you've got some good stuff. Put up the photos along with the tales.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frustration....

....the name says it all. This series was from the 1974 PRO Eastern Divisionals at Winona, Minnesota. I don't recall whether or not the race had actually started yet or they were milling before the start when Jerry Simison's motor quit. I couldn't find who was riding deck, but it looks like he was about to take his helmet off before he tried to restart the Konig. Since no other boats went by during that time, I assume it was prior to the start.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe it's been that long since I posted a picture here. My favorite is Random Shots From the Pits, but I picked up a binder and this is the first pic I saw. Don't know who it is. Looks like he is chasing Bruce Nicholson. It was taken at the Pro Nationals at Hinton in 1977.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this Skip Birbarie? It is at Hinton also in 1977.

Thread Information