Thread: Where The Action Is

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It does look like his arms Mike...and although the profile didn't look quite right, I think you and Skip are correct and it is John. So now the question is...are you guys coming to the DePue Reunion? I figure you will Mike...but what about you Skip? And who will contact John?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

One way or another I will be there! I'm enjoying the Baldy's thread too-great stuff.

Skip

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

I remember you and Mal both telling me that you were both very close. Too bad that Mal had to take himself out to avoid the wreck. While I didn't have any control over it I've always felt bad about it.

The more I think about it I think it was one of Uncle Nick's Konigs but I can't remember how John did. My bell was rung after that wreck!

Skip

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one from the 1978 Nationals at San Antonio.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Kirts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default jim stone

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Steenwyk View Post
    I really did not know Jim that well in the early 70's time frame, but is it possible that as Danny mentions, the pictures of him are in his own boat in either A or B but he may have been driving for Elmer Grade at the same time in the larger classes. I don't remember after all these years whether Elmer ran the smaller classes under C or not.

The reason for the question is that if you look at the color of the coveralls Jim is wearing, they are the same off color green coveralls that Elmer also always wore and that color also was close to what his boats were painted with contrasting with natural wood finish. Just saw one of his old hydro's at Lake Alfred for sale.

Makes me wonder if he (Jim) was maybe driving both his and Elmers equipment at that time.
    That was when Jim first Joined us, He was driving his own 250 and anything else I would give him.He sure loved driving. Tim small also started about the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow!

I had not posted anything here for awhile, and if I don't get back to it, I will never finish. I picked up my binder that was titled "Misc. Outboard Racing" and it was the one with transparencies. I picked up that one because they are much easier to do. I just pulled out the four transparencies on the top and scanned them. Some are similar to ones I have posted on BRF before, but I started putting a B on the frame so I don't duplicate them. I don't post much anywhere else because I would never get through them. Not sure I will anyway. But when I pulled up this thread to post these, I saw the last post was by my good friend, and one of the most laid back but fierciest competitors I ever raced against. Hutch. Jeff Hutchins. Cancer got him. I was very glad to see him at Winterhaven a few years ago. He never posted much of anything, and I can remember how glad I was he commented on the previous post. I was hoping that he would do more, but it didn't happen. I will wait to post the pictures I had scanned. I can't do that now, thinking about Jeff. Later!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,

Somehow I never knew of Hutch's passing until I saw your post this morning. This may be the wrong place to write this but I can't help but remember all the good times and fierce races with Jeff over the years. He was truly a gentelman, friend, mentor and one of the best drivers ever. Whenever we were entered in the same class I knew that we were in for a great race albeit Jeff would typically win out. Jeff could drive ANYTHING although, I do remember talking to him after his Mod 50 experience and he said to me; "....oh no you dont want to try that, those things hurt"!

If I ever figure out how to scan and post pic's I'm sure that I have some of Jeff and his inimitable (unmistakable) style. I only wish I had replied to his posts here when I saw them. If I had to pick the top 5 drivers I ever competed against or watched, Jeff would be high on the list. RIP Hutch!

Skip Birbarie

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you completely Skip, A few years ago before Jeff passed away, Joe Rome and I got on the subject of Jeff. It might have been shortly after he signed on with BRF. Anyway Joe and I both agreed that Jeff was a driver's driver. In other words someone who held the respect of others he competed against and had all the qualities they knew it took to be a champion, and have fun doing it. No dirty tricks, No unsportsmanlike conduct if things did go the right way. Jeff was very laid back. He also had a stealth quality about him that was so amazing. He would sneak up behind you and be gone before you ever knew he was hiding in your roostertail.

Please learn how to scan Skip, and put up some photos and stories. It's not that hard. You just have to jump in and do it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Perfect description Wayne. The only other adjectives I can add would be modest and humble. Never one to revel in his glory and always glad to share his knowledge, as were his dad and brother Bill. A true legend.

I will start digging through my "stuff" and post more soon. Keep up the great work I'm sure I speak for many who also marvel at your recall, photos and stories.

Thread Information